Cinque Terre, how strenuous is the walk?

travelgenie

Wow, this has been wonderful info about C.T. Now I am really excited about my plans to go there. Thanks for all the info.

In case anyone other than me does not know how to pronounce it, here is what I found

Cinque Terre = TCHEEN-quay TAIR-ay

My DH and I are thinking about going to Cinque Terre, but from Livorno. Our ship is in dock from 7:00 am. to 7:00 pm. I understand it is tricky by train, even though we have taken the train many times in Europe. Has anyone rented a car from Livorno and driven to La Spezia, parked the car, and then visited Cinque Terre? How easy/difficult would this be to do?

Any info is appreciated.:)

My DH and I are thinking about going to Cinque Terre, but from Livorno. Our ship is in dock from 7:00 am. to 7:00 pm. I understand it is tricky by train, even though we have taken the train many times in Europe. Has anyone rented a car from Livorno and driven to La Spezia, parked the car, and then visited Cinque Terre? How easy/difficult would this be to do?

Any info is appreciated.:)

We were unable to utilize this option because our visit there last month was on a Sunday (when all the car rental agencies are closed). However, Hlitner, a frequent poster, has a post about this, in which he describes renting from Hertz, which will deliver the car right to the port, and then driving to either Riomaggiore (the first town) or Monterosso (the last town), and parking in a big lot there for the day. It's about a 90-minute drive from Livorno to Riomaggiore.

We were unable to utilize this option because our visit there last month was on a Sunday (when all the car rental agencies are closed). However, Hlitner, a frequent poster, has a post about this, in which he describes renting from Hertz, which will deliver the car right to the port, and then driving to either Riomaggiore (the first town) or Monterosso (the last town), and parking in a big lot there for the day. It's about a 90-minute drive from Livorno to Riomaggiore.

Google maps may say its 90 minutes from Livorno to Riomaggiore, but it took us 60 minutes by taxi from La Spezia to Monterosso al Mare, which is a much easier drive than going to Riomaggiore. We did a lot of praying along the way to Monterosso and almost lost our lunch. The ride to Riomaggiore is truly hair-raising, particularly the last few miles before you reach the town. It’ very easy to get lost as some of the roads are closed and others shown on maps have not yet been built. If you attempt the drive, be sure that you have a current Cinque Terre map, not just one from Hertz. I have heard stories about people that got so lost that they left in frustration without ever reaching their destination.

Google maps may say its 90 minutes from Livorno to Riomaggiore, but it took us 60 minutes by taxi from La Spezia to Monterosso al Mare, which is a much easier drive than going to Riomaggiore. We did a lot of praying along the way to Monterosso and almost lost our lunch. The ride to Riomaggiore is truly hair-raising, particularly the last few miles before you reach the town. It’ very easy to get lost as some of the roads are closed and others shown on maps have not yet been built. If you attempt the drive, be sure that you have a current Cinque Terre map, not just one from Hertz. I have heard stories about people that got so lost that they left in frustration without ever reaching their destination.

Hi, Mike, I certainly hope you are not yelling at me because I do not understand why you would.

I am not talking about google maps, but I just was driven there last month, boots on the ground, and it took just 90 minutes from Livorno to Riomaggiore, and it is pretty much superhighway until you get to La Spezia.

Maybe it seemed so hair-raising to you because Marlton, NJ is so flat!:)

Hey, I grew up in Toms River, NJ, and to me, navigating the multiple traffic circles in NJ can be a lot more hair-raising!:D

Hi, Mike, I certainly hope you are not yelling at me because I do not understand why you would.

I am not talking about google maps, but I just was driven there last month, boots on the ground, and it took just 90 minutes from Livorno to Riomaggiore, and it is pretty much superhighway until you get to La Spezia.

Maybe it seemed so hair-raising to you because Marlton, NJ is so flat!:)

Hey, I grew up in Toms River, NJ, and to me, navigating the multiple traffic circles in NJ can be a lot more hair-raising!:D

Geez, was I yelling? I had the volume turned down on my computer. But then I realized that it must have been the large font that I used because of my eyesight. But that comment about Marlton being flat. We do have a land fill you know. And I much prefer the New Jersey traffic circles to the switchbacks on the road to Riomaggiore.

But seriously, we did spend 4 fabulous days at a hotel in Monterosso al Mare in June 2007. My post was really aimed at addressing browneyes7 comments about the trains being tricky. We travelled to the Cinque Terre by train from Florence, took a day trip to Pisa from CT by train, and then by train from CT to Rome. And we are 65 & 67. We found the trains to be inexpensive, quick, easy to use and on time. Based on our taxi experience from La Spezia, I personally would not choose to drive and would go by train on our next visit to CT, But to each their own. Pease. :cool:

Mike, thanks for the font clarification.

I too believe that train travel is a great way to get around Italy, and on our trip in October 2006, we used trains and buses for every place we went. But on a port day from Livorno, it can be a lot trickier due to the need for a connection in Pisa, which can be missed if the timing of your port stay (particularly arrival there) is not good.

I am not familiar with the Marlton landfill, but have very fond memories of the Marlton circle on the way between Toms River and Philadelphia!:)

I am not familiar with the Marlton landfill, but have very fond memories of the Marlton circle on the way between Toms River and Philadelphia!:)

The Marlton Circle is currently under construction and will be eliminated by a new overpass system. But the Red Lion, Rt72 and Lakehurst circles should be around for a while. I was only kidding about the Marlton landfill. Its in Voorhees. :rolleyes:

The Marlton Circle is currently under construction and will be eliminated by a new overpass system. But the Red Lion, Rt72 and Lakehurst circles should be around for a while. I was only kidding about the Marlton landfill. Its in Voorhees. :rolleyes:

The end of an era.:(

BTW, my 91- and 86-year old parents live about 10 minutes away from the Lakehurst circle, so I get refresher courses on NJ circle driving quite often!

According to Rick Steves Pisa is worth 45 minutes. He is right.

I have been known to disagree with Rick Steves (although we have a lot of respect for his books). In the case of Pisa we certainly do disagree with Mr. Steves. We think Pisa is worth only 30 minutes! :)

Hank

Archived