Should we do a tour in Athens or a DIY?

busybee2

It really depends on what you like and your budget.

Athens is a relatively easy city to explore by yourself via the Metro and you can save money by doing so. However, using a guide can provide advantages such as you can see more in the same amount of time, the commentary of a tour guide can add interest and it probably would reduce the amount of walking you do which can be important given how hot it is in Athens in August.

One other comment. If you have not been there, I would add the ancient Agora to your list. I found it as interesting as the Acropolis and the little museum there has some interesting pieces.

We will be in Athens on Thurs. Aug. 6th. We are trying to decide whether or not to do a tour with Paul http://www.athensbytaxi.com/ or to see Athens on our own. We want to explore the Acropolis and surrounding area as well as go to the National Arch. Museum. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Athens is a paradise the first days of August... all Greeks are at islands and the roads are empty... the only problem (maybe) is the hot...about your choose, I agree with DEL67...

Hi,

We have just returned from our cruise and had done a walking tour of Athens. We are a family of 5. If we had to do it over again, we would have done it on our own. We were a group of around 20. Basically our walking tour was from Stymaga metro station to the Acropolis, with a few stops along the way. It took 3 hours. With a good guide book, we would have done much more in 3 hours. Athens is very easy to navigate and the locals speak very good english and are very helpful. The Acrolopis is really close to several metro stations!

We did a DIY port day in Athens and then a 3 day post cruise stay on another trip.

If you enjoy walking, and have a guidebook and a map, it's a great city to explore on your own. The historic sites are close together and walking gives you a chance to see things in between the sites rather than just driving from one to the other.

If you prefer to have someone chauffeur you to each site while providing some explanation, then you'll enjoy having a private driver. The driver will drop you off at each site and give you time to explore on your own.

On one of our post cruise days we hired a driver to take us to Corinth and Mycanae ... it was a great day, but I don't think I would want to pay those rates to be chauffeured to the historic sites in Athens since they are so close together.

We did a DIY port day in Athens and then a 3 day post cruise stay on another trip.

If you enjoy walking, and have a guidebook and a map, it's a great city to explore on your own. The historic sites are close together and walking gives you a chance to see things in between the sites rather than just driving from one to the other.

If you prefer to have someone chauffeur you to each site while providing some explanation, then you'll enjoy having a private driver. The driver will drop you off at each site and give you time to explore on your own.

On one of our post cruise days we hired a driver to take us to Corinth and Mycanae ... it was a great day, but I don't think I would want to pay those rates to be chauffeured to the historic sites in Athens since they are so close together.

I'd have to agree with Susan. If you want to stay in the city of Athens and see the sights you mention, you can DIY pretty easily. If you want to see things outside the city, like Corinth and Mycenae, a private driver seems to be the best option.

We will be in Athens on Thurs. Aug. 6th. We are trying to decide whether or not to do a tour with Paul http://www.athensbytaxi.com/ or to see Athens on our own. We want to explore the Acropolis and surrounding area as well as go to the National Arch. Museum. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi,

We did a tour with Athensbytaxi last September. We had Paul's son Jimmy, and he was wonderful. Our tour was an late afternoon sunset tour to the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion.

In Athens itself, we did it on our own using Syntagma Square as a centralized starting point. From tere it is very easy to get to locations such as:

Acropolis, Plaka, Agora, Parliament Bldg. (Changing of the guards), Hadrian's Arch. All within walking distance.

If you rather a walking tour, you might want to consider this company:

http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/info.html

A short taxi ride from Syntagma Sq., is Natl. Archaeological Museum, which is HIGHLY recommended. We enjoyed it just as much as the Acropolis.

I also would highly suggest a taxi ride to the funicular car for Lykavittos Hill, which is about a 5-min taxi ride from the square. Highest point in all of Athens, on a clear day it is a spectacular view. Panoramic view of all of Athens, you actually are looking down on the Acropolis, and can also see as far as the harbor. There is the small, 19th century white chapel of St George at the top, as well as a small cafe for coffee or lunch.

Also, if time & budget permit, the rooftop breakfast buffet at the Grande Bretagne Hotel in Syntagma Sq. is excellent, plus the view of the Acropolis from there is to be remembered for a long time.

Here is a very general map of Athens, that you might find useful:

http://www.athensguide.com/map/athens.htm

Have a wonderful time, however you decide to spend your time.

Anthony

First, for clarity -- In Greece there are very few licensed guides as the test is very hard. Paul, George, Jimmy and the other well known taxi drivers recommended on this board are NOT licensed guides and cannot go into the sites with you.

The first time we went to Athens we did have a licensed guide. We did a comprehensive trip including a great lunch in the Plaka. The guide climbed the Acropolis with us and gave us a great deal of information. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html.

The second time, we walked the Antiquities Promenade on our own with a guidebook. It is very easy and we learned a lot and enjoyed it. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html. There is a pretty good map there too.

There is a lot of information on this board about the taxis and metro from the port. Read it carefully.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your suggestions and helpful information and links. I think we will venture out and do it on our own. We like to follow our own agendas and if it's easy enough to do than we will go for it.

Fafos, it's nice to hear that Athens is a paradise in early August! I've heard that July and August are terrible times to go so this is refreshing information :)

Anthony, thanks for your tip about Lykavittos Hill. I will definitely put it on our itinererary.

Del67, how do we get to the ancient agora? Will we come across it on our walk around the Acropolis?

Thanks again,

Monika

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your suggestions and helpful information and links. I think we will venture out and do it on our own. We like to follow our own agendas and if it's easy enough to do than we will go for it.

Fafos, it's nice to hear that Athens is a paradise in early August! I've heard that July and August are terrible times to go so this is refreshing information :)

Anthony, thanks for your tip about Lykavittos Hill. I will definitely put it on our itinererary.

Del67, how do we get to the ancient agora? Will we come across it on our walk around the Acropolis?

Thanks again,

Monika

Last 40 years I never go out of Athens the August... maybe you meet hot days but Athens has a different face than other months...

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again,

Monika

Fafos could probably describe it better than I can, but it is on the road that circles the Acropolis fairly close to the Monastraki station. Note: The Roman Agora is nearby too, but I did not find it as interesting.

Here is a link to map that shows it as the Archea Agora (bottom corner of C1).

http://www.gogreece.com/maps/athens/

Notes:

We enjoyed the view from Lykavittos Hill, but if you take the Metro there, I suggest you take a taxi from the station to the tram. Otherwise you walk up hundreds of steps. We did it and my daughter has not let me forget!

The National Archeological musuem is huge and to really see it could take hours. If you start to run short of time, you might want to consider the new Acropolis Museum instead. It just opened so have not been there yet, but it has many pieces from the Acropolis. My daughter and I are planning to go there when we are back in Athens during our cruise next month. It is near the Acropolis station.

Hi Monika,

Since Lykavittos/Lycabettus Hill was of interest , I thought a few photos from there would provide you with a better idea of the views.

View of Acropolis, part of Athens & Harbor:

http://images1e.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp8%3A8%3Enu%3D3239%3E3%3B8%3E%3B%3A2%3E232%3A3%3B8%3C93%3A33ot1lsi

Another view of Athens:

http://images1e.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp894%3Enu%3D3239%3E3%3B8%3E%3B%3A2%3E232%3A3%3B8%3C939%3C3ot1lsi

Chapel of St George:

http://images2b.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53636%3Enu%3D3379%3E6%3A%3A%3E395%3EWSNRCG%3D32394%3A7%3A8%3B72%3Anu0mrj

Side note: Taxi from Syntagma Sq to the funicular station cost us 5 Euros back in September.

Dale: How's Rt 206 treating you? I'm a Rt 78 man myself, all the way out to exit 4. Gotta love the NJ traffic. VBG

Anthony

Hi Monika,

Since Lykavittos/Lycabettus Hill was of interest , I thought a few photos from there would provide you with a better idea of the views.

http://images1e.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp8%3A8%3Enu%3D3239%3E3%3B8%3E%3B%3A2%3E232%3A3%3B8%3C93%3A33ot1lsi

Another view of Athens:

http://images1e.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp894%3Enu%3D3239%3E3%3B8%3E%3B%3A2%3E232%3A3%3B8%3C939%3C3ot1lsi

Chapel of St George:

http://images2b.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53636%3Enu%3D3379%3E6%3A%3A%3E395%3EWSNRCG%3D32394%3A7%3A8%3B72%3Anu0mrj

Side note: Taxi from Syntagma Sq to the funicular station cost us 5 Euros back in September.

Dale: How's Rt 206 treating you? I'm a Rt 78 man myself, all the way out to exit 4. Gotta love the NJ traffic. VBG

Anthony

So here I am, just your average Jersey girl, checking out tour info for the 10/30 Solstice cruise my friend Jenn and I are taking to the Eastern Med, and I stumble across fellow jerseyans. Well Hi! Route 287, Exit 10 here, and my friend Jennis off 206.

Thanks for the Athens touring info!

CorgiGuy, Loved the photos. I assume these were taken from the area high above the Acropolis? We have been to Athens a couple of times and each time say we want to take a trip "up there" cannot remember what that area is called. We understand there are restaurants up there, do you know this? Also from the ship can we take a taxi or do you have to ride the funicular? We will be there in September.

So here I am, just your average Jersey girl, checking out tour info for the 10/30 Solstice cruise my friend Jenn and I are taking to the Eastern Med, and I stumble across fellow jerseyans. Well Hi! Route 287, Exit 10 here, and my friend Jennis off 206.

Thanks for the Athens touring info!

Hi Jersey Girl,

First off let me say, no Jersey Girl is average. (That can be a good or a bad thing) VBG

We enjoyed the Celebrity Summit in 2006 southbound from Alaska (Seward to Vancouver). They provide a quality experience.

Your itinerary sounds great, our Med. cruise last Sept. also visited Civitavecchia, Mykonos & Kusadasi. Regarding vacations, I'm somewhat of a research "Nut", if you'd like any info/feedback from my experience, I'd be glad to provide any info I had. Just let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

PS: Since your off exit 10 on 287, I have to suggest a wonderful restaurant nearby. Its' called Girosole, and it is just off exit 13 @ 502 W. Union Ave., in Bound Brook. It is a BYOB. Been there 3 or 4 times and food & service have always been very good. (I don't normally travel 45 minutes to go to a restaurant, but I do for Girosole's.

Hope you & your friend Jenn have a wonderful time.

Anthony

CorgiGuy, Loved the photos. I assume these were taken from the area high above the Acropolis? We have been to Athens a couple of times and each time say we want to take a trip "up there" cannot remember what that area is called. We understand there are restaurants up there, do you know this? Also from the ship can we take a taxi or do you have to ride the funicular? We will be there in September.

How this answers some of your questions:

* These were taken from the top of Lykavittos/Lycabettus Hill.

* There is a restaurant/cafe at the top, we did not eat there.

* I would take a taxi get to Lykavittos Hill funicular car station. Then you buy a ticket to ride the funicular car to the top of the hill. The ride is only about 3-5 minutes long.

I understand there is also a trail you can take, but it is somewhat steep & will take you some time to make it to the top. If you have the time and the energy, you might want to consider it for your return to the bottom. However, I don't think it will return you to the funicular station area.

Stay well,

Anthony

, how do we get to the ancient agora? Will we come across it on our walk around the Acropolis?

Many tours just go to the Acropolis itself.

However, the entire Antiquities Promenade runs from the Temple of Zeus in the southeast to the Kerameikos cemetary in the northwest, and on the way passes the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, and the Ancient Agora as well as many other sites. It is an easy walk from the Acropolis to the Ancient Agora but you will probably not just "come across" it.

Checkout the map and pictures at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Monika,

Another view of Athens:

Chapel of St George:

Anthony

Anthony:

Actually I take Rt 78 to work. Not fun, especially recently. With the construction its hard to know wether it will take 25 minutes or over a hour.

Just returned from east med cruise. As this was not our first trip to Athens we really only wanted to see the ancient agora, and followed Fafos' advice on another thread to get off the metro at Thissio. The entrance to the site was only about 50 yards from the station, and at 10.30-11 am the area was pretty quiet. As the temperature was touching 40 degrees, we made it a short visit, but found the site and surrounding area very interesting and attractive. Thanks to Fafos for this tip.

kate

We just came back from our Med cruise, and used Paul from Athens Taxi. They were GREAT!.....reliable, knowledgeable, and affordable. I highly recommend them. We had the best 9 hr tour of Athens.

Thanks!

Depending on the traffic, the Acropolis itself and the surrounding site are an easy DIY.

We were there on a Sunday so the traffic and the crowds were very light. It's my understanding that is not the case on weekdays...

Archived