Do not use Enterprize at ANC

PK4SC

We had booked a premium car (supposed to be a Maxima) through the ANC airport Enterprise only to discover that they do not have premium cars. In fact all they have are Ford Focus, PT Cruisers and very high profile Ford F150 4X4 PU trucks. There is no apology you are just told that the corporate office screwed up. We had to drive around in a PU all week with no trunk. My wife had to climb up into the cab to get in. At least they could have provided a step. These people are just arrogant and did not try to accommodate us at all. I would suggest not using this rental agency unless you like trucks that get 17 miles to the gallon or little Ford Focuses or PT Cruisers. My suggestion go elsewhere even if you have to pay a little more and don't trust their specials. They lie big time. :(

I have used Enterprise both on- and off-airport in Anchorage with no problems whatsoever. Friendly staff, and the last time at the airport two different people gave me their cards and told me to contact them if I had any problems or questions.

No rental company guarantees a certain make/model, just a certain class that you book "or higher". You obviously got the "or higher." But granted, a pick up can be a pain if you are not expecting it.

I have used Enterprise both on- and off-airport in Anchorage with no problems whatsoever. Friendly staff, and the last time at the airport two different people gave me their cards and told me to contact them if I had any problems or questions.

No rental company guarantees a certain make/model, just a certain class that you book "or higher". You obviously got the "or higher." But granted, a pick up can be a pain if you are not expecting it.

We found an add on line placed by Enterprise for a "Premium" car. It listed the car as Maxima or "similar" car. The add was placed by Enterprise rental car for ANC airport. A Ford Focus, PT Cruiser or F150 4X4 is not a similar car. In fact that is the only options they offer at that site. They do not offer a "premium" car at all. That means that we have to settle for either the small Focus, PT Cruiser or the 4X4 F150. The profile of the F150 was so high that my wife had to climb up into the cab. The gass mileage was 17 mpg average at close to $3 a gallon. We did a lot of driving. My point is that if you advertise a certain car that you don't even carry it is a kind of bait and switch deal. I am very glad that you were happy with your dealings with ANC airport Enterprise but we were not. The girl at the counter told me that we got a good price so we should be happy. We do not like deceptive advertising nor did we like having to drive around in a 4X4 F150 all week. I will not do business with Enterprise again.

By the way, you say that "obviously we got or higher." That is very funny because that truck was so high profile that it was difficult for my wife to get in and out of all week. It was not a "similar" car though.

Wow, I would have considered the Ford F150 4x4 an awesome upgrade. I would have been making good use of that. Driving up to Trapper Creek and exploring back on the Petersville Rd. Lots of places you could have gone that the Nissan wouldn't have been able to. You were so lucky to get that. That F150 beats a Maxima hands down any day of the week.

We also have had very good luck with Enterprise. We wanted a truck just for the purpose of it being a large vehicle in the event (God forbid) we hit a moose. unlikely probably- but I wasn't taking any chance traveling in the Kenai area at all hours of the day. The back seat works greats for luggage if need be. Sorry you weren't happy with your vehicle at least you got a car I always worry I'll get there and they won't have one even with my confirmation. Cars break down, car accidents, people don't return them on time, etc. Karon:)

We found an add on line placed by Enterprise for a "Premium" car. It listed the car as Maxima or "similar" car. The add was placed by Enterprise rental car for ANC airport. A Ford Focus, PT Cruiser or F150 4X4 is not a similar car. In fact that is the only options they offer at that site. They do not offer a "premium" car at all. That means that we have to settle for either the small Focus, PT Cruiser or the 4X4 F150. The profile of the F150 was so high that my wife had to climb up into the cab. The gass mileage was 17 mpg average at close to $3 a gallon. We did a lot of driving. My point is that if you advertise a certain car that you don't even carry it is a kind of bait and switch deal. I am very glad that you were happy with your dealings with ANC airport Enterprise but we were not. The girl at the counter told me that we got a good price so we should be happy. We do not like deceptive advertising nor did we like having to drive around in a 4X4 F150 all week. I will not do business with Enterprise again.

By the way, you say that "obviously we got or higher." That is very funny because that truck was so high profile that it was difficult for my wife to get in and out of all week. It was not a "similar" car though.

I did pay attention, thank you! I am just repeating what is told by dozens of car rental companies across the US and across the world. Car rental companies reserve the right to "upgrade" anyone for no additional charge if the car class that they reserve is not available. Granted, they should not offer a premium car if one is not even on their lot. Apparently they no longer offer premium cars at the Anchorage airport, per a check of multiple dates on their website. So that snafu has apparently been fixed.

As was stated by more than one person on this thread, you were in fact upgraded, whether or not you liked the upgrade.

As was also stated by more than one person on this thread, they were also pleased with their dealings with Enterprise.

Unfortunately not every company will please every person every time.

I am not saying that in your personal opinion that a 4X4 F150 is not an upgrade or even that it is not an upgrade. I am simply saying that they offered a deal that included a car that does not exist at this rental office. We did not have plans for a mud whomping or driving the back country. Had that been the case of course the 4X4 F150 would have been preferred. I did not want to pack our baggage for a two week trip into a Focus or PT Cruiser (don't like either of those vehicles) nor did I want my wife having to climb up into the cab of a high profile vehicle. I wanted the car that thy had advertised and sent a contract for but did not even carry on their lot. Is that so hard to understand? They acted like they were doing us a favor by providing the F150. They were not apologetic about advertising a car they did not even carry. If you prefer a truck to a Nissan Maxiima then that is your personal business. I would not have booked with Enterprise if I knew they didn't even have the car they were advertising and never did.

I did pay attention, thank you! I am just repeating what is told by dozens of car rental companies across the US and across the world. Car rental companies reserve the right to "upgrade" anyone for no additional charge if the car class that they reserve is not available. Granted, they should not offer a premium car if one is not even on their lot. Apparently they no longer offer premium cars at the Anchorage airport, per a check of multiple dates on their website. So that snafu has apparently been fixed.

As was stated by more than one person on this thread, you were in fact upgraded, whether or not you liked the upgrade.

As was also stated by more than one person on this thread, they were also pleased with their dealings with Enterprise.

Unfortunately not every company will please every person every time.

I am not trying to be difficult just pointing out that the car they advertised was "never" available at that site. They falsely advertised a car they did not have. You are right that if they run out of a car that you contracted for they have the right to upgrade. However, in this case, they never had the car they advertised at that location. I wanted a sedan because it suited our needs better. If we were heading off into the back country then we would have preferred the 4X4 F150. Some people love PU trucks and that is fine but we are not PU type people. If I had just been told that they didn't have what they advertised then I would have gladly moved on to another rental car agency. Just don't tell me that you have what you don't have and do not plan to have. Heck, I even called and talked to them on the phone before arriving to make sure everything was okay. I was told that if the did not have a Maxima they would give me something similar. Why didn't they just tell me right then that they in fact did not have anything similar? That's all I'm saying, it was deceptive. I am not wishing to debate with anyone on this board about personal taste.

Maybe because its a nationwide company, the advertising was such. I'm sure not all states carry the exact car as advertised. With that said did you reserve by web? again a nationwide site. If you called and asked for that specific car -yeah then I would be miffed. Also did you confirm your reservation? I've confirmed mine twice- by phone for my specific car/type(truck any type). For the cost I'm surprised you went to the airport enterprise the cc boards are always telling people to rent off site of the airport. I hope it did not take away from your experience in Alaska. Karon:)

I understand the OP's distress; no matter how much other posters may love a pickup, it was quite another kettle of fish than a sedan. I know I'm uncomfortable when I've requested a compact and always end up with some huge minivan, because it seems, not being used to driving a certain type of vehicle can lead to accidents.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make and I think something that's showcased by this post is, Alaska is not like other places, and that must always be kept in mind. I've seen similar complaints in posts about renting in Skagway, about requesting a certain vehicle and not getting it.

There's just not the situation, in say, California, where all sorts of cars are dropped off and moved around the region at rental locations. Anchorage is the end of the line, and there's no new cars coming in. I bet they choose cars that will be requested for rentals and will sell easily at the end of their lives.

As for the PT Cruiser, I'm convinced that rental companies got a deal, 1 million cars for a dime. The Juneau airport is/was heavily stocked with them. I've gotten them in CA when renting and find them awful. I see quite a few locals driving Cruisers in Juneau, but since they are such an impractical car for AK--low to the ground, bad visibility, no 4x4--I assume people bought them second hand from the rental companies. Sort of like we all walk around in the clearance sale tee shirts and fleeces once you call go home! :D

I booked this same deal. If I had to guess, you (and the other poster who says they have it booked in a few weeks) got a stellar daily rate on it and didn't in fact pay extra for the premium compared to what you would've paid for a "regular" car. In my case, the cost to book this "premium" car was about 1/3 of (not off!) a "compact" car.

I called to double check my reservation last week, and the very nice gentleman who answered and helped me said that all was well. Before I hung up he said, "Ma'am, I also just want to be clear on one thing. Your rental for a Premium car is valid... but up here, a Premium car isn't the same as you'd get in the lower 48. We don't really have Premium cars, so you'll probably end up with something like a PT cruiser. Is that OK?" When I said 'sure', he said something like 'Ok good, because you got an awesome rate due to a glitch in the national booking system that put this deal out for a little while, and if you'd wanted to change categories it actually would've gotten a lot more expensive."

So, this doesn't at all minimize the fact that it sounds like a truck was inconvenient for you and your wife, or that it wasn't a Maxima like you'd expected. But personally, I know I got a stellar rate, and am totally OK with this - even moreso considering the guy went out of his way to let me know what to expect!

and don't want to keep bitching about it. It amazes me how people want to let a big car rental place off the hook so easily. The fact is that they advertised a specific type of car at a specific location and did not ever have that type of car at that location. They sent me a confirmation that I would have that car at that location. I called them on the phone and was assured that I would have that car or "similar" when I arrived. They did not tell me that they only have Ford Focus, PT Cruisers or 4X4 F150's at that time. If they are now doing a disclaimer it might have to do with the fact that I confronted them rather strongly. In fact they told me that they would be pulling that deal off the web. It is simple bait and switch in my book. I am moving on. I just wanted others to be aware of this practice. I will not do business with them again.

So, this doesn't at all minimize the fact that it sounds like a truck was inconvenient for you and your wife, or that it wasn't a Maxima like you'd expected. But personally, I know I got a stellar rate, and am totally OK with this - even moreso considering the guy went out of his way to let me know what to expect!

Well I for one thank the OP for the heads up. I got a bit of a deal, but it was more like 80% of the cost of everyone else rather than 1/3.

Luckily I made a couple rental car reservations. I feel bad doing it, but considering how much these places seem to screw everyone over, I am not getting stuck without a car in Alaska.. we are on a tight time schedule.

We also had two premium cars reserved with Enterprise and were also told there were none available because of a "computer glitch". A little squeaking and we got 20 % off our quote, a Malibu and a SUV for 9 days at $375.00 total each. Both had a lot of inside passenger room, the car had a big trunk and the SUV had lots of luggage room in the back.

We were more than pleased with the cars and the price. Just be sure to look the cars over good as they have some miles on them. The Car was missing a large cosmetic front end part and the SUV had a good size dent on the fender. No problems just look closely.

Archived