Passports

capt5406

Hi we are taking the cruise on the Atlantica in January, can anyone advise on the need of passports for children. Our grandchildren are 14 and 16yo. We have called Costa but have got different answers, thanks.

I never really understand the attitude, do I need a passport or not. If ever I leave Germany (even if it is only to drive 10 km to get cheap petrol in Austria - well worth it) I always take my passport, it is the most widely accepted identification there is (has a photo).

If one is on a Caribbean cruise out of say FLL and have to cut the cruise short for whatever reason and fly back from a non USA Island then there could be problems.

Ron

Then, per US government regs, you do not need a passport, just certified BC for everyone and government picture ID for anyone 16 and over.

http://www.getyouhome.gov click on USA and then Special Populations.

HOWEVER, on the Costa website it says they require passports of all travelers, and then go on to quote the US WHTI requirements (which DO NOT require passports). You will need to get a consistent answer in writing from Costa. Or, my advice, get passports and save the hassle.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/before_board/documentation/travel.htm

Then, per US government regs, you do not need a passport, just certified BC for everyone and government picture ID for anyone 16 and over.

www.getyouhome.gov click on USA and then Special Populations.

HOWEVER, on the Costa website it says they require passports of all travelers, and then go on to quote the US WHTI requirements (which DO NOT require passports). You will need to get a consistent answer in writing from Costa. Or, my advice, get passports and save the hassle.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/before_board/documentation/travel.htm

this is where it gets sticky, and could cost you the cruise. even though US gov't says no passport required, the cruisline may require you to have one. they can deny you boarding if that is their decision.

getting a passport is expensive and a pain in the butt, BUT it is very liberating to have one.

i'm getting mine renewed right now beacuse even though most countries only require that your passport does not expire in 6 months, China requires it be good for a year. had i not done the research i would not have known and been out the cost of the cruise (insurance does not cover this).

Archived