Tell me about the lecturers on your cruises

flashdog_1

On Majesty to Bermuda the computer class guy was one of our roll call so we met him, but I just wasn't too aware of what lecturers were aboard. I simply do not remember any lecturers on Dawn to E Caribbean. What am I missing?

The lectures are part of "NCL U", which is part of Freestyle 2.0. After hearing great things about one of the computer lectures, I went to another and was pleased. I went to one lecture that was supposed to be about the history and culture of Honduras / Roatan and the speaker was absolutely terrible...reading from a manuscript with slides out of synch with the words and the sound sytem was not good. No chance for questions at all. Officially, the martini, mojito, margarita, beer clinics are also part of NCL U, and they were all very good, according to reports.

The various scheduled lectures were in the Freestyle Daily newsletter under NCL-U:

We had a wonderful speaker on our 21 day Jade cruise in the Med who had been a college philosophy professor and did lectures on ancient philosophers that synched with our Mediterranean ports. She also did lectures on ancient and modern gardens on which she is a afficiendo and has become an expert. However, on that same cruise had a speaker on digital photography who started out pretty good but as the cruise progressed became rude and sarcasatic to some folks attending his lectures. I went to a couple, but one afternoon when I witnesses the pointed sarcasm toward some audience members I walked out. I did write this up on my evaluation.

On Majesty to Bermuda the computer class guy was one of our roll call so we met him, but I just wasn't too aware of what lecturers were aboard. I simply do not remember any lecturers on Dawn to E Caribbean. What am I missing?

How about the lovely lecturer that's give on where and where not to shop. NOT!

They can can this one.

Our Dawn cruise to Bermuda over a year ago, had a lecturer that gave a couple different presentations about culture/history/beaches etc. He had been there many times and gave a great into to Bermuda for us newbies. From now on, I'll be watching for presentations on board!

Officially, the martini, mojito, margarita, beer clinics are also part of NCL U, and they were all very good, according to reports.

The various scheduled lectures were in the Freestyle Daily newsletter under NCL-U:

Are these offered on the short 3 night sailings as well?

I think the shorter the cruise there is less liklihood of having speakers.

I am so glad NCL is doing this now. Before I found NCL I really really enjoyed them on X. Sometimes they are pertinent to the particular itinerary, like in Alaska about glaciers, star gazing and the northern lights, whales, wild life, eagles, or Panama Canal about the history of its being built, or Hawaii on hula dancing or lei making, but I've read that they can be on anything on long cruises, like napkin folding! I attended one on floral arranging, standing room only~ You just never know. Check your Freestyle Daily.

Sure, how to make a martini, mojito etc. are NCL U classes!

It wasn't a class, but HAL had one on "build your own bloody mary." fun Stations were set up with all the fixings and trimmings.

Don't forget to read the port information. It's usually filled with history and interesting facts about the place you are going to spend the day. My DH thinks all the islands are the same, but they really are not! Each has its own culture and reason for existence.

I went to the first lecture on the Gem last week; the subject was interesting (geology of the med) but the speaker was flat - she was basically reading her slides to us. I meant to go to the next one anyway, but got distracted by something else and missed it. My cousin went and said it was much like the first.

I think that if you're going to be a lecturer on a cruise ship, you need to be part entertainer and part teacher. All teacher doesn't work in that environment.

I went to the first lecture on the Gem last week; the subject was interesting (geology of the med) but the speaker was flat - she was basically reading her slides to us. I meant to go to the next one anyway, but got distracted by something else and missed it. My cousin went and said it was much like the first.

I think that if you're going to be a lecturer on a cruise ship, you need to be part entertainer and part teacher. All teacher doesn't work in that environment.

I totally agree. We have been on 2 cruises with lecturers - both very knowledgeable people, neither interesting at all.

I just happened to be in the forward lounge on the Pearl last year when a guy gave a lecture on digital photography and cameras. I probably didn't learn much, but the presentation was good and some of the questions from the audience were interesting.

I also attended presentations by the captain (Lars!) and the executive chef. Both of those were great!

On our cruise to Alaska on the Pearl, we enjoyed the lectures of Marion Mitchell (assisted by his wife Polly). He was very knowledgeable about Alaska and gave an excellent presentation. They also do Panama Canal cruise lectures.

They are very approachable and welcome questions and comments. We actually had dinner with them a few times and toured Victoria together.

Good memories of a wonderful cruise.

I do not recall any lecturers on our recent Sun cruise about the itinerary. I had heard the prior sailing had Andrea who did a star gazing. Ours did not. There was a nice husband and wife team on digital photography. They were fabulous.

On our Transatlantic Cruise on the Jewel, Dr. Sidney did many lectures and he was great.

Do they have these on all ships? I don't remember anything on the Star but I would like to attend some historical ones if they are offered when we do again.

Joyce

They usually have lecturers on the Star in the theater two or three times on a 7 day trip. The Mexico trips are usually about the ancient civilizations, Mexican culture, or the earth plate mevements. Most are very interesting depending on the knowledge of the lecturer. Bill

Archived