Minimum Age

jam3_mom

The cruise lines have minimum ages for their activities for liability reasons. In some cases the minimums are artificially high IMO.

You can take your kids snorkeling at any age you feel they are ready for it. Only you know your kids comfort level in the water, so you are really the best judge for if they are ready.

You can snorkel from shore in most locations, but you should know that snorkeling from a sandy beach won't be the best environment for quality snorkeling. No coral mean few fish, but sandy beaches are easiest for little kids to begin from.

The better snorkeling will be from a boat. Private operators will be your best choice. Usually they offer a more personal experience and can provide the "extra" service little kids might need.

My boys snorkeled at 5 & 7 and love it everytime we go to the Caribbean.

We have never done a cruise ship snorkeling excursion, but always either take a taxi to a good shore snorkeling spot or hire a private boat to take us out. There are lots of half day catamaran snorkel tours out there that would love to take your family out.

So if the cruise ship tours give you a hard time just head off on your own. If you know what ports you are going to this Board can help you locate good snorkel spots and tour operators.

If I not not mistaken you are going to Grand Caymen and Cozumel. Both places have excellent snorkeling. In Grand Caymen check out a place called Eden Rock. You can walk there from the tender dock. We have not snorkeled in Cozumel but I hear it is very good.

Most places have a min age for children to snorkle, does anyone know how flexible they are on this? My so will be 7 years and 11.5 months when we sail. How will they know how old he is?

If you are referring to a ship sponsored tour, the cruise ship will have all of your information. If you go the independent route, they will have to take your word for it.

Archived