America's Cup Challenge. Anyone disappointed or regret doing this excursion?

Crystalcat

For the last few months, I've been pumped about my family (me, DH, and 2 sons who will be 15 and 13) doing the America's Cup challenge... then my preferred cruise itinerary was voted down, and now our only ports are CocoCay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. I love St. Martin and there is so much to do... Has anyone done America's Cup Challenge then wished that they had done something else? Has anyone done this and not thoroughly enjoyed it? Is it a lot different than going on a sail/snorkel excursion? Thanks for any input/reviews you can provide! :D

Crystalcat, BIL and I are interested in this too. Not much action about it on these boards. Here's a couple of website links. If this is like real yacht racing prepare to get wet wear sunscreen and a hat. Those new Croc sailing shoes should work great or pick up a pair of slipon canvas boat shoes at WalMart for under $15.

http://www.12metre.com/

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/stmaarten_2.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147347-d147597-Reviews-12_Metre_Challenge-Philipsburg_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

I went on this excursion with my 13 year old son in 2006. I wouldn't say that I regret the decision but I do remember feeling that it was a little overpriced for the time we spent on the water. It was a very calm day, thus not very exciting but the captain & crew did their best. Everybody was assigned a job & on the way back, the captain invited my son behind the wheel. I would make the decision based on your budget & how enthused your kids are about this excursion.

My wife and I did this excursion last year, and had looked forward to it for a long time because of all the positive reports. The tour organizers are very efficient and professional, and the captain was quite personable. The setting is beautiful and the ships are historic. Despite all of this, we absolutely DID NOT enjoy the excursion and thought it was overpriced. It seemed too "clinical" for lack of a better term, and turned out to be a lot of work...so much that we didn't really get to experience the ambiance and beauty of the setting. To each his/her own, but we would rather take a catamaran sail and experience the ocean in that manner.

My wife and I did this excursion last year, and had looked forward to it for a long time because of all the positive reports. The tour organizers are very efficient and professional, and the captain was quite personable. The setting is beautiful and the ships are historic. Despite all of this, we absolutely DID NOT enjoy the excursion and thought it was overpriced. It seemed too "clinical" for lack of a better term, and turned out to be a lot of work...so much that we didn't really get to experience the ambiance and beauty of the setting. To each his/her own, but we would rather take a catamaran sail and experience the ocean in that manner.

Well, I guess if you've sailed on racing yachts in the past and love that aspect, it might be a thing to do. It can be a lot of work. They race IOR boats in St Thomas like this, too. But it you just want the leisurely aspect of sailing without the noise from the engine or speed of a power boat and time to experience the ocean, then perhaps the catermaran is the better choice.

I did it in March and had an absolute blast! Yes, it was hard work (I took on the hardest job -- primary grinder), but it was still one of the highlights of my trip. There were enough people signed up for the excursion that the 'race' consisted of three yachts and it was just amazing to be on one of these boats as they're flying across the water.

When ferrying out to your boat they ask how active you want to be and then you get assigned to a position. The positions range in difficulty from "iceberg spotter" to primary grinder. So if you just want to enjoy the ride then say so. :D

We (47, 45, and two 14 year olds) did this on spring break 2009. I'm glad we did it, but we won't do it again. It's true, you can do as much or as little as you want. However, the more you do, the less you see of your surroundings (i.e. scenery). We had plenty of time after the excursion to walk to the beach and hang out for the rest of the day.

My daughter (11) and I did this excursion in January. It was, far and away, the highlight of our trip! We were lucky in that it was a beautiful day with enough wind to make things interesting. Knowing that you are on the Ferraris of sailboats is quite a thrill.

My daughter was given a job of controlling the main boom. I was on a winch near her and the two of us enjoyed our work and laughed at the guys on the primary winches.

One thing to keep in mind is that I have been to St Maarten a couple times in the past and didn't mind missing the standard shore excursions. My wife, on the other hand, wouldn't miss the opportunity to shop with her sister and had no interest in the excursion - to each their own.

DW & I did this excursion last year while aboard the Carnival Miracle. It was an excursion that I was very much looking forward to, and it certainly did not disappoint. You need to know going in that you can do as much or as little as you want. It really is not a "sight seeing" tour, but rather a fun re-creation of an America's Cup yacht race. The exhileration comes from being a part of a team that is part of a race. It certainly is not life or death, but most of our crew was disappointed when we got "nosed out" at the finish. I found this to be one of our most memorable excursions ever (8 cruises). I can't wait to do it again, this time on a different yacht (hopefully Stars & Stripes).

• 2 weeks later...

How is this for someone who might get seasick?

I have no seasickness on the ship. But when we took the shuttle boat from Cozumel to the mainland to see the Mayan ruins, I got slightly seasick. Is this something I should avoid?

I have 2 teens so I think they would like this.

Also, should my mom tag along and be an "iceberg spotter" or is she better off watching from afar? She did parasail in Coco Cay so she is somewhat adventurous.

Maggie

There are medicines, or even ginger, you can take beforehand if you think you may get sea sick. The roughness of the sail will obviously depend upon the roughness of the water that day. But most likely it'll be fairly calm or only slightly choppy if it was stormy or heavt swells I doubt they would go out. Your teens might like this if they can get into an action position. If your mother is a bit adventurous, she'd enjoy this a bit. It'll be hard to view from afar since you're not next tot he boat dock. But this isn't a sightseeing sail. With all the news about the next AC starting in February. This might give all of you a sense of what happens on these races. Also. if you grab a morning sail, you'll have the rest of the day to do other things.

We had a wonderful time in January. Even my DGF who was a little uneasy about possible seasickness said she would do it again in a heartbeat.

I chose active (port main brace grinder) and she was a relief grinder mid-ships. As mentioned, if you just want to enjoy the sun and sea there's nothing wrong with that. We had great weather and wind. If you enjoy sailing, I think you will enjoy it!

Being a big fan of the americas cup, this was a great chance to feel the thrill and excitment of racing on the water. We were neck and neck and heeled over with the bout going into the finish. It was awsome. Yes it's a little work, but you feel so much part of it. I'd go for it.

Let's put it this way.....I wouldn't pass it up if I had the chance. Especially, if you get to sail on the Stars & Stripes with Captain Morgan and his crew. The grinder is a very hard job...that was my job, and I volunteered for a very cush job and that is what I got. We had a very windy day and had a great sail. Worth the money if you compare it to a lot of other excursions out there.

We have this trip booked for late November and I am really looking forward to it. It is listed as returning at 1:30 pm and I would love to do some beach activity afterward - is there something close that you walked to after you America's cup sail? Our shp leaves at 6 pm. Is that enough time?

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have mentioned, I looked forward to this excursion for many months. Even had it cancelled once and had to wait until our next time to St Martin.

However, there was little wind the day we were there and it was actually disappointing.

I felt it was over hyped and over priced.:(

Like others have mentioned, I looked forward to this excursion for many months. Even had it cancelled once and had to wait until our next time to St Martin.

However, there was little wind the day we were there and it was actually disappointing.

I felt it was over hyped and over priced.:(

Oh so sorry your excursion didn't turn out as expected. Wind is something you can't count on. And no wind makes for a long boring race. I've been on long distance races where you sit for hours with sails flapping and not going anywhere. :( It could have been raining or a TS could have brewed up and you would have had the exact opposite conditions and a bad experience getting wet and bounced and knocked around, or not gone out at all. Weather is the chance you take on these things.

Still on my list to do.

We did the sail in May 06. We LOVED it. I had just recovered from a major illness and was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it. I was the main sail trimmer and my DH was a grinder. We really enjoyed the wind blowing into the sails, the warm sun and the competition. We did get to sail the Stars and Stripes. We chose the morning sail so we had time to sit on the beach and do some shopping.

I did this twice, way back in 1996 & 1997. First trip out was a windy day and the day they went out in almost two weeks. Of course after we went out winds increased even further (they would not have sailed in those conditions) and we continued. Even leaving teh harbor we were hitting the keel on the bottom in the swells. Seas also built to the upper limits they were comfortable with and they were afraid of actually breaking the boats. Note that at the start the flagman in the chase boat standing 6' tall holding a flag over his head was not even visible to us behind the swells. I found it an absolute blast and we were really moving fast,skipper was actually surfing the boat along the breaking waves to gain speed. I've always described the ride as two hours on a rolle coaster with someone throwing buckets of water on you every 2 minutes. Afterward heard the skippers all talking and even they were amazed at what the boats could take/do in conditions like that. (even they never get a ride like that) Overheard the owner telling my skipper he was going to send Dennis Conner (I was on Stars & Stripes) the photo of our ride along with a note thanking him for allowing them to use the boats like they were designed for.

Next year it was a calm day and just a sailboat ride, nothing like the previous years adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I have done this trip several times between us, both together and separately and have enjoyed it every time. Please understand that the weather is not always ideal for sailing and you could end up out on the water with no place to go, so to speak, if there is no wind. Hot and a little boring in that case, but the captain and crew are very accommodating and gracious and will do their best to make it enjoyable. They lowered the ladder for us and we swam until wind picked up on one trip.

As others have posted you can be as active or inactive as you choose. I have some physical limitations and have always been timekeeper or timekeeper/bartender (fun!). DH on the other hand is an avid sailor and has always chosen to be primary winch grinder.

Also know that this is not a sightseeing excursion, you will be disappointed if that is what you are looking for. But if you are seeking a reasonable simulation of a competitive sailing experience you will love this.

Absolutely loved it. DH was apprehensive as he'd never sailed (and doesn't swim) but even he had a blast and I think we want to do it again next cruise. We were on True North, the Canadian boat. We lost by a nose at the finish line. Our weather was hot but we had wind. It was not a disappointment at all.

Did it; loved it. Very exhilarating! Even at my lazy job of bartender, it was great -- best of all worlds -- not much work, but right in the middle of an exciting sailing experience. I thought it was well worth the price and was not at all disappointed. It's something that you can actually participate in and experience; not just a sightseeing tour.

Archived