Another Pride Review - Recommendations and Regrets

Windy56

Introduction

This was my first Carnival cruise. I have been on 8 cruises and my husband has been on 3. I have cruised Princess, Celebrity and RCCL and I have to say Carnival delivers a lot of bang for your buck. Our cruise departed July 10th and included Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau, with three days at sea. I was going to post a review in the review section but I thought I would go this route because it tends to be more interactive. I have received so much good information and advice on this board that I thought it was time for me to give a bit back. I will try to give a summary of the areas that were relevant to us on the cruise, followed by recommendations ( tips I think might be helpful to some people) and my own regrets (what I'd do if I could do it over). Please remember that these are just my observations and opinions, reflecting my tastes and what I see as important or enjoyable in a cruise. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them, if I can.

Pre-Cruise Stay

We drove from Toronto to Baltimore and it was a fun car trip. Stopped plenty of times, once for a rest stop snooze, and got to Baltimore in about 11 hours. We had booked a room at Henderson's Wharf Inn, a renovated tobacco warehouse from the 1800's and it was gorgeous. Our room overlooked the water and it was only a few picturesque blocks to the water taxi. They served the best continental breakfast I have ever enjoyed in a hotel and you could enjoy it in this really quaint courtyard. Also, the bed was heavenly...enough said! The rate included parking in a fenced in lot. Very close to the Fells Point shops and restaurants. Stay there and you will understand why it the top rated property in Baltimore according to TripAdvisor.

Recommendations: If you have time, make sure that you allocate a morning, when it's not too busy, for the National Aquarium. I pictured tanks and tanks of fish...not so! It is so well done. The design of the place holds and keeps your attention for hours. A tour of the Constellation was also pretty cool, too, although I think it appeals more to adults than kids. Also hit M&S, the more casual version of McCormicks and Schmicks, a great seafood restaurant. It is located at one of the busier water taxi stops. Fantastic food and atmosphere.

Regrets: I'm sorry that we didn't plan more time to include a visit to the fort or more shopping downtown and around the inner harbor. Although, my wallet later thanked me! My credit card was pretty grateful, too!

To come: Embarkation and Cabin

Embarkation

We ignored Carnival's directive to arrive by 2:00 and instead arrived by 11:30. We had no wait and we were immediately directed to a parking spot. It took about 15 minutes to process our documents and get us seated in the waiting area. We ended up being in Zone 4. VIP is always Zone 1. They boarded a pretty big wedding party before anyone, as well as about a hundred travel agents. We were on board by 1:30. The time passed quickly. If you have small kids, you might want to have something for them to amuse themselves with. The waiting area is just rows and rows of chairs, pretty close to each other.

I went immediately to the Excursion Desk and waited in line to book a cabana for HMC. This is a must if you want one. I got the second last one. More about cabanas, later! My husband checked out the table number in the dining room and found out it wasn't a table for two and so he got in line to talk with the restaurant manager. This is important to do as soon as possible in order to confirm the dining time and table you originally reserved. The longer you wait, the longer the line and shorter the list of options you have available. It's a pain but it's worth it.

Next was the Muster Drill. They took it pretty seriously on this ship and I am glad they did. I've been on ships where it was a joke, the passengers laughing and talking over the crew and pretty much a waste of time. Whoever was on the PA system, would not continue until it was really quiet and passengers were in a state to listen. I liked that. It made me think that they valued my time and safety as much as I do!

Recommendations: Whatever bag you take on board with you, make sure that it is really light and not cumbersome, because you will be carting it around with you until you gain access to you cabin,

Regrets: We shouldn't have done the buffet lunch while the ship was in port. It was incredibly crowded and by the time you got your food and a table together, the food was cold. it was just really hectic. We should have held off and ordered room service when we got into our room around 3:00 and enjoyed it on the balcony. Carnival does really good room service sandwiches.

More to come!

Cabin

We had an aft cabin for the first time and I loved it. We did our research and made sure that there were no public rooms or pool areas above or below us. I have read about nightmare noise issues. We were in 5297 and later found out that the laundry room was down the hall from us, a few doors. It wasn't a problem at all, in terms of traffic or noise. The room, once you closed the door, was very, very quiet.

The cabin was really spacious. It had lots of storage and a full size couch which was a great addition. There was lots of storage but the closets could have been a few inches wider to accomodate suits. I loved the washroom. The shower was more than adequate and wonder of wonders, the shower curtain did not stick to me.

The back of the ship is really quiet and dark at night. Unlike some ships, there is an outdoor light if you want to read at night. We spent the last night looking at the stars and believe me the night sky is a helluva lot bigger and brighter on the seas than on land. The wake sound is really soothing and watching it during the day or night is strangely hypnotic. I thought we would see more people out on their balconies but we didn't, lending itself to a more private feeling.

We had the best cabin steward ever. A big shout out to Juan, who had the most pleasant disposition. He freshened the room three times a day and had a keen eye for detail. He was everything a steward should be and more. Carnival does the towel animal thing and it was darn cute, I must say.

Recommendations: If you have a balcony cabin, ask your steward for a lounge chair. They come equipped with two chairs and a small table but can accomodate a lounge chair. It is really relaxing to nap out on the balcony.

Regrets: We should have booked a balcony cabin on the lowest deck. They are completely covered and provide shade. It gets really hot on those baclonies by mid afternoon and evening. When the sun starts to set, it's not so bad but it can be blazingly hot during the day. Also, the bed was really hard. If you like a softer mattress, ask the steward for a egg carton topper. We have done this before and didn't this time. By mid week we looked like stand ins for the Hunch Back of Notre Dame!

Food

This is the aspect of this cruise that really surprised me. I enjoyed the best food on this ship! I have really noticed cutbacks on other lines in the last few years. I saw no evidence of this on the Pride. We had second seating for the first time and would not go back to first seating. It just seemed so much more relaxed and we could squeeze in a nap in the late afternoon before dinner.

The decor of the dining room was really understated compared to the rest of the ship. Excellent design features included kitchen access for the wait staff from the perimeter of the dining room. This prevented waiter congestion between the tables. Our waiter was Ivan from Bulgaria and he was on his last cruise, going home the day that we were. His service remained professional and attentive up to the very last meal, despite the fact that he was leaving. He was hysterical with a very dry wit and very playful. He kept bringing extra appetizers and main courses for us to try. (Thanks Ivan. Thanks a lot. I'm stuck in the house wearing my nightie, the only garment that fits me anymore!;))

The quality, variety and presentation of food was the best that I have experienced in a long time on a ship. The soups were excellent. The pasta was cooked just right, with rich sauces. The fish was superb, especially the salmon. Please try the baby back ribs the first night, if you like "fall off the bone" tenderness. I loved the desserts and a special nod goes to the creme brulee and the tira misu. There were so many good choices. The chocolate melting cake was sinfully good. The side dishes of vegetables were really delicious. They were served in little ramekins. Potato au gratin and this tasty carrot dish comes to mind.

In terms of beverages, former posters were correct about the water. It really did have an unpleasant taste. We stuck with the bottled water in the cabin and I ordered iced tea in the dining room. I tried ordering wine one evening but service was so slow, I gave up on the following evenings. Coffee was not great, including the cappuccino. Stangely enough, coffee ordered from room service was very good.

I'm not much of a buffet person but the one day I did try it for lunch, they offered a Mexican selection of foods and they were really good. Don't forget to hit the lounge area for high tea on the sea days. It was lovely, although I couldn't for the life me find any scones.

Recommendations: Eating in the main dining room is a lengthy affair, whether you are seated with one person or at a larger table. It can run between an hour and a half to two hours. If you want a quicker meal, get there as early as you can and mention to your waiter that you would like to leave by a certain time.

Regrets; I never did try the pizza on the lido deck. SIGH. So much food...so little time!:D

still more to come...

Can't wait to hear more! I live in Toronto as well and have been thinking about the Pride since we could drive there.

The drive wasn't bad at all. We did some country roads and the scenery was lovely. Baltimore is a nice sized city to do in a couple of days. Some areas are a bit rough, so check that out with the hotel concierge wherever you stay. We took another route back so that we could shop in Grove City in Pennsylvania. We took a detour to the site of the Flight 93 crash on September 11. They have a temporary memorial set up and we both found it very moving.

If you decide to go on the Pride, have a great cruise. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy yourselves!

We also liked the Pride.....And, would not hesitate to go on her again.

The Pizza is not to be missed. With a caesar salad, it's very, very good!!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

You're welcome! I have more to come, still. I'm kinda wordy!

Now this pizza talk is driving me crazy! Regrets, I've had a few...but not too few...well you get the point!

writing a GREAT Review, keep it coming!!!!! Was on the Pride first week of June.....am going back on her in August 2010...but first doing the Dream next May 2010......love your writing style....

Thanks, Handsome. ( No, not you...I'm talking to my husband!:o) Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to cruise Carnival again. I would imagine that they ironed out some of the bugs they were experiencing from the spring cruises out of Baltimore.

Wow, I'm envious...two cruises coming up. Have a great time!

Great review so far. I would advise you not to have any regrets. If you did not get to do/see something, maybe there is always another time you can. As long as you had a wonderful time, that is the most important. Glad you had a good time, looking forward to the rest of your review.

I am going to try and enjoy my cruise next month. I am still not sold on Alaska, but I also have never heard anyone saying they did not like it.

Windy.........nice review so far...glad i am not the only one who thought the water was gross.

Interesting about muster....one thing i mentioned to the hotel director in my meeting with him was that is was NOT taken seriously and was rather disorganized....so i am glad that they have seemingly corrected this issue....we weren't even sure when it was supposed to start...everything in print, and the crew said 5 Pm when in actuality it was about 5:20.....and i never heard announcements about it.:confused:

sounds like you had fun..........can't wait for more!

Sheesh...11 hours all in one day??? Even I would be tired and I love to drive!

Great review so far. I would advise you not to have any regrets. If you did not get to do/see something, maybe there is always another time you can. As long as you had a wonderful time, that is the most important. Glad you had a good time, looking forward to the rest of your review.

I am going to try and enjoy my cruise next month. I am still not sold on Alaska, but I also have never heard anyone saying they did not like it.

Alaska is gorgeous! Just pack layerable stuff....seems they have been having decent weather, and warm too. We went in what was the rainiest season ever a few years ago....but we still had fun-in our parkas!;) Enjoy!

Archived