Cruising with kids, what is needed from parent....

We are both divorced and would like to take our 4 teenage kids on a cruise. They all have passports. I have custody of mine but my boyfriend doesn't. Do we need anything special from the other parent to take them on a cruise? :confused:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

I have been divorced for 12 years and although I have full custody of my children, I still get a consent to travel form from my ex. An example of a form can be found at: http://www.notary.org/PDFs/-Consent%20to%20Travel%20Form.pdf. Just take the basic wording, type up your own form and have your exes both sign to give consent (with a notary public) for you to travel with your kids. I also bring a copy of my divorce agreement (just the pages noting the custody of the children). There have been times that I have travelled and nobody has asked for ANY consent forms, I have also needed them, too. It is always best to have this info ahead of time to make sure that your trip goes smoothly.

Does anyone know what is considered a minor? I am divorced and my children have cruised twice and we never submitted any consent forms from my ex husband. However, they cruised on Carnival. Now this will be my middle (18) and youngest (16) Sons first RCCL cruise, I assume my 18 yr old will not need consent but will my 16 yr old?

I wouldn't take any chances! Get the form completed and Notarized!

I have been cruising with my 17 yr old GD ( she has earned her own Diamond status by herself, by cruising with us). I raise her ( but do not have legal custody of her....long story). She has a passport and I have always taken the notarized form with us and was never asked to see it.

In June we went on the AOS, her mom was not available to go and sign in front of the notary! I had a notarized paper that I am her temporary Guardian, but no signed consent form from her mom! Her dad is no where to be found!

I was held up at the dock for four hours ( the staff would not allow her to board or cruise without that form! I had a hard time on a Sunday to get this problem rectified! After numerous phone calls, we did succeed finding her mother and having her mother sign a form and faxing it to RC. It was not notarized, but it was stamped with a Date & time and witnessed by others!

So to avoid the hassle if they are under 18 be PREPARED!

If both biological parents are not accompanying the minor (who is anyone under 18), then you need proof that you are allowed to take them out of the cruise. This is usually in the form of a notarized letter from the parent(s) who are not accompanying them. In my case, it takes the form of dh's death certificate. :(

I just took my great niece on a cruise with me. She is 8. My nephew is her dad and has full legal custody. He signed two forms for me to take her and both were signed by a notary.

One was a form the cruise line required (check with cruise line to see if they require a certain form or not) and the other one was required by Canada (where we stopped).

The cruise line kept both and turned the one over to Canada when they docked and was cleared by Customs.

I also had to bring the court papers showing my nephew had full custody otherwise I would have had her mother (have no idea where she is) sign the forms also.

I had no trouble getting on board. She didn't even have a passport. Just her birth cert.

Joanne

Each cruise line is different. I did a cruise on NCL and they asked for all sorts of documentation- not once but twice and this was in the Caribbean. It must be their policy because no one has asked for anything in Europe or on any of my other cruises.

Princess asked for a letter when we went to Canada and they did want to see it at check-in and I had to present it again in Canada.

My suggestion is to have the letter and a copy of your custody agreement on hand. It is better safe than sorry.

Most of the time the cruise line does warn you about this ahead of time if you need it.

We've take our grandchildren on several cruises and always have the notorized letter but have never been asked for it. That being said we will always make sure we have it in the future just in case we need it since that is a stated requirement.

I have been divorced for 12 years and although I have full custody of my children, I still get a consent to travel form from my ex. An example of a form can be found at: http://www.notary.org/PDFs/-Consent%20to%20Travel%20Form.pdf. Just take the basic wording, type up your own form and have your exes both sign to give consent (with a notary public) for you to travel with your kids. I also bring a copy of my divorce agreement (just the pages noting the custody of the children). There have been times that I have travelled and nobody has asked for ANY consent forms, I have also needed them, too. It is always best to have this info ahead of time to make sure that your trip goes smoothly.

DW and I have different last names...so even together it can cause questions to be asked. In Vancouver coming in, DW and DD had to answer a couple extra questions because they were on a different flight than I. Of course I was getting my luggage so had there been any issues they could have paged me over to clear it up...

Leaving the ship, entering Canada we had a lot more hassle about DD and if we were really all a single family. DD looks more like me than DW so perhaps the agent didn't believe DW had a different last name. Then going back thru US immigration at YVR there were even more questions, I was asked to even prove my home address.

Apparently someone with a similar name, since my name is not totally unique, must have kidnapped his child from the USA...and I would assume the child was a DD as well. I guess if that really was the case I am glad the officials were trying to snag him...but seriously using an airport vs a roadway is probably not the best way to go.

Given the difficulty I had with family in tow...I would recommend definitely if one natural parent will not be there to be certain documents are with you in case needed. DD confirming more than once we were her parents was good enough, of course I had her minature BC as well in case needed....maybe the moral is DW shoudl have taken my name...:D

Enjoy your vacation.

Wow I am amazed. I am divorced with full custody of my daughter and I have a passport for her. I have never been questioned or given a hard time. The only question my daughter has been asked and this was a few years ago, was to identify who I was to her. My daughter who was 8 at the time, thought the guy what nuts actually said " She's my mom, who else would she be?" Needless to say, she got a chuckle out of him and we went through customs without any other issues.

Anyone under 21 is considered a 'minor' but the requirements below exclude 18-20 year olds.

Anyone 17 or under, not travelling with a parent or Legal Guardian (Official) must have a notarised or (in the UK) a legally affirmed letter from one of the Parents/Legal Guardians, authorising them to:

a) Take the specified cruise with the named accompanying adult.

b) Supervise the minor

c) Sign any applicable sports waivers(Flowrider, rock wall etc)

d) permit the accompanying adult to authorise the provision of any medical treatment to the minor which in the opinion of the treating doctor must be provided urgently.

If you are travelling with your child who is 17 or under and you have different surnames, you need to bring the legal documents that explain this, so FULL birth certificate, wedding cert, divorce papers. this is so the link can be established between parent and child.

If travelling with a legal guardian, the official proof of being the legal guardian must be brought.

Guardianship for the duration of a cruise can NOT be signed over to someone else by a parent!

This is what I got from RCI when I asked the same question here in the UK.

Anyone under 21 is considered a 'minor' but the requirements below exclude 18-20 year olds.

Anyone 17 or under, not travelling with a parent or Legal Guardian (Official) must have a notarised or (in the UK) a legally affirmed letter from one of the Parents/Legal Guardians, authorising them to:

a) Take the specified cruise with the named accompanying adult.

b) Supervise the minor

c) Sign any applicable sports waivers(Flowrider, rock wall etc)

d) permit the accompanying adult to authorise the provision of any medical treatment to the minor which in the opinion of the treating doctor must be provided urgently.

If you are travelling with your child who is 17 or under and you have different surnames, you need to bring the legal documents that explain this, so FULL birth certificate, wedding cert, divorce papers. this is so the link can be established between parent and child.

If travelling with a legal guardian, the official proof of being the legal guardian must be brought.

Guardianship for the duration of a cruise can NOT be signed over to someone else by a parent!

This is what I got from RCI when I asked the same question here in the UK.

Exactly. Just read the clear instructions from RCCL. Phone RCCL if you want to double check re divorced parents.

A lot of these posts are irrelevant - you do need notarised letters if you are travelling with grandchildren, stepkids. kids with different names etc. But travelling with your own kids is a different kettle of fish

It might be safer to get a notarised doc but do we really want to contribute towards the Lawyers Benefit Fund on the basis of panics created on this forum?

Exactly. Just read the clear instructions from RCCL. Phone RCCL if you want to double check re divorced parents.

A lot of these posts are irrelevant - you do need notarised letters if you are travelling with grandchildren, stepkids. kids with different names etc. But travelling with your own kids is a different kettle of fish

It might be safer to get a notarised doc but do we really want to contribute towards the Lawyers Benefit Fund on the basis of panics created on this forum?

The only problem with RCCL is that they do not always follow the written and verbal info given. Having an over zealous agent is the last way you would want to start your cruise. But even if you had no problem at the port, I would be more worried at your port of calls. As per attached link, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html#children, under entry/exit requirements for childen in Mexico, it clearly states that a notarized form is required if only one parent is traveling with minor. I have been on 3 cruises and have had the form every time and thankfully never was asked to provide it. I am a notary in FL and am able to have items that I can not notarize done at my local bank for free. It could be different in other states, but the most by law that I could change for this service is $10.00. If the peace of mind isn't worth $10.00, then you are a bigger gambler than I am.

Gregg

Archived