Venice - away from main Island

bee-ess

Have been to Venice before and thinking about getting out to a couple of the other islands for our day - have to be back to ship at 14:30.

Thought about doing Murano and Burano - is this doable in the time and on Vaporetti. Is Burano worth visiting - have seen the pictures of the coloured houses and know it is famous for lace. We are only really intersted in walking round for a quick look - no museums etc.

Is there any site on line I can use for a Vaporetti route planner/timetable - any hep on which Vaporetti or route would help

Thanks

Hi Bee-ess,

I'm presuming you are in Venice from early morning and have 5-6 hours to explore, given that you have to be back on board at 2.30pm. If so, you can most certainly see both Murano and Burano in that time. Murano is only 10 minutes vaporetto from San Marco ( St Marks Sq) and Burano is only 20 minutes beyond that, from Murano. Lido di Venezia is similarly only 15 minutes from San Marco and that's where the beach is located.....just a ten minute walk after alighting the vaporetto. That's the beach in the film Death In Venice, starring Dirk Bogarde) and Lido di Venezia hosts the Venice Film Festival each year; it's beautiful. I fully agree with abOsi, San Michelle ( Venice's cemetry) is also well worth a visit. There's a real air of tranquility, dignity and respect in that beatiful little island cemetry. Stravinsky, Diaghilev and the American poet Ezra Pound are all buried there. San Michelle is on your way back to San Marco and you could easily see all three in six hours. You could actually see all four, if you wanted to include Lido di Venezia. If so, buy a one day vaporetto pass, appx 18 euros.....and go Lido....Murano....Burano and time permitting, San Michelle on your return to San Marco. Plan on spending no more than an hour max on each, though all are very small. Enjoy! :)

Note: If the prospect of doing all four seems a bit daunting I would choose Lido....Murano and San Michelle. You will very easily do all three in your timeframe. Burano is more of a photo opportunity with the colourful facades of the houses ( so painted for fishermen in days of old to be able to distinguish their houses while offshore), but beyond the immediate docking there is not really enough to sustain spending time there and sad to say, much of the lace being sold to tourists is not from Burano but Taiwan and such-like.

Archived