NYC Cityscape

jax

The primary difference is that you do not make that progress down the river from midtown to the tip of Manhattan with all the spectacular views that unfolded along the way.

While QM2 used the Manhattan terminal for a time, she was too big for it and stuck out into the river.

I prefer leaving from the Brooklyn terminal rather than the east side of Manhattan for two reasons. First, until the ship sails you can walk on deck and see incredible views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. And second, I find the Brooklyn terminal easier to navigate than the dilapidated New York terminal...especially as one who drives to the ship from Connecticut I find parking oh so easy in Brooklyn.

I prefer leaving from the Brooklyn terminal rather than the east side of Manhattan for two reasons. First, until the ship sails you can walk on deck and see incredible views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. And second, I find the Brooklyn terminal easier to navigate than the dilapidated New York terminal...especially as one who drives to the ship from Connecticut I find parking oh so easy in Brooklyn.

Yes you do get wonderful views, I have never left from the other piers so I cant comment on that.

Ships cat, thanks for the wonderful photos

Bobnatt, welcome back! Hope all is well.

Recently, a major renovation has been completed on one of the west-side piers which has made it very much a superior boarding experience. Went there for an August cruise on the Eurodam and it was perfect...clean...un-crowded...efficient...I am prejudiced because I live 10 minutes by cab from the West-side piers, but they truly have improved (at least according to some) and the schlepp to Red Hook is not the first choice, but necessary to board this great lady! Hey, it beats flying!

There are three piers at the Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan - - Piers 88, 90 and 92.

The City did an extensive refurbishment of Pier 88 making it much more modern. They also put an apron around it so that the ships could be loaded with fork lifts as at Brooklyn and other modern facilities. The only significant problem is that the apron makes it difficult to dock two large ships in the space between 88 and 90.

The City also did some work on Pier 90, cleaning it up and modernizing it somewhat. (Pier 90 is where QE2 used to dock).

Pier 92 does not appear to have had anything done with her. There is a proposal to turn that pier into a convention center, which would be unfortunate as there is more demand for berths in New York during weekends in the peak season than there are berths.

From a navigational perspective, the Passenger Ship Terminal piers are difficult. To enter them, a ship has to make a 90 degree turn across the current and more than one ship has bumped the piers doing it. To exit, a ship has to back out into the river with the current pushing against the port side and then exceute a 90 degree turn. The more modern ships with powerful stern thrusters or azipods, do it without assistance. If the current was particulary strong such as after a heavy rain, QE2 would drift down the river sideways for a half mile or so until the tugs were able to turn her.

Despite such problems, the view going down the river can't be beat.

There are three piers at the Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan - - Piers 88, 90 and 92.

The City did an extensive refurbishment of Pier 88 making it much more modern. They also put an apron around it so that the ships could be loaded with fork lifts as at Brooklyn and other modern facilities. The only significant problem is that the apron makes it difficult to dock two large ships in the space between 88 and 90.

The City also did some work on Pier 90, cleaning it up and modernizing it somewhat. (Pier 90 is where QE2 used to dock).

Pier 92 does not appear to have had anything done with her. There is a proposal to turn that pier into a convention center, which would be unfortunate as there is more demand for berths in New York during weekends in the peak season than there are berths.

From a navigational perspective, the Passenger Ship Terminal piers are difficult. To enter them, a ship has to make a 90 degree turn across the current and more than one ship has bumped the piers doing it. To exit, a ship has to back out into the river with the current pushing against the port side and then exceute a 90 degree turn. The more modern ships with powerful stern thrusters or azipods, do it without assistance. If the current was particulary strong such as after a heavy rain, QE2 would drift down the river sideways for a half mile or so until the tugs were able to turn her.

Despite such problems, the view going down the river can't be beat.

That really is something we are going to have to do, maybe next year, we will have to look up cruise liners that leave from those piers,

Bobnatt, welcome back! Hope all is well.

Yeah I have been gone for quite a few months.Started a new job in the health care field and have been working 24/7 trying to influence the health care legislation in Washington. Just booked the Holiday/New Year's cruise from New York on the QM2 (I hope everyone got the great deal I received) and figured it was time to get back on the board.

I have sailed out of bolth terminals on QM2 and have to say the Hudson sail away is better. longer and with the skyline in full view.I also like the historic location and the other ships right next door.Plus I used to stay at the Hyatt and could watch the ship sail in..and with light cases you could actually walk to the terminal. The Brooklyn terminal is nice thou..clean modern and has alot of open space around it, thou seems cabs.ect have a hard time finding it still .The sail away is still nice thou nowhere as long and less dramatic..you do get under the bridge faster and seems early seating guests are able to enjoy the full sailway and still make dinner..It would seem QM2 will call Brooklyn home for a very long time so we might as well enjoy it.

Having sailed into both the Manhattan and Brooklyn terminals, I have to say I enjoyed both the views. Dawn over Brooklyn Bridge was astounding. The main problem was getting into Manhattan from Brooklyn for the day sightseeing. It was a piece of cake from the old Cunard Pier.

Yeah I have been gone for quite a few months.Started a new job in the health care field and have been working 24/7 trying to influence the health care legislation in Washington. Just booked the Holiday/New Year's cruise from New York on the QM2 (I hope everyone got the great deal I received) and figured it was time to get back on the board.

OMG! Not about influencing the health care legislation...that must be a full-time job, for sure. But you and we are on the same trip!!! If you have not already, please do join the roll call, and quite sincerely, I do look forward to meeting you and celebrating the holidays on that amazing voyage! (P.S., we saw the price drop and have benefited for sure, upping from Britannia to BClub with a lower fare...and perhaps more to come?)

Michael

OMG! Not about influencing the health care legislation...that must be a full-time job, for sure. But you and we are on the same trip!!! If you have not already, please do join the roll call, and quite sincerely, I do look forward to meeting you and celebrating the holidays on that amazing voyage! (P.S., we saw the price drop and have benefited for sure, upping from Britannia to BClub with a lower fare...and perhaps more to come?)

Michael

Yeah now that I am back perhaps I should start a thread on the appropriate amount to tip. That always starts a lively debate.

Yeah now that I am back perhaps I should start a thread on the appropriate amount to tip. That always starts a lively debate.

Hi Bob, Welcome back. There will have been a lot of new members joined while you were away so so the benefit of those who came late,

Just How Much Do You Tip?

Don't be shy. We all love you.

Good luck with the new job.

Gari

Hi Bob, Welcome back. There will have been a lot of new members joined while you were away so so the benefit of those who came late,

Gari

For goodness sakes Gari, do not get him started!!!:p

I thought it had been quiet on here lately.

You know, Bob, I was just wondering this morning just where Bob was. Now I know--YOU ARE BACK--Very nice!

Gail:)

PS And please tell them how Americans tip!

Gari

Ok, for those new to the Cunard thread these are the tipping rules to make sure you have a great vacation:

1. When you arrive at the pier tip the long shoreman at least $5/bag ($10 is even better) to make sure your luggage arrives promptly in your stateroom, isn't left out in the rain or "accidently" ends up on another ship.
  2. Remember the gratuity that is added to your daily account is not really a tip and should be viewed as just part of the cruise fare. The pool that the daily gratuity creates is not sufficient to properly reward the staff that takes care of you.
  3. For your room steward you should tip $10/person/day and you should give him/her half the tip on embarkation and let him know that the rest will be coming at the end of the cruise as long as the service is excellent. If you are in Queens Grill accomodation a similar amount should be given to the butler.
  4. If you don't get the table you desire in the dining room an appropriate tip to the maitre d' will usually solve the problem.
  5. Tip your waiter $10/person/day and the bus boy $7.50/person/day...again half up front gets you great service for the entire cruise.

Ok, so it sounds like a lot of money. But the reality is that on the 15 day holiday cruise I will be taking in December the tips will amount to about $1200 for a cruise that will cost Helen and I about $15,000 for QG accomodations or less than 10% of the cost of the cruise. I feel that is a fair amount to pay for excellent service. Some might quibble about up front payments, however I would rather make sure the service is excellent than "hope" that the service will be excellent and complain after the fact if there are problems.

Ok, for those new to the Cunard thread these are the tipping rules to make sure you have a great vacation:

1. When you arrive at the pier tip the long shoreman at least $5/bag ($10 is even better) to make sure your luggage arrives promptly in your stateroom, isn't left out in the rain or "accidently" ends up on another ship.
  2. Remember the gratuity that is added to your daily account is not really a tip and should be viewed as just part of the cruise fare. The pool that the daily gratuity creates is not sufficient to properly reward the staff that takes care of you.
  3. For your room steward you should tip $10/person/day and you should give him/her half the tip on embarkation and let him know that the rest will be coming at the end of the cruise as long as the service is excellent. If you are in Queens Grill accomodation a similar amount should be given to the butler.
  4. If you don't get the table you desire in the dining room an appropriate tip to the maitre d' will usually solve the problem.
  5. Tip your waiter $10/person/day and the bus boy $7.50/person/day...again half up front gets you great service for the entire cruise.

Ok, so it sounds like a lot of money. But the reality is that on the 15 day holiday cruise I will be taking in December the tips will amount to about $1200 for a cruise that will cost Helen and I about $15,000 for QG accomodations or less than 10% of the cost of the cruise. I feel that is a fair amount to pay for excellent service. Some might quibble about up front payments, however I would rather make sure the service is excellent than "hope" that the service will be excellent and complain after the fact if there are problems.

Bob, I like your style mate I really do. Up front and open, that's the way to go.

HOWEVER, just a thought, Ebay have some 2nd hand flak jackets, you might want to take a look.

A Delighted Gari

Hey Bob, That a way to go!!! I'm so proud to be an American!!!:cool:

Bob, not to nitpick, since I know you know the city, but I'm sure you meant west side. I doubt the QM2 would fit in the East River ;)

Bob, not to nitpick, since I know you know the city, but I'm sure you meant west side. I doubt the QM2 would fit in the East River ;)

good point but actually the east side would be a great place to have a cruise port with the UN and better view of the Chrysler Building and of course the 59th street, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Williamburg bridges...

i wonder if ships could fit under those bridges.

When embarking on a cruise, if one of your first orders of business is bribing the staff with "up front" payments, what you're really saying is "this isn't a quality line on which good service can't otherwise be expected."

A tip is in appreciation of good service received, not an "up front" veiled threat that a better tip will not be coming unless "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours"

If there are "rules" that must be followed about 50/50 "up front", it's not tipping, it's payolla.

As one who used to be "in service", I can tell you that waving cash around impresses nobody and doesn't buy an ounce of respect.

A staff with experience will have mastered allowing you believe you're receiving this extra special service you think you payed for but without actually bothering. There are other "guests" who deserve equal, not less attention from them just because you think you payed for extra.

Any one of them with self-respect will be happy to give excellent service without being bribed "up front".

If they aren't, see paragraph 1.

Archived