Can we make the 9am water taxi to Cay Caulker?

sqerlygirl

We plan to take the water taxi to Cay Caulker...our ship arrives at 8am (hopefully). We want to make the 9am water taxi since the next departure isn't until 10:30.

Will we have time to make it? How do you get there from the pier and any tips for getting off the ship quickly?

TIA!

Charlene

IF the ship arrives as scheduled and IF you are of the first to get off the ship and catch the 1st tender over to Belize City and IF the water taxi is not full for that departure time already and IF the stars are aligned right....it is possible, but personally I would opt for the 10:30 water taxi to Caye Caulker and relax in the early morning onboard ship and not be so stressed out !

We made it last year with seconds to spare. But as the previous posted said.... IF the ship arrives and lets you off board on time. Know that there are two different Water Taxi services near by. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi Assn is right next to the swing bridge. Will probally take you 5 minutes to walk there after you get off the tender at the port village. The faster solution is to use San Perdo Express(which stops on Caye Caulker first before heading to San pedro) which is located right next to the Port village(literally right next to it). So if you're tight on time, take the San Pedro Express so you dont have to walk the extra 5 minutes. Both Taxi services leave promptly at 9am.

IMG_2866.JPG

There are two water taxi services to Caye Caulker... Caye Caulker Water Taxi and the San Pedro Express. Either one costs $12.50 for a round trip ticket.

I've used both taxi services(they're equally good and reliable), but if you're coming from a cruise ship via the port village, i'd probally suggest that you use the San Perdo Express because of it's close proximity to where you will be dropped off by the cruise ship tender.

To get to the San Pedro Express Terminal... simply walklthrough the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and the San Pedro Express Terminal will be right there(at the end of the walkway right by the water). It's literally right next door to the Port Village. http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/

If for any reason you'd rather take the Caye Caulker Water Taxi walk through the Port Village(the area where you will be dropped off)... out the main gate... take a left and continue for about 300 yards. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi Termnial is on your left right before you get to the swing bridge. http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

*Both taxi services stop off at Caye Caulker first before proceeding to San Pedro.

water-taxi.jpg

We wanted to do this when we were in Belize this spring, however, Carnival [Legend] announced that tender tickets would not be available until 9:30 am even though the ship officially anchored at 8am. People with ship sponsored tours got the first tickets. We were worried we wouldn't have enough time and took a ship tour instead.

Keep in mind though that ship and port time can vary by two hours [we actually arrived at 6am port time [8am ship time]. So if the water taxi is quoting port time, you should have plenty of time- you just have to remember to keep track of ship time on your return trip. We were told that the last tender was at 3pm for a 4 pm departure, which was only 1pm Belize time.

• 5 weeks later...

You can also catch the Coral Breeze snorkel boat right in the tourist village where your tender arrives in Belize to Caye Caulker, which is their first stop.

There you get off & tour the island while the snorkelers go do their thing.

The snorkelers then return to Caye Caulker for lunch & pick up the Caye Caulker tourist & return you to the tourist village where you get your tender back to your ship.

What could be better ?

Bill in FL

You can also catch the Coral Breeze snorkel boat right in the tourist village where your tender arrives in Belize to Caye Caulker, which is their first stop.

There you get off & tour the island while the snorkelers go do their thing.

The snorkelers then return to Caye Caulker for lunch & pick up the Caye Caulker tourist & return you to the tourist village where you get your tender back to your ship.

What could be better ?

Bill in FL

Saving $26.50 per person would be better. The tour observer offered thru coral, which is basically round trip transportation is $39. The water taxi is $12.50. Or are you saying Coral Breeze offers taxi service for less?

No, Coral Breeze charges $39 to go round trip to Cay Caulker. I have emailed San Pedro Express a few times with questions and got a quick response.

The water taxi has a fixed scheduled runs which manditorily have to travel between Belize Caye Caulker and San Pedro with standby vessels always available in case of any emergency. I can guarantee you will have access to each vessel traveling Belize and Caye Caulker.

Our water taxi is located directly beside the tourism village, which is where the cruise ship tender boats dock. you can see our vessels from the tourist village.

Yes , We are located directly beside the Fort Street Tourism Village which is where all the tender boats dock and disembark from. We are immediately to your right upon exiting Terminal four (4).
We have a large sign at our entrance and our Porters (dressed in blue uniforms) in the front to assist customers with their luggage and any information. Everyone likes to ask for John.

Yes, thank you ncboys (or should I say hi neighbor) for the great map.

We are on the Miracle in November, so after daylight savings time. The ship time should only be 1 hour ahead of the port's time.

So, we are scheduled to be there 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. The trip from Caye Caulker takes 45 minutes. The last tender is scheduled to leave the port back to the ship at 3:00 pm ship time or 2:00 pm port time (1 hour before departure).

With all that in mind, I looked at the schedules for both water taxi companies. They have a noon and a 1:30 departure. It looks like the last trip back we could make is noon, as the 1:30 departure from Caye Caulker would get us back 15 minutes too late.

So with leaving Caye Caulker at noon, we want to get there as early as possible. If we anchor as scheduled at 7 am and are off the ship and are on shore within 90 minutes, we could make the 7:30 am departure at Caye Caulker water taxi, or the 8:00 departure at either Caye Caulker or San Pedro.

On the return, both have a noon departure, which we absolutely could not miss or we would miss the ship. Caye Caulker has a 11:00 departure and San Pedro does not, so that would get us back early if we got tired or hungry.

So with the earlier time going out and more options coming back, Caye Caulker looks like the best deal, even though it is a bit further walk from the tender port.

Yes, thank you ncboys (or should I say hi neighbor) for the great map.

We are on the Miracle in November, so after daylight savings time. The ship time should only be 1 hour ahead of the port's time.

So, we are scheduled to be there 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. The trip from Caye Caulker takes 45 minutes. The last tender is scheduled to leave the port back to the ship at 3:00 pm ship time or 2:00 pm port time (1 hour before departure).

With all that in mind, I looked at the schedules for both water taxi companies. They have a noon and a 1:30 departure. It looks like the last trip back we could make is noon, as the 1:30 departure from Caye Caulker would get us back 15 minutes too late.

So with leaving Caye Caulker at noon, we want to get there as early as possible. If we anchor as scheduled at 7 am and are off the ship and are on shore within 90 minutes, we could make the 7:30 am departure at Caye Caulker water taxi, or the 8:00 departure at either Caye Caulker or San Pedro.

On the return, both have a noon departure, which we absolutely could not miss or we would miss the ship. Caye Caulker has a 11:00 departure and San Pedro does not, so that would get us back early if we got tired or hungry.

So with the earlier time going out and more options coming back, Caye Caulker looks like the best deal, even though it is a bit further walk from the tender port.

Yep, You're figuring it out correctly. This is exactally what we have always done. Remember, even though you're supposed to arrive at 7am(6am Belize time), the first tenders do not leave usually for at least 30 min so you're going to be cutting it close to make it to the CC water taxi by 7:30 Belize time(8:30 ship time). Worst case scenario, if you miss it, just catch the 8:00(Belize time) from either Taxi Assn. You are also correct about making the 12:00(Belize Time)/1:00(ship time) taxi back to the port village. You won't make the 1:30 shuttle.

Have a great time. We're going back in two weeks. It's going to be hard staying only 3 short hours. We were there for a whole week in April.

If you want a GREAT, CHEAP lunch, find Carlos on the side of the road about 100 yards before you get to "The Split". He's got a small grill on the side of the road and goes out every morning and catches fresh lobster, conch or baracuda. We ate there almost every day when we were there in April. The very best food at great prices.

Have a great trip!!!

Yep, You're figuring it out correctly. This is exactally what we have always done. Remember, even though you're supposed to arrive at 7am(6am Belize time), the first tenders do not leave usually for at least 30 min so you're going to be cutting it close to make it to the CC water taxi by 7:30 Belize time(8:30 ship time). Worst case scenario, if you miss it, just catch the 8:00(Belize time) from either Taxi Assn. You are also correct about making the 12:00(Belize Time)/1:00(ship time) taxi back to the port village. You won't make the 1:30 shuttle.

Have a great time. We're going back in two weeks. It's going to be hard staying only 3 short hours. We were there for a whole week in April.

If you want a GREAT, CHEAP lunch, find Carlos on the side of the road about 100 yards before you get to "The Split". He's got a small grill on the side of the road and goes out every morning and catches fresh lobster, conch or baracuda. We ate there almost every day when we were there in April. The very best food at great prices.

Have a great trip!!!

What is the split?

What is the split?

The split is a 50 foot channel that seperates the north and south parts of the island. From what I understand, hurricane Hattie cut the island in half many years ago. This is now refered to as "the split" because it split the island in half.

Once you get off the water taxi, walk to the end of the dock and take a right on Front Street(the first street you come to). The split will be about 400 yards down the street. Basically, just keep walking until you cant go any further. Thats the split. There is a small outdoor bar there called the Lazy Lizard where you can get a drink and a snack if you like. The split is a very popular place to swim and hang out but most people usually dont show up until after 12:00 noon so you should have the whole place to yourself. There are two picnic tables sitting in the water that you can sit down, drink a Belikin(local beer) and watch the fishermen go by in their little boats.

A few things about the split.... at the end of the cement pier lives a moray eel. While I wouldnt recommend picking him up and playing with him, it's safe to snorkel down and look for him. He's been ther the last three times i've gone(most recently April). He's probally still there. Also, if you want a neat souviner to take home, you can swim about 15' out from the wall(right in front of the bar) and there's a huge pile of conch shells. Fishermen gather conchs all day and discard the shells in the same place, thus creating a huge pile of conch shells. There are also tons of tropical fish here you will see. Hint: bring a box or two of cereal from the ship(breakfast roomservice), sprinkle it in the water, and you'll have TONS of tropical fish all around you.

Recomandation: Save swimming at the split for last since there isint any place to rinse the saltwater off your body. If you walk around all day with dried saltwater on you, you'll regret it.

Another recomendation is that once you get off the water taxi, go find the Bakery on Back Street. You can get fresh bread(made fresh every morning) and fresh squeezed orange, watermelon or pineapple juice. it's squeezed fresh right in front of you and they put it in a large 1 liter bottle. It will be your best breakfast of your vacation and it won't cost more than $3 for two people. If you're interested, let me know and i'll make a map for you.

A few more things...

If you like art, Find Alfred at the Caye Caulker Art Gallery. The word "gallery" is a slight exaduration as the place is literally three walls and a tin roof with canvases stapled to the walls. He has several pieces of original artwork by local Caye Caluker artists. We buy somthing from every trip.

Pick up a bottle or two of Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce. I'm not really a hot sauce type person, but I cook with it all the time. I buy 10 bottles every time I go. Cheap at only $2 per bottle.

Pick up a bottle of Mr. P's Cashew Wine. Not a top shelf wine by any stretch of the imagination, but it's incredibly unique. We're down to our last bottle and will be stocking up again when we go back in three weeks.

I already mentioned Carlos for lunch. He's a heck of a nice guy who just makes an honest living with a grill on the side of the road. No fancy restaurant. Just a man and his little charcoal grill. Lobster will be in season while you are there. Highly recommend the Lobster-Ka-Bob. Hell of a deal at $5. Better than any restaurant on the island.

One of the nice things about Caye Caulker is that it is 100% authentic. There are no 5 star hotels, no fancy restaurants, and the people are wonderful. No one is treated like a tourist, but more like a local. I've been six times in the past four years and there are a lot of the people on the island who actually recognize me and know me by name... seriously. I absolutely love this place. We're thinking about buying a lot on the north island for retirement in 30 years.

Wow.... this reply went on and on didnt it? You asked about the split and I wrote a short novel. heh! You'll have a great time, regardless of what you do. Just being on Caye Caulker is an incredible experience.

The split:

world_tour_05.1173510360.p1010230_-_north_caye_caulker.jpg

Carlos and his grill

carlos.JPG

Alfred at the Art Gallery

IMG_3092.JPG

The Bakery

2.1242622980.-.jpg

OK, so now I am confused, this is for you ncboys. I am on the legend, which says will be in Belize from 8-5 on September 20th. Am I 1 hour or 2 hours different in time. I know the tendering is a hassle but assume it will take an hour to get off the ship, what time taxi am I trying to catch/ and I am trying to catch the last tender back so I am guessing 4ish ship time, what water taxi in port time?

OK, so now I am confused, this is for you ncboys. I am on the legend, which says will be in Belize from 8-5 on September 20th. Am I 1 hour or 2 hours different in time. I know the tendering is a hassle but assume it will take an hour to get off the ship, what time taxi am I trying to catch/ and I am trying to catch the last tender back so I am guessing 4ish ship time, what water taxi in port time?

Daylight savings time changes the first Sunday in November, so when you go on Sept 20th, there will be two hours difference between ship time and local Belize time(because Belize does not observe Daylight Savings Time). If you go after the first Sunday in November, then there will be only a one hour time difference. This is of course assuming your ship is on Eastern Standard Time which I believe the Legend is if it leaves from Florida.

Try and catch the Caye Caulker Water Taxi at 7:30(belize time)/9:30(ship time). Thats the first taxi of the day. Normally the first tenders do not leave the ship until about 9:00 (ship time)/7:00 (belize time) which will put you in the port village about 7:20(belize time)/9:20(ship time). Tender takes approx 20 min, so if you walk fast, you might make the first water taxi. If you miss it, you can take the 8:00(belize time)/10:00(ship time) taxt from either taxi company. If your ship leaves at 4:00(ship time) like mine does, make sure you leave Caye Caulker on the 12:00(belize time)/2:00(ship time) water taxi. You will not make it back to the ship on time if you catch the 1:30(belize time)/3:30(ship time).

** Just remember there is a 2 hr difference and you'll be fine.

Also, cary a watch. Do not rely on the clock on your cell phone because, it will most likely revert to belize time and cause you to miss the boat.

Ignore previous post...... (it cut off half of my responce and wouldnt allow me to edit it)

Daylight savings time changes the first Sunday in November, so when you go on Sept 20th, there will be two hours difference between ship time and local Belize time(because Belize does not observe Daylight Savings Time). If you go after the first Sunday in November, then there will be only a one hour time difference. This is of course assuming your ship is on Eastern Standard Time which I believe the Legend is if it leaves from Florida.

Try and catch the Caye Caulker Water Taxi at 7:30(belize time)/9:30(ship time). Thats the first taxi of the day. Normally the first tenders do not leave the ship until about 9:00 (ship time)/7:00 (belize time) which will put you in the port village about 7:20(belize time)/9:20(ship time). Tender takes approx 20 min, so if you walk fast, you might make the first water taxi. If you miss it, you can take the 8:00(belize time)/10:00(ship time) taxi from either taxi company. If you ship leaves at 5:00(ship time)/3:00(belize time), i'd recommend leaving on the 12:00(belize time)/2:00(ship time) taxi back to to Belize City. You might could catch the 1:30(belize time)/3:30(ship time) taxi, but the trip back takes 45 minutes which might cut it a little close. Better safe than sorry. As much as I love Belize, I wouldnt want to be stranded there.

Bottom Line: Just remember there is a 2 hr difference and you'll be fine.

Also, cary a watch. Do not rely on the clock on your cell phone because, it will most likely revert to Belize time.

ncboys,

Thanks for the pics of Carlos, the grill, the art gallery and the bakery, the hotsauce rec. Yep. sealed Caye Caulker as the place to go this January.

Tinkr...just pick up a 100 meter digital at Walmart for $15 or less. As long as it tells time and holds up through Belize, you've got a bargain. I wore one last May and it kept close enough exact time once set to match atomic clock time. Now if you need one for other reasons, you may want to get a better quality on somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a map of Caye Caulker with some of my favorite places. Hope this helps.

ccmap.jpg

NCB (remember that bank?), your map didn't take for me. Thought it was my firewall, but I'm at the airport and it's not coming through either.:eek: Try again?

And have a great cruise:)

Crew

Archived