Transportation from the airport

jend**

This is my first cruise and first time in Europe. What has been your experience regarding getting transportation from the airport to the port or your hotel? Do you just get a taxi when you get to the airport, or do you arrange transportation in advance? Thanks!

Jend** - I know a website that has very useful info written by a guy from the netherlands I believe. This is what he says. He has tons of info on the Gem Meditteranean trip.

From Airport to Harbor

NAME OF PORT: Moll D'Adossat Terminal

NAME/LOCATION OF PIER: Moll Adossat, Spain

Show the above to the taxi driver.

TO/FROM AIRPORTS:

11 miles, approximately 20-25 minutes.

TRANSPORTATION:

Taxi fare to/from Barcelona airport, €30 on Sundays, nights and holidays can be a little more.

Ask the taxi driver to bring you to the GEM if you arrive the port, you can not miss because you will see the GEM from a distance.

PARKING / BUS INFORMATION/

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

ILLAEXPORT Sector C, Calle 5, ALm. C-1

Consorcio Zona Franca

Zone Franca Aduanera

tel: + (34) 93 264 99 80

Jend** - I know a website that has very useful info written by a guy from the netherlands I believe. This is what he says. He has tons of info on the Gem Meditteranean trip.

From Airport to Harbor

NAME OF PORT: Moll D'Adossat Terminal

NAME/LOCATION OF PIER: Moll Adossat, Spain

Show the above to the taxi driver.

TO/FROM AIRPORTS:

11 miles, approximately 20-25 minutes.

TRANSPORTATION:

Taxi fare to/from Barcelona airport, €30 on Sundays, nights and holidays can be a little more.

Ask the taxi driver to bring you to the GEM if you arrive the port, you can not miss because you will see the GEM from a distance.

PARKING / BUS INFORMATION/

DIRECTIONS TO THE PORT:

ILLAEXPORT Sector C, Calle 5, ALm. C-1

Consorcio Zona Franca

Zone Franca Aduanera

tel: + (34) 93 264 99 80

can you direct me to the website you mentioned? I am going on the GEM Aug 23rd, 2009. thanks!

Many have mentioned here in the past that they just grab and cab and head to the ship. No advance planning at all.

We have done Barcelona twice and gone to a hotel for a few days. We do write down the name of the hotel and address to hand the cab driver, since many do not speak english. No problem at all. we then walk out of the hotel and get a cab to the ship.

If your plans are not locked down, I would strongly suggest going in at least one day early, two is better. Stay on or near Ramblas for all the sites to see, then a 10 minute cab ride to the ship.

I would never ever deal with cruiseline transfers. too much of a pain, and often even more expensive.

I was on the NCL Gem back in May 2009, I'll recommend Barcelona day tour company, they provide transportation between airport to the pier, or if you want a tour of the city before the pier you could too, they're very helpful and response to your email very quickly, and two drivers that I have encounted with spoke perfect english.

We always taxi from airports to hotels. In Europe, you will easily find ATMs in the airport to get local currency. I agree with other posters, it is a very good idea to write down or type out your destination to hand to the driver in case they don't speak English, as is usually the case in Istanbul.

This is my first cruise and first time in Europe. What has been your experience regarding getting transportation from the airport to the port or your hotel? Do you just get a taxi when you get to the airport, or do you arrange transportation in advance? Thanks!

We were on the Jewel last year starting in Barcelona. We booked our air through NCL and had an overnight flight. We landed very early in Barcelona and of course the ship had not been open for boarding yet. NCL paid for us all to take a two or three hour tour of Barcelona. It was wonderful and best of all, it was free. Our luggage was taken to the ship which was nice also.

Carolyn

Keep in mind the meter might say 20 Euro, then they hit a switch and it says 30 Euro. There is an airport fee added to your fare. There is also a port fee. I've never gone from airport to cruise port. But from airport to hotel it adds around 10 Euro and from hotel to port I think it was only around 3.

You are going to have a great time. We did the Gem in May. Try to stay in Barcelona a few days if you can. It's a great city.

We just got back from a Gem cruise out of Barcelona - amazing experience - you'll have such a great time. We took a local bus (Aerobus) from the airport to downtown and then the shuttle bus from the Columbus Monument to the ship. The bus from the airport was 4.25 Euros each and the process was very simple (we were 2 adults and 2 teenagers and each had a suitcase).

Enjoy!

Archived