Venice Logistics Advice Needed

Croce

We are ending our first cruise in Venice on Saturday, Oct 3rd and will be staying 2 nights before returning home. There are four of us. I chose the Marriott hotel out by the airport because our flight home leaves at 6:30AM. Any advice on the following will be greatly appreciated:

1. On the day we arrive at port and disembark with all our luggage - I was planning on taking a couple of cabs to the hotel and dropping off our bags (since the rooms probably won't be ready that early) and immediately heading into the city. Does that make sense?

2. I haven't structured anything for the first day in Venice, but rather thought we would explore, ride the water taxi down the canal, etc. The second day, I have made reservations for the Clock Tower tour and Doges Secret tour. Would you recommend more pre-arranged activities?

3. On our return day we probably should arrive at the airport NLT 5:00AM -5:30AM. Has anyone had any experience with an early flight like this out of Marco Polo? I am hoping the hotel shuttle will be available. Seems I read a thread about this earlier but can't seem to find it now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your opinions.

Croce

Your plan sounds excellent. Personally, I wouldn't schedule more guided tours, as part of the joy of Venice is simply exploring and enjoying what you happen to come across. The Secret Itineraries Tour at the Doges Palace is fantastic, and well worth the time in my opinion.

I'd include in your "plan", perhaps the first day, a trip out to Murano and/or Burano. They can be accessed via the Vaporettos (I presume you're purchasing a pass), and will help you if you decide to purchase any glass sculptures while you're in Venice. Many times, the shops in Venice proper have nicer pieces and prices, but seeing what's out at Murano gives you more to go on with regard to what you like. Burano is just pretty, and worth a stop if you have time and are inclined.

Just wander generally between place to place and see what you discover, especially as you get outside the area between San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. The area around the Guggenheim is lovely and more oriented toward local residents, for example, and gives you another glimpse of Venice life.

You may need to arrive at the airport a bit earlier, but your hotel can advise.

Archived