Another Pride Review - Recommendations and Regrets

Windy56

Thanks for the review, we are heading out 8/21, can't wait. Haven't been on CCL in 15yrs, but Baltimore is an hour away, that beats goin to FL everytime. We've been on the fence about getting a Cabana, you pushed me over the edge, I'll head straight to the desk to get one as quick as possible, will probably arrive around 11am......

I agree with you, folks should take a day or 2 to spend around The Harbor, we were just down there a couple weekends ago, did the Aquarium (again) and caught Transformers 2 at the IMAX theater in the Science Center. The ships are great also and folks should remember to check out the Baltimore Convention Center events to see if anything is going on there that might interest them, it's a short walk from The Harbor. Camden Yards is right there if you can catch a game, Fells Point has a rather lively night life some may be interested in and a meal pretty much anywhere in Little Italy is worth it. Stop by Piedigrotta Bakery for some Tiramisu, it is believe to have been invented their, 1065 S. Charles St. (in Cross Street Market), Baltimore; 410-244-5543.

Excellent review... We'll be going on Pride June 6th 2010 with DD, her DH and the G-kids.

On NCL you can eat in the Dining Room for lunch when you board... They try to discourage this when you show up at the dining room, but you just say "I'd like to eat here" and you're in. That way you can avoid the mob and mess at the Buffet. Can you do this on Carnival Pride?

Food

In terms of beverages, former posters were correct about the water. It really did have an unpleasant taste. We stuck with the bottled water in the cabin and I ordered iced tea in the dining room.

still more to come...

I love to drink water, and we drank the water on the Miracle this past July. This worries me. Should I still book for next year?

What was the announcement/alarm like for the muster drill? Was it a loud, repeating alarm sound that might make young kids nervous (how I would expect a real fire alarm to sound)?

Yes, there was an alarm and it was very loud. My five year old, who is very sound sensitive (like me!), was scared. She walked quickly down the stairs with her hands over her ears. Once we got outside on deck, it was better.

Windy, thanks for the GREAT review! Loved it. I have 38 (37?) days and i'm so excited!

I love to drink water, and we drank the water on the Miracle this past July. This worries me. Should I still book for next year?

Yes!!! You can bring a good amount of bottled water on, and just carry a thermos with you and ask for ice and it should work. Other people have said that the water tastes fine, so it is all about what your taste is like.

Great review. Do you have pictures? Capers.Sorry I just ave to have more. We will be on her soon. Can not wait.:D

I have the capers from a May sailing if you'd like them. email me at jenden122@yahoo.com and I'll forward them to you.

hi Windy, Great review!

We'll be driving from Toronto, too. It's so great to not have to book a flight!

If you don't mind my asking, what would a ballpark rate for the hotel be? their website is gorgeous, but they don't give rates online.

I agree with you that the pools are much smaller than I had expected.

I loved reading all of your thoughts. It makes the wait for our trip that much more exciting!

I just called and asked my husband at work about the rates. I wasn't quite sure and he looked it up on his VISA. Each night was a few dollars under $240, tax included in this, but don't forget that nicer hotels are more expensive in the area because of its proximity to DC. Often they will quote a rate and then tell you later that parking is extra. The owners actually give you a bottle of wine, of your choice, to enjoy in the room. The area is safe, also. The first place I looked at seemed quite nice until I started reading the TripAdvisor reviews about how rough the neighbourhood was after 9:00PM.

We're actually from Oakville and we were thrilled, too, not to fly for this cruise. I'm not a big car trip person but I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. Gotta love GPS!

I hope you have a wonderful trip and cruise!

Great review. Do you have pictures? Capers.Sorry I just ave to have more. We will be on her soon. Can not wait.:D

I think we took about 700 pictures but we haven't sorted them yet. A poster below has a link to the capers for you!

Thanks for the review, we are heading out 8/21, can't wait. Haven't been on CCL in 15yrs, but Baltimore is an hour away, that beats goin to FL everytime. We've been on the fence about getting a Cabana, you pushed me over the edge, I'll head straight to the desk to get one as quick as possible, will probably arrive around 11am......

I agree with you, folks should take a day or 2 to spend around The Harbor, we were just down there a couple weekends ago, did the Aquarium (again) and caught Transformers 2 at the IMAX theater in the Science Center. The ships are great also and folks should remember to check out the Baltimore Convention Center events to see if anything is going on there that might interest them, it's a short walk from The Harbor. Camden Yards is right there if you can catch a game, Fells Point has a rather lively night life some may be interested in and a meal pretty much anywhere in Little Italy is worth it. Stop by Piedigrotta Bakery for some Tiramisu, it is believe to have been invented their, 1065 S. Charles St. (in Cross Street Market), Baltimore; 410-244-5543.

Oooooooooh, I'm sorry I missed that bakery, now. I love tiramisu! Don't forget to try it on the ship. Thye aren't cheap with the marscapone!

I'm really glad that you have decided to get a cabana. At first we thought, "No way!" We'll enjoy the beach and have a great time. Again, that's where this board comes in so handy. Marylandlady on our roll call swore by them and that made us reconsider. I know that if we hadn't got one, the heat would have been too much for us! Hey, were Canadians. Goin' south, means Niagara Falls, for us!;)

Excellent review... We'll be going on Pride June 6th 2010 with DD, her DH and the G-kids.

On NCL you can eat in the Dining Room for lunch when you board... They try to discourage this when you show up at the dining room, but you just say "I'd like to eat here" and you're in. That way you can avoid the mob and mess at the Buffet. Can you do this on Carnival Pride?

No, the main dining room isn't open for lunch when you get on the ship. In retrospect, I can't understand why I battled the crowds for lunch in the buffet, that afternoon. It would have been so much nicer to unpack and order room service and to have enjoyed it on the balcony that first afternoon.

Oh, don't let the water discourage you from booking this ship. Like the poster, below, commented. It really is personal taste. You might try it and notice nothing out of the ordinary. Our solution was to drink the bottled water in the cabin. The strange thing is that the ice was just fine.

Windy, thanks for the GREAT review! Loved it. I have 38 (37?) days and i'm so excited!

Yes!!! You can bring a good amount of bottled water on, and just carry a thermos with you and ask for ice and it should work. Other people have said that the water tastes fine, so it is all about what your taste is like.

I have the capers from a May sailing if you'd like them. email me at jenden122@yahoo.com and I'll forward them to you.

You're welcome, Blondie. You are going to love this ship!

Hi Windy! What a great review you have done!! I don't disagree with a thing! I hope to cruise with you and your DH again sometime!!!!

Thanks, Sharon! We had a great time on this ship. Feelin' kinda :( that it is all over!

Windy ....

What a great review. It makes me feel like I was on the cruise with you.

Hey .... wait a minute' date=' I WAS on the cruise with you. (And on the next one too!)[/quote']

Smart alec...;)

I enjoyed reading your review and found the tips uselful (especially the lounge chair suggestion - I would have never thought to ask). My family departs on the Pride on Aug 21st and I have been reading everything I could find since Baltimore is a new port for the Pride. The convience is sooooo nice. My grandmother lives 10 minutes form the port and I know the area pretty well. I am ready to cruise now. Thanks for sharing!!! :D

I enjoyed reading your review and found the tips uselful (especially the lounge chair suggestion - I would have never thought to ask). My family departs on the Pride on Aug 21st and I have been reading everything I could find since Baltimore is a new port for the Pride. The convience is sooooo nice. My grandmother lives 10 minutes form the port and I know the area pretty well. I am ready to cruise now. Thanks for sharing!!! :D

Glad you found some useful information. We loved having that lounge chair! Have a great cruise!

Are you sure they even have room service the first day? You'd think there'd be enough confusion and activities in the hallway with passengers boarding and luggage carts, etc.

Interesting thought! I assumed they would. I'm sure I saw trays in the hall. Anyone know?

Thank you for the review. We live 20 minutes from the port and have been discussing whether we should consider it or not.

Oooooooh, I'm sure you could pick up some good deals, now. Carnival was new for us and I would book again, given my overall positive experience.

We were on the Pride July 3. I agree with your review on everything. We went to Port Canvareal instead of HMC. I did not know what a cabana was until someone put up pictures. (We are not beach people.) I was wondering about the buffet that comes with it. Does Carnival make the food?

Windy56 - would you say that for the most part it was HOT :) during the cruise? I'm still trying to figure out why Canada is so COLD in the summer :rolleyes:. Very nice review.

Ok...ok...I know yer yankin' my chain! The fact is that we are hot weather wusies up here in the Great White! We have had such lousy spring/summers in the last few years that when the sun comes out, we shield our eyes and run for our coffins!:eek:

Archived