what am I missing????

chloes nana

I am now 30 days out to when we fly to Rome for our 20 day Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam. Being this is my first cruise, what am I missing and what should I be doing by now or should have done. I have my lovely blue packet in hand and have started the packing, just need the final touches on that. We are doing cash for our onboard account and the 2 debit cards we are taking, have been notified. We are retired so everything is cash and carry for us! So between now and when I leave what else should I have done, or be doing? thanks for the suggestions, don't want to leave anything to the last minute and my DH has left it ALL:o up to me. :eek:

Do you have everything you need for the trip? Passports current? Do you have a good camera and spare batteries and a big memory card (assuming you have a digital camera)? Have you looked into whether you'll be able to charge things like batteries onboard the ship?

Not sure what's available on your ship, but if they have specialty restaurants, have you made any reservations if you have any special nights planned? I know you don't have to pre-book restaurants, but if there's something specific you want, it can't hurt to plan it ahead of time.

Have you researched any ports and/or excursions? Booked anything?

Do you have copies made of key travel documents, passports, ID, etc.? A list of any credit cards you might have for emergencies?

Do you have a list of people you might want to send postcards or e-mails to?

Do you have extra of any meds you might need? What about over the counter meds (tummy stuff, headaches, etc.)?

Are you staying overnight near the port before boarding? Have you confirmed all of that?

Are you ready to have an amazing trip? Getting lots of rest beforehand? Met anyone in the roll call for your trip?

Remember to stop your mail and/or newspaper ... or arrange a neighbor to handle for you.

In our community, we can arrange a police watch, and Officer Friendly will check on the place daily. once each shift.

Also, for any bills that might come due in your absence, either pre-pay them or arrange for auto-pay while you're gone.

Chloes nana....we are just back from the western part of your cruise. The Noordam was wonderful with a great itinerery. We found Tunis, Tunisia to be very fascinating We took the Best of Tunis through the ship....great tour! I took a neck pillow for the plane, even though it took up space...glad I did.

We got euros (small bills) in Atlanta. If you kept the receipt you could cash in bills with no fee (with minimum $250) purchase on the way back. We tipped in Euro's

I plan to write a review, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Have a Wonderful Cruise...you are going to amazing ports!:)

Karen

Do you have everything you need for the trip? Passports current? pass ports are current.

Do you have a good camera and spare batteries and a big memory card (assuming you have a digital camera)? DH bought me a new camera and I have many memory cards for it it uses a rechargable batter so I have the charger packed as well as spare batteries

Have you looked into whether you'll be able to charge things like batteries onboard the ship?

I have read to here either to take my own power strip or get one from my steward, not sure which one to do??

Not sure what's available on your ship, but if they have specialty restaurants, have you made any reservations if you have any special nights planned?

It will be just a little after our 28th anniversary and my DH will be celebrating (even though he doesn't want to) his 60th birthday on the last evening of our cruise and post cruise in the hotel we are staying at. I also have an obnoxius sign to have the stewards put on the cabin door while we are out that day.

I know you don't have to pre-book restaurants, but if there's something specific you want, it can't hurt to plan it ahead of time.

i have booked the Pinnacle Grill for one evening to see if it is worth the price and may book another night if we find it extroardinary.

Have you researched any ports and/or excursions? Booked anything?

we booked this cruise last October and I have been researching since. we are doing alot of ships excursuions since this our first time cruising and our first trip to Europe.

Do you have copies made of key travel documents, passports, ID, etc.? yep!

A list of any credit cards you might have for emergencies?

and the overseas phone numbers, I believe I read that you cannot use 800 or toll free numbers in Europe

Do you have a list of people you might want to send postcards or e-mails to?

all set up in my netbook.

Do you have extra of any meds you might need? What about over the counter meds (tummy stuff, headaches, etc.)?

I believe overkill is the best word for me on this, being a retired nurse makes that one easy

Are you staying overnight near the port before boarding? Have you confirmed all of that?

we are staying 2 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post cruise. TA set these up, do you think I should still confirm them on my own?

Are you ready to have an amazing trip?

I can hardly wait!

Getting lots of rest beforehand?

I don't know how anyone can sleep ahead of time, my mind is racing and the butterflies won't go to sleep!

Met anyone in the roll call for your trip?

I actually started the roll call but it is very quiet:(

wow! thanks for all those tips!

any other ideas on things I might have missed?

Remember to stop your mail and/or newspaper ... or arrange a neighbor to handle for you.

got a neighbor watching the house and will stop mail, we have a home based business and don't want to rely on the neighbor to bring all that in.

In our community, we can arrange a police watch, and Officer Friendly will check on the place daily. once each shift.

great idea! will have to check and see if the Sheriffs office will do that here.

Also, for any bills that might come due in your absence, either pre-pay them or arrange for auto-pay while you're gone.

another good one! forgot about that one!

thanks!:D

Chloes nana....we are just back from the western part of your cruise. The Noordam was wonderful with a great itinerery. We found Tunis, Tunisia to be very fascinating We took the Best of Tunis through the ship....great tour! I took a neck pillow for the plane, even though it took up space...glad I did.

We got euros (small bills) in Atlanta. If you kept the receipt you could cash in bills with no fee (with minimum $250) purchase on the way back. We tipped in Euro's

I plan to write a review, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Have a Wonderful Cruise...you are going to amazing ports!:)

Karen

thanks! I can hardly wait, it seemed so far off and now it is just around the corner and I don't want to miss a thing! I am excited about doing the ships tours, many of them are alot of walking, but it beats sitting on a bus and watching it as it goes by!

thanks! I can hardly wait, it seemed so far off and now it is just around the corner and I don't want to miss a thing! I am excited about doing the ships tours, many of them are alot of walking, but it beats sitting on a bus and watching it as it goes by!

A few more tips in addition to the excellent advice you have received: we were warned over and over to watch out for pick pockets and the many diversion scams they use. We felt safe everywhere, but kept valuables in our neck safes and were aware of those around us.

In Tunis you take a landing card which is turned in as you return to the ship. You also had to carry your passport. We were there on a Sunday, and there was no traffic. Everything looked very clean. Many shops in the Souk were closed, but enough were open to make it interesting. The amazing Bardo Museum was crowded as tour groups were moved through, but one did have time to look at the mosaics up close. Carthage was fascinating and not crowded...it looked better in person than on Google Earth, and the Mediterranean was a gorgeous shade of turquoise. Sidi Bou Said had lots of shops and cafe's, but is on a hill..quite a walk to view the Sea. The dockside store was well stocked and there were natives with camels outside for rides and pictures.

The ports were hot and humid ( I am from the desert, so I noticed it more) We did a lot of walking over cobblestones,but it was worth it.

The crew on the Noordam was fantastic. Capt. Mateboer did a Q&A session open to all. There was a "Collecters Cruise Luncheon" for 20 day passengers, an Indonesian Buffet. We didn't go to many shows, but what we saw was good.

I know you will have fun!

Karen

To add onto the other poster's advice about being safe in ports, one other thing I know that happens to people is mixups with change.

Say, for example, you buy something small and give them the equivalent of a $20 bill (in whatever currency). You receive change back for $10 and when you say you gave them a $20, they hold up a $10 instead and insist that's what you gave them. Best to have them count out the change before you pay in some places like markets.

Also be sure you understand any local currencies - it can be very easy to get confused and tip someone $50 when you meant to tip $5, etc.

A few more tips in addition to the excellent advice you have received:

In Tunis you take a landing card which is turned in as you return to the ship. You also had to carry your passport. We were there on a Sunday, and there was no traffic. Sidi Bou Said had lots of shops and cafe's, but is on a hill..quite a walk to view the Sea.

The ports were hot and humid ( I am from the desert, so I noticed it more) We did a lot of walking over cobblestones,but it was worth it.

I know you will have fun!

Karen

Do you have to have your actual passport or can you take a copy?

Sidi Bou Said is how much of a walk? I know we are booked to go there also would love to know the walking distance. :confused:

What time of the year did you go Karen?

Is early September any cooler?

thanks for all your info!

Phyllis

Fill out your emigration forms and print your boarding pass for the cruise now. If there is any problem you’ll have a chance to get them corrected.

Check online with the airlines. You can’t check in online for international flights, but this will give you a chance to select better seats and add missing frequent flyer information.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Fill out your emigration forms and print your boarding pass for the cruise now. If there is any problem you’ll have a chance to get them corrected.

Check online with the airlines. You can’t check in online for international flights, but this will give you a chance to select better seats and add missing frequent flyer information.

Aunty Pat

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

thanks Pat, however I was under the impression I could do the boarding passes for both legs of my trip on British Airways on line 24 hours prior to the flight??

also do I need to fill out the paper version in my blue packet if I have already done the online check in through HAL?

If you have done HAL’s online check in and take a printed copy with you you do not need to fill out the form in the blue folder.

I haven’t flown BA in years and avoid them if I can. They are not very customer friendly, not letting you select your seats until 24 hours before departure. That’s why you need to check in online and not wait until you get to the airport. But because of security you still need to check in at the airport so that they can swipe your passport.

Aunty Pat

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

yep! got those about a month ago, have 3000 euro to start with and the debit cards should we need them:)

Are you carrying 3000 Euros in cash? :eek:

I would not recommend carrying that amount of money, especially if you do not have a credit card as backup.

You say you are taking 2 debit cards. Why not put the 3000 in your account and use the debit cards to withraw cash as needed.

Hey neighbor. I live in Apple Valley and know what you mean about humidity. You know, like the stuff we have right now!

To the OP, check out the "as a cruise question" board. There are some fabulous lists of everything you might not think to take. You'd need 4 extra suitcases to carry them all, but there are some great ideas. I'll be in the Med on the Oosterdam in October and I'm beside myself with excitement.

Do you have to have your actual passport or can you take a copy?

Sidi Bou Said is how much of a walk? I know we are booked to go there also would love to know the walking distance. :confused:

What time of the year did you go Karen?

Is early September any cooler?

thanks for all your info!

Phyllis

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, you must take your actual passport for Tunisia. We were in the eastern Med last year and some other ports may require taking your passport. In Turkey we had a shore pass. The ship will inform you as to what to take. Some countries required filling out an information sheet and turning it in to the front office.(Tunisia)

In Sidi Bou Said (the Santorini of Tunisia) The bus dropped us off on the main street and went to a bus parking lot....where we went to reboard the bus. It was a 10 minute walk fairly flat to the street leading up a steep hill lined with shops (good deals!) It is a 15-20 min. hike up the hill, turn right, then left and continue walking to places where you can view the Mediterranean...spectacular! on the way down I browsed the shops....I bought ceramic tiles of doors. Tunis is famous for beautiful doors....you will see examples in Sidi Bou Said. I think we had an hour there. There were places to buy ice cream when walking back to the bus.

We were in Tunis July 5. There are places on line where you can check average temperatures. I would expect it to be hot. We were in the Aegean in October and it was HOT!

As a previous poster mentioned, I would not take a large amount of cash. You can cash travellers checks on board for Euros or Dollars. Many vendors will take both. Your ship board account is settled in dollars or travellers checks. I would strongly recommend taking a credit card, even if you don't use it. I will tell you why...on the way to our cruise our international flight on Delta was cancelled... twice. We were in a hotel in Atlanta when the Noordam sailed. When we arrived in Rome we learned that Delta never loaded any luggage on the plane. We bought train tickets with our cc at the kiosk in the Rome train station because every ticket window had 50 people waiting in line. We took the train from Rome up the Italian coast to the next port...Livorno...a 2hour40 minute ride (in first class) took a cab to the ship with 4 hours to spare. We had only our carry ons. We had to buy clothes. Hal did laundry for free each day,but you had to have clothes to put on when they did that. Shops on board are closed when ship is in port. Our luggage came 4 days later in Barcelona. A credit card made this ordeal much easier, plus we had duplicate receipts for our insurance claim. We are both 62, have travelled all over the world and this was a first...but you have to be prepared for anything. HAL was great to us. we enjoyed the cruise and made the best of our circumstance.

I know things will go smoothly for you. Phyllis. Don't overpack! Take bubble wrap for fragile treasures and congratulations on the anniversary and DH's birthday.

Karen

I would not recommend carrying that amount of money, especially if you do not have a credit card as backup.

You say you are taking 2 debit cards. Why not put the 3000 in your account and use the debit cards to withraw cash as needed.

I agree that is an awful lot of cash to be carrying. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding bank machines at every port of call and these give you a perfectly acceptable rate of exchange.

the euros have already been bought a few months ago when the market (dollar) was stronger than it is now. we decided we would split the euros between the 2 of us and each carry half in a money belt and a bra stash, etc. why would this be a problem? I am sorry if I seem naive but I don't see a problem if the money is always on our person??:confused:

Hi Phyllis,

Yes, you must take your actual passport for Tunisia. We were in the eastern Med last year and some other ports may require taking your passport. In Turkey we had a shore pass. The ship will inform you as to what to take. Some countries required filling out an information sheet and turning it in to the front office.(Tunisia)

In Sidi Bou Said (the Santorini of Tunisia) The bus dropped us off on the main street and went to a bus parking lot....where we went to reboard the bus. It was a 10 minute walk fairly flat to the street leading up a steep hill lined with shops (good deals!) It is a 15-20 min. hike up the hill, turn right, then left and continue walking to places where you can view the Mediterranean...spectacular! on the way down I browsed the shops....I bought ceramic tiles of doors. Tunis is famous for beautiful doors....you will see examples in Sidi Bou Said. I think we had an hour there. There were places to buy ice cream when walking back to the bus.

We were in Tunis July 5. There are places on line where you can check average temperatures. I would expect it to be hot. We were in the Aegean in October and it was HOT!

As a previous poster mentioned, I would not take a large amount of cash. You can cash travellers checks on board for Euros or Dollars. Many vendors will take both. Your ship board account is settled in dollars or travellers checks. I would strongly recommend taking a credit card, even if you don't use it. I will tell you why...on the way to our cruise our international flight on Delta was cancelled... twice. We were in a hotel in Atlanta when the Noordam sailed. When we arrived in Rome we learned that Delta never loaded any luggage on the plane. We bought train tickets with our cc at the kiosk in the Rome train station because every ticket window had 50 people waiting in line. We took the train from Rome up the Italian coast to the next port...Livorno...a 2hour40 minute ride (in first class) took a cab to the ship with 4 hours to spare. We had only our carry ons. We had to buy clothes. Hal did laundry for free each day,but you had to have clothes to put on when they did that. Shops on board are closed when ship is in port. Our luggage came 4 days later in Barcelona. A credit card made this ordeal much easier, plus we had duplicate receipts for our insurance claim. We are both 62, have travelled all over the world and this was a first...but you have to be prepared for anything. HAL was great to us. we enjoyed the cruise and made the best of our circumstance.

I know things will go smoothly for you. Phyllis. Don't overpack! Take bubble wrap for fragile treasures and congratulations on the anniversary and DH's birthday.

Karen

thanks for the info Karen, we have two separate debit cards to two separate accounts we are taking as back up and as I stated in another reply the euros have been bought for months. why is it a problem to keep the money on our person until we board the ship in 36 hours after we arrive? we will be using a money belt, a bra stash among other things.:confused:

also do I need to fill out the paper version in my blue packet if I have already done the online check in through HAL?
No need.

I am sorry if I seem naive but I don't see a problem if the money is always on our person??:confused:
Money belts thwart pickpockets, but a mugger would know to look for one. I suggest you leave most of that cash on the ship, some in your room safe and some with the Purser.

Unlike Loreto, at Sidi Bou Said our bus dropped us about 100 yards from the bottom of the hill street. However, we were on a private group excursion, not HAL's.

No need.

Money belts thwart pickpockets, but a mugger would know to look for one. I suggest you leave most of that cash on the ship, some in your room safe and some with the Purser.

Unlike Loreto, at Sidi Bou Said our bus dropped us about 100 yards from the bottom of the hill street. However, we were on a private group excursion, not HAL's.

once we are on the sip it will be left in the safe, however for the 36 hours prior to boarding the ship we have an all day group tour of Rome, and the night before, we are getting to the hotel around 8 pm. the following morning we board the ship. so really it is just the one day we need to safeguard the money. my DH insisted we get them early and not trust the ATMs once we are there, couldn't talk him out of it. any suggestions besides the bra safe and money belt? how about a hidden pocket thing that attaches to a mans belt, is that safer?? I can't remember where I saw them??

once we are on the sip it will be left in the safe, however for the 36 hours prior to boarding the ship we have an all day group tour of Rome, and the night before, we are getting to the hotel around 8 pm. the following morning we board the ship. so really it is just the one day we need to safeguard the money. my DH insisted we get them early and not trust the ATMs once we are there, couldn't talk him out of it. any suggestions besides the bra safe and money belt? how about a hidden pocket thing that attaches to a mans belt, is that safer?? I can't remember where I saw them??

Hotel safe prior to your cruise may be a good idea.

Rich

Archived