SeaWorld and Zoo in San Diego

cruisequeen10

I will be in SanDiego for 1 day (b2b) and is there enough time to go to SeaWorld or the zoo. the ship arrives at 7 a.m. and departs 5 p.m. how far is it from the pier. I know that the san diegoins will know the answers to this question.

I will be in SanDiego for 1 day (b2b) and is there enough time to go to SeaWorld or the zoo. the ship arrives at 7 a.m. and departs 5 p.m. how far is it from the pier. I know that the san diegoins will know the answers to this question.

There certainly should be plenty of time for you to visit either Sea World or the the Zoo, but not enough time for both. You would want to spend a few hours at either venue.:D

I'm not sure of the distances from the pier, despite the fact that I live in San Diego, since I live in a northern suburb and am rarely in either area. However, I'm fairly sure that both are a short cab ride from the pier.

Given the choice, I would visit the Zoo - but that's strictly my preference.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your day in our fair city.

Valerie:)

They are both close and easy for a day trip. The Zoo is probably 2-3 miles and Sea Wold ~8-9miles. Public transportation would be easy to the Zoo and have never tried it to Sea World- I would imagine you would need to change buses a few times-- but honestly have no idea. Taxis are plentiful.

We live in SD and went on a coastal cruise that started from LA & 1st port was SD-- 4yr old had never been on the trolley- we took the trolley to old town, public bus from old town to zoo, public bus to trolley station & then back to the ship (could have just done bus to ship bit 4 yr old wanted to ride the trolley again)--

check out the new elephant odyssey if you choose the zoo- just opened this year.

you could manage to do both in one day if you chose to but would seem like a waste of $$ and a hectic day as you would not get the opportunity to spend quality time at either place- but if there is something specific that you want to see at both places- it is possible

clarifying--- we took the trolley to old town because 4 yr old just wanted to ride the trolley somewhere-- it wasn't necessary to do this in order to get to the zoo

and it was Cinco de Mayo-- so we walked around a bit & then went to the zoo :)

Was on the Ryndam this past May when most of our Mexican ports were not visited due to the swine flu. HAL rerouted us back to San Diego and offered a complimentary visit to the Zoo. Really enjoyed the Zoo but got tired of waiting for the tour bus to come back in the afternoon so I took a cab and that cost $9.00 and change. Well worth the visit and taxi both ways. Enjoy your cruise and San Diego. :D

Was on the Ryndam this past May when most of our Mexican ports were not visited due to the swine flu. HAL rerouted us back to San Diego and offered a complimentary visit to the Zoo. Really enjoyed the Zoo but got tired of waiting for the tour bus to come back in the afternoon so I took a cab and that cost $9.00 and change. Well worth the visit and taxi both ways. Enjoy your cruise and San Diego. :D

Which ship were you on??

We did a repositioning cruise on the Westerdam -- missed all 4 Mexican ports -- but no free anything when we got to San Diego.

Having grown up in San Diego, I have been to both locations many times over the years. I remember my first trip to Sea World with our 4th grade class field trip back in 1963. It sure has changed and improved over the years. Of course the Zoo has always been a world class operation and attempts to keep animals in enclosures which represent their natural surroundings.

My favorite is Sea World. If you visit their website, you will find several different options you can book in advance. There are several behind the scenes tours, a dolphin adventure area to spend time in the water with dolphins and my favorite is breakfast/lunch with Shamu. I have often done the lunch which offers a good buffet food selection and your tables are located along the sides of pools with the killer whales. Trainers are there with the whales as they come up to the side of the pools where you are eating. I also have always enjoyed the various shows and exhibits offered at Sea World.

Which ever location you visit, I am sure you will have a wonderful day and will not regret choosing to spend the day at one location instead of trying to squeeze both into one day.

4yr old had never been on the trolley- we took the trolley to old town, public bus from old town to zoo, public bus to trolley station & then back to the ship (could have just done bus to ship bit 4 yr old wanted to ride the trolley again)--

That really made me laugh since I had never ridden the Trolley until a couple of years ago when I was, once again, summoned for Jury Duty. I thought to myself "oh heck, why not just drive down to Fashion Valley and take the Trolley then you won't have to worry about finding parking space downtown?". I loooved the Trolley ride - I felt like a 4-year old on an adventure.:D

To the OP: if you decide to visit the Zoo instead of Sea World be sure also to check out the Panda enclosure. We also have the largest Koala population outside of Australia (we grow lots of Eucalyptus here, Koala's food of choice).

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful day in San Diego.

Valerie:)

You can't do both in a day. No way. Sea World is, like 65 bucks, whereas the Zoo is 35 dollars or so. I don't know when you are going, but I find it to be viciously hot at Sea World. I always get burned. I would choose the Zoo because it just doesn't seem as hot and I really like a zoo. Sea World is more shows than animals, so if you like shows, that is the one to go to. Remember, depending when you go, they only open around 10:00!

Thank you all for your responses. I will be on the Veendam Sep 27/09 leaving from Vancouver to the Mexico/Sea of Cortez cruise (13 days). We will be in San Diego for the 1 day and one of the girls would like to see either the zoo or sea world. I found out that sea world was $65 (ouch). The last time I was there, we didn't pay that much.

Archived