Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo

cherylakers

We are considering this hotel for a post cruise stay October 2010. Can anyone that has stayed there tell me the easiest way to get from the cruise port to the hotel??? We will be on Princess. I know they offer a $24/person ticket from cruise port to Piazza Roma, then we would have to find a water taxi or vaporatto to take us to the hotel??? There will be 8 of us with the usual luggage probably 2 per person. I have heard you don't need to reserve a water taxi. Is this true??? How easy is it to get off and on the water taxi with luggage??

Also, if you have any recommendations for restaurants in the area that would be appreciated.

How far is it to St. Marks?? We love to walk so that is not a problem.

Is it easy to catch a vaporatto to Murano???

Thanks for any help

Cheryl

We were there in Feb this year although not on a cruise. We took a water taxi from the aiport and there are loads of them at every major stop so no booking needed.The vaperettos are fine but fairly crowded. You may struggle with two bags apiece.

The walk to St Marks is easy..there is an obvious road behind the hotel and there are signs on the corners of all the buildings to point you in the right direction. Can't say how long it takes as we stopped off alot but even my 4 yr old managed it fine so it's pretty easy.

Theres a good pizza resturant on the same road as mentioned before but all the guide book recommendations were full so we ate next door to one of the popular ones (head right out of the hotel then left and across bridge to a church) and it was fine.

We are considering this hotel for a post cruise stay October 2010. Can anyone that has stayed there tell me the easiest way to get from the cruise port to the hotel??? We will be on Princess. I know they offer a $24/person ticket from cruise port to Piazza Roma, then we would have to find a water taxi or vaporatto to take us to the hotel??? There will be 8 of us with the usual luggage probably 2 per person. I have heard you don't need to reserve a water taxi. Is this true??? How easy is it to get off and on the water taxi with luggage??

Also, if you have any recommendations for restaurants in the area that would be appreciated.

How far is it to St. Marks?? We love to walk so that is not a problem.

Is it easy to catch a vaporatto to Murano???

Thanks for any help

Cheryl

We had a wonderful stay there in October 2006, but it was a land trip, so I do not know the cruise port story. The two co-owners are simply a joy to deal with, and the rooms are lovely. However, we arrived by taking the Grand Canal vaporetto to the St. Stae stop; the hotel's side entrance is about 40 yards (with no bridges, all flat) from that stop. We found it easy to get on and off with our one rolling bag and one carry-on each. The hotel's main entrance is on a side canal, and a water taxi takes you right next to the reception desk. (We saw people arrive this way one morning.)

The restaurants we enjoyed near there were La Zucca (the Pumpkin), truly excellent, be sure to have the hotel make you a reservation; and Osteria Mocenigo, very close down the street to the hotel. We also ate at Trattoria Ponte de Megio, which was good, but nowhere near as good as La Zucca.

St. Mark's is about a 20-minute walk, very pleasant.

All the vaporetto's are easy to catch, just get a map when you buy your pass. We actually cancelled a plan day-trip to Verona because the weather was so unexpectedly warm and sunny one day in mid-October that we spent most of the day hopping on and off vaporettos to visit different areas, including some lovely churches and islands.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks so much CintiPam. I just booked 4 rooms there. They have responded 4 times so far with all my questions, so I am impressed. The rate was so reasonable. From what I understand when getting out of the port terminal custom area, there is an area you walk to and you can just hire a water taxi right there. We might have to hire 2 from I hear as they might not be large enough for 8 of us with luggage.

We will definitely try some of the restaurants you have listed.

Thanks so much for your help. I have read lots of your postings on this board over the last year or so and you are always so helpful.

Cheryl

Cheryl, I appreciate your comment. October is a great time to travel.

I really am impressed with how far ahead you are planning your trip. On my only two cruises so far (last September and last month) we booked only three and five months ahead!

I am a compulsive planner. We usually do 1 big cruise every year. We have different friends that like to travel with us. 2011 we are doing Alaska with friends that we did the Panama Canal with. 2012 will either bring Asia or possibly a riverboat cruise in Europe.

I love these boards as they have really helped me plan our trips. I was able to get great private tours in both St. Petersburg, Russia on our Baltics cruise and also in Rome on our first Med cruise.

I just hope I can help out others on these boards as they have helped me.

Thanks again

Cheryl

Archived