Shore Excursion Recommendation for Palermo

CRUISERTN

Looking for a good shore excursion recommendation while in Palermo. Cannot decide whether to stay around Palermo and visit the sights there, or go to the Selinute area or in another direction to Segesta/Erice. Would appreciate any recommendations and whether the tour was booked through the ship or a private tour, and the name of the company that you used if a private tour.

I cannot recommend a tour company as we have always done Sicily on our own. I know there have been other posts regarding private tour operaters for the Palermo area.

How much time do you have in port and what are your sightseeing priorities?

Selinunte would be the farthest site from Palermo,(approximately 80 km) via A29 or #115 and a secondary road. From Palermo itself you should allow at least an hour and 45 minutes.

Segesta us approximately 40 km from Palermo and Erice is another 30 km from Segesta. If your choice was Segesta/Erice my suggestion would be to start in Erice and work you way back to Segesta and return to Palermo. There is no good or bad time to visit either site. Erice is perched 800 meters on the top of a mountain and can be misty and cool even in the summer, it is a good idea to bring a jacket or sweater with you.

But, there are so many things to see in and around Palermo and less driving that a tour of the city itself is not to be missed.

Again, this is something that you need to decide what you most want to see and how much time you have or want to spend getting there.

Segesta/Erice are closer (allow approximately 45 minutes to reach Segesta).

If you enjoy art and history or even just to explore a vibrant city, I would recommend to stay in Palermo. There are so many sights to see and it can be done so easily walking on your own that there is no need to waste time on going to some other place missing the gems right there in front of the ship.

We were in Palermo last August. You can do it on your own, the port is in the centre, but if you go on Summer it can be very hot and the city is quite big. Anyway I suggest you to take a taxi, I found them at the arrive in the port, they offered us trips lasting two or three hours, at the cost of 100-150€, the cost is for each cab, not for person. You can choose if you want to visit the sights in the city or to go to Monreale, the driver says something about the sights, but we are Italian, I don't know if they can speak English. He waits while you're taking photos and you can stay the time you want in each place. It was nice as it was very hot and the taxi had AC. Enjoy your cruise.

We went to the seaside town of Cefula independently by train . It was a nice ride along the coast. It was a fraction of the cost by the cruise line. We then did a little sightseeing in Palermo after our return before boarding.

• 4 years later...

Archived