Disappointed with upgrade

Kittycatwlv

If the guaranty cabins are assigned by a computer - how does the computer know who is a first timer and who is a veteran?

Evidently there must be some input from Princess employees.

No employee input is needed since all the information is available in the booking. However there is often a scramble just before turnaround day to make sure the best cabins are filled. If you book a guarantee, which I do sometimes, I can see no reason to feel upset, disgruntled or miffed if I do not get an upgrade and someone else does. I booked earlier this year for my friends and us and they were first time cruisers. I was delighted that they received an upgrade, even though we did not, because it meant they would have a better experience and hopefully would cruise again with us and that is how it has worked out. If you need to stay together with your friends cross reference the bookings and do not ask for an upgrade.

You have totally missed the point. I don't want or care about an upgrade, I want to be on the same deck as my friends. I took an obstructed ocean view and and asked to be put back from the unobstructed ocean view to be near friends. I asked to be downgraded!!!!!!!!! All I want is to be on the same deck. I was able to bring Princess four new cruisers because of their GTY prices, had i taken a cabin assignment (there were none in their teaser rate HH) they wouldn't have gotten any business at all. You guys are such good cheer leaders but what Princess really needs is someone with business sense to run a business because it is a business after all.

Then why did you title this thread "Disappointed with upgrade?":confused:

I've never sailed Princess. However, my impression of guarantees on all cruise lines are that you cannot demand to be in a certain location. You can ask, you can hope, but you are not entitled to be on the same deck as your friends. You certainly could feel disappointed, but imo, being ANGRY is flat unreasonable given the rules associated with the guarantee option.

There are lots of threads that drag on for no apparent reason other than to those who choose to participate in it. I see no need to request or demand this one be shut down when it's just as easy not to click on it in the first place. I know, some people can't avoid looking at traffic accidents either LOL.

There are lots of threads that drag on for no apparent reason other than to those who choose to participate in it. I see no need to request or demand this one be shut down when it's just as easy not to click on it in the first place. I know, some people can't avoid looking at traffic accidents either LOL.

Thank you!

The more knowledge, well traveled, expert, posters often miss the fact there is quite a bit of useful information in these threads. If posting guidelines are followed, no one is forced to read or post....me thinks! As for me, the most informative thread I have ever read on booking guarantees, dos and don't. I must admit that I am one of the least knowledgeable on Princess guidelines and procedures.

The OP has one of the most magnificent senses of self entitlement I've seen in quite a while.

If you want a specific cabin, book and pay for it. Don't book a GTY.

As a listed company, the loyalty lies with shareholders, not with individual cruisers.

Yes I did. They said i could pay $410 PP to join my friends on deck 8 which I found insulting. Most business' need and want repeat customers but apparently Princess doesn't. I had them throw me back into the GTY pool giving up that undesirable deck in hopes to get reassigned near my friends. I'll see what happens before i make any decisions to cancel and book elsewhere. I'm Diamond plus on RCL and Elite on Celebrity and a middle tier on HAL so I have options. My disappointment is that Princess does not value an Elite member and not just that but an Elite member bringing them four new cruisers, it doesn't get better then that for any business in these economic times. I want loyalty to go both ways that's not to much to ask.

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstand, but you booked a guarantee. This does not entitle you to an upgrade, so why are you acting all miffed like you were done out of something?

If you get an upgrade, great, but you should never expect it. It's, as they say, a privilege, not a right. If you are not happy with the minimum guarantee you've booked, then you should book yourself in a category you'd be happy with to start with, and anything more than that is a bonus.

Wow....miss a few months and once again nice to see things haven't changed much around here.

Not sure why the "hosts lock the thread" posts started so early in the thread. Many of the same people who say this keep coming back and reading and posting to the thread. If you feel it's outlived it's usefulness why not simply skip the thread and not read anymore answers?

To the OP, sorry you're unhappy with the situation. While I understand the whole GTY thing (which is why I won't ever book it) I can understand being disappointed that you are not all together. While you can't expect to be near each other or an upgrade when booking the GTY I can appreciate slight disappointment that your two friends were placed together and you were not put with them. Unfortunately you booked a GTY and will have to accept the fact that Princess could place you wherever they wanted on the ship so unless you rebook a pick a specific cabin and mark it No Upgrade you're probably out of luck.

You should have known that most of the time coming on here voicing displeasure with anything will always bring some kind of negative posts. Sometimes we come here to vent and it back fires and this is one of those times.

Cruise Critic used to be such a pleasurable place but lately it just seems like "being friendly" isn't valued as much on here as it used to be.

Actually, as far as educating new cruisers (and some who are not so new), I think this thread has a lot of value. Too often, these boards give the impression that great upgrades are commonplace, probably because posters are eager to spread good news. In fact, most guarantees get darn close to the category they paid for -- and an upgrade is by no means a certainty, even for Elite cruisers. The second lesson here, of course, is that a guarantee is a real gamble, and disappointment in your assignment can put a damper on the whole vacation. This is especially problematic when traveling with a group -- be prepared to be split up on the ship.I'm betting that a good amount of our readers are rethinking their booking strategies as we speak!

Actually, as far as educating new cruisers (and some who are not so new), I think this thread has a lot of value. Too often, these boards give the impression that great upgrades are commonplace, probably because posters are eager to spread good news. In fact, most guarantees get darn close to the category they paid for -- and an upgrade is by no means a certainty, even for Elite cruisers. The second lesson here, of course, is that a guarantee is a real gamble, and disappointment in your assignment can put a damper on the whole vacation. This is especially problematic when traveling with a group -- be prepared to be split up on the ship.I'm betting that a good amount of our readers are rethinking their booking strategies as we speak!

couldn't agree with you more...

Okay, any upgrade should be good right? I booked three cabins (GTY) on the Sapphire one for myself and two for two other couples new to cruising. I got the $25 preferral do Princess knows they are new, and I am Elite. Yesterday I got notified of our cabins. My two friends were together on deck 8 and I am deck 5. Their cabins are worth $410 PP more then mine. I am hurt by the lack of loyalty on Princess' part. Why do they highly upgrade a newbie before an elite member. I will never bring them a new cruiser again. Thanks for letting me vent. Oh it's also way before final payment so I'm toying with the idea of cancelling altogether and booking with a rival cruise since loyalty is a one way street for Princess.

I can totally understand your frustration. My husband gets upset with this type issue. Take for instance your phone, or cable service. As a new customer they offer you all these discounts. What about the long time customers? Why do they have to pay full price? He can get really upset over the way companies treat long-time customers and expect them to pay full price but give rewards and discounts to newcomers. It would seem to me the rewards and discounts should be given to the long-time loyal customers. So I can totally understand your frustration here.

Have you tried reaching out to a supervisor or manager? The regular customer service people can't do anything. Ask for a supervisor.

I learned if I book the inside gty and end up in the penthouse suite (as I look toward the heaven/ceiling and pray) I might not be able to return to the inside.

I can totally understand your frustration. My husband gets upset with this type issue. Take for instance your phone, or cable service. As a new customer they offer you all these discounts. What about the long time customers? Why do they have to pay full price? He can get really upset over the way companies treat long-time customers and expect them to pay full price but give rewards and discounts to newcomers. It would seem to me the rewards and discounts should be given to the long-time loyal customers. So I can totally understand your frustration here.

Have you tried reaching out to a supervisor or manager? The regular customer service people can't do anything. Ask for a supervisor.

The difference is that she didn't pay full price for her cruise, she got the most discounted cabin she could get and was happy with the price--she also did get loyalty rewards when she booked in the form of on board credit for both her and her friends-the problem is the type of cabin she booked (GTY) and she can't move it to be with her friends--this may be a different argument if they broke up cabins that were supposed to be together but by booking everyone in a GTY for a great price you have to accept wherever they may put you. If everyone who was a repeat cruiser could get a great price by accepting the GTY and then ask to be moved wherever they needed to be when they didn't like the assignment then it would negate the advantage of the GTY booking for the cruise line. As an elite member she also gets some pretty good perks that newcomers wouldn't get--so she does get rewarded for being loyal.

kind of like using priceline all the time, you accept whatever hotel room they give you within a certain criteria you give them and then asking them to change it when you aren't happy with what they give you. just changes the agreement, not a loyalty question.

sorry to keep this going :)

If only you could read
, I never used the word coward, not even once. To other posters who said be grateful i can cruise several times a year I reply, If I'm smart enough to make my business work why should I feel bad?

If you try to do a booking on Princess, the guarentee option has a disclosure of what it is. Did you read it?

HUH? You or your DH do not understand why this is done? Your kidding right? It is done to bring new customer into the company. They don't need to bring old customers in, as they are already there. Oh My! :eek:

I don't think the poster claimed they didn't 'understand' why it is done, just to say it was upsetting and frustrating. Me thinks you can have a clear understanding of something but still get a feeling of frustration or simply wishing for things to be different. Even when we understand, support, and go along with it, we sometimes complain that it's not 'fare';)

HUH? You or your DH do not understand why this is done? Your kidding right? It is done to bring new customer into the company. They don't need to bring old customers in, as they are already there. Oh My! :eek:

I will agree with TMJBR's frustration with cable and phone companies in their deals for new customers only. Except I play their games and cancel the service. Then their retention people get involved, and I usually get a better deal than what the new customer offer was. Like the deal I have had with my satellite company for the last 14 months where I get the free HD programming, the free dual tuner HD PVR receiver and half price for the rest of my programming. That's an $80 monthly credit I get, or over $1000 in savings so far. And all I wanted was to be able to buy that receiver for the same $299 the new customer could instead of the $599 existing customers had to pay. I think I beat them on that LOL.

But I do agree with the other poster that those situations and the one in this thread are different. The new customers and the existing customer got the same deal. They all paid the same fare. They were all upgraded. It's just that the existing customer didn't like where the upgrade was.

i saw your thread and you shouldn't have to defend yourself--you did get some harsh responses...for this thread i think that the OP has been one of the harshest responders though, a little insulting to people

Good luck with a new job and have a great cruise!

Thanks for the kind words. I am planning on having a great cruise. It will be our first with Princess. This post has gotten out of line, but it is good for people to see exactly what can happen with a gurantee. We were traveling with another couple (they have since cancelled due to a family commitment that came up) but we were both on guarantees. We were lucky enough that we were upgraded from a BF to a BA and were across the hall from one another. I made a phone call and asked if there was any way to get next to each other and in 3 minutes it was done. This was before final payment and about 3 1/2 months before sailing. We got lucky. Had we been on separate floors, we were willing to handle that too. We knew what we were getting into when we booked it. We would've been disappointed for sure. We were also offered a mini-suite category for the same price but I turned it down because my main concern was having a great balcony. I didn't care about a couch or a bed.

As for the tone of the postings in various threads, that needs a whole separate thread.

When we went on our first princess cruise we booked a balcony room on the Sun Princess. A specific cabin. We were contacted by the TA and asked if we would like to upgrade to a mini suite, it will cost $500 extra. We said yes and paid up. Worth every cent. Did we think we should have gotten it for free - no. Because we don't get upgrades like that for free here. Little category changes maybe, but not suite level changes. So pretend you live in Australia and pay list price and pay for your upgrades and if you don't want to - stay where you have been put and lump it.

Some of these threads amuse me where the "elite" think they are entitled to sooooooooo much better than everyone else. You are just lucky to get cheap cruises and you can afford it.

Pay the $400 smackeroonies and go habitate the room next to your friends.

Next time book a specific room or rooms. Lesson learnt.

When we went on our first princess cruise we booked a balcony room on the Sun Princess. A specific cabin. We were contacted by the TA and asked if we would like to upgrade to a mini suite' date=' it will cost $500 extra. We said yes and paid up. Worth every cent. Did we think we should have gotten it for free - no. Because we don't get upgrades like that for free here. Little category changes maybe, but not suite level changes. So pretend you live in Australia and pay list price and pay for your upgrades and if you don't want to - stay where you have been put and lump it.

Some of these threads amuse me [b']where the "elite" think they are entitled[/b] to sooooooooo much better than everyone else. You are just lucky to get cheap cruises and you can afford it.

Pay the $400 smackeroonies and go habitate the room next to your friends.

Next time book a specific room or rooms. Lesson learnt.

No, Eileen. it's this one "elite" who is giving the others a bad name. We certainly don't feel entitled, nor do we expect upgrades. We don't expect them and we don't get them. Well..........maybe twice or three times in lots and lots of cruises. ;)

No, Eileen. it's this one "elite" who is giving the others a bad name. We certainly don't feel entitled, nor do we expect upgrades. We don't expect them and we don't get them. Well..........maybe twice or three times in lots and lots of cruises. ;)

Sorry Pia, present company excluded of course. However, I have read a few threads where the "elite" passenger concerned does bring down the rest of you. I suppose there is one in every crowd.

Hi Eileen, I am also Elite, but have never expected any upgrade. Whenever I have been, I take it as a nice surprise.

upgrades should not be thought of as a given. just because one cruises with Princess ( or any other line) more than once.

people complain about so many things, it is mind blowing....e.g.

it is not the ship's fault , that owing to weather, we miss out on a port.

but people still moan about what the Captain should have done....well,

He must take the passenger's safety as the number 1 priority.

just my penny worth.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Archived