Early flight from Copenhagen

After our cruise next May, we plan to stay at the Square Hotel near Tivoli. Our concern is ...we will have a 7:50AM flight out of Copenhagen.

Question???? Has any one had any experience getting a cab at 5AM to get to the airport? Any idea of the cost? I can't believe there would be any other way to get transaport at that hour. I don't know when the trains start running.

Trains run all night from Central station to the airport. From 4:33, where the first "regular" train runs, they run every 10 or 20 minutes (depending on the time of the day) at night there is only 1 train per hour, so there is no problem taking the train. The station itself doesn't open until 4:30 on weekdays and 5:30 om Sundays, so if your departure is earlier, you have to access the platforms from the Tietgensgade Bridge, which is the bridge behind the station. The Metro also runs all night, but is of less interest to you given the location of your hotel. Ticket counters don't open until 5:45, so if you go very early, buy 10 clip cards before your trip, or have plenty of coins and use the ticket kiosks on the platform. The fare is 3 zones, DKK 31,50 with ordinary tickets.

Thanks for the info. We have changed hotels. We will be staying at the Marriott. We got it on Priceline for $101/night (total of 133 with taxes and insurance) How close is the Marriott to the train station? Would probably need to get a train around 5AM. Probably, we will need to get a taxi.

Thanks for the info. We have changed hotels. We will be staying at the Marriott. We got it on Priceline for $101/night (total of 133 with taxes and insurance) How close is the Marriott to the train station? Would probably need to get a train around 5AM. Probably, we will need to get a taxi.

It is a little distance from the train station I would just opt for the taxi.

Definitely go for the taxi. We just returned from Copenhagen ourselves. The taxi ride is not that far, so the price is reasonable. And who wants to be dealing with trains and luggage and all that so early in the morning?

Do the cab. You'll be glad you did.

For a 7:50 departure, you could take the 5.33 train departure from Central Station that arrives at the airport at 5:45. At that time of the day, there are trains from Central station to the airport every 10 minutes on weekdays. The distance from the Marriot to the train station is half a mile (0.8 km), and according to Rejseplanen.dk, it takes 10 minutes to walk that distance, but at a pace without luggage! If you access the platforms from the Tietgensbroen bridge, you will save some distance, but you will not get past the ticket counters, so you will need the fare in coins or a 10 trip card. But with a lot of baggage, I would take a taxi, at that time of the day, it will be quick, 15 minutes to the airport is my guess. I guess the taxi fare would be around DKK 150.

We did this a few weeks ago. The Marriott had cabs waiting at 5am. The trains would have been an option, but it is a bit of a walk, especially with luggage. We were tired enough from staying out late at Tivoli and getting up so early. I think the fare is slightly higher for off-hours. It was close to 160 DKK, but I rounded it up to 200 DKK to include tip for luggage and I used my credit card to pay. It came out at $56 on my bill. We had a 7:30am flight. At 5:30am, the airport was quite crowded and the security line was long. It was also a bit of a walk to the gate. We made it, but definitely allow 2 hours.

Disneydavid....

There will be 4 of us with LOTS OF LUGGAGE....will we be able to get in 1 taxi or do you think we will need 2?

One of the flights we may have to take leaves at 6:35AM. I guess we would have to leave the hotel around 4AM. Hopefully we will be able to get the 7:50AM flight but I won't know until we can book the return back to London in September as part of our "round trip". That won't be until the middle of October.

Were you pleased with the Marriott? Was everything pretty much walkable?

There were 4 of us with 4 bags and carry-ons. The taxi was a station wagon and fit us all. They had a number of taxis lined up at the Marriott, so if one doesn't fit, they can find another one. Also, when I asked the bellhop the night before if there would be cabs at 5am, he said if not, they can call and have one within 5 minutes. When we came in from the cruise, we took the train to town (had the Copenhagen card, so transportation was included), but after making the walk, with luggage, from the train station we decided to taxi to the airport, even though the train would have been free (our Copenhagen card was still good). The train station and Tivoli is several blocks (about 15 minute walk) which is okay if you are not carrying luggage. It was easier to walk everywhere in town than to find a bus. However, after a long day of walking and Tivoli, we did hop a bus from the train station (across from Tivoli) and went about 2 stops to a corner nearest the Marriott. The Marriott was very nice. My only complaint was that it cost to use the internet (I think about $15 for one hour or $25 for the day). The front desk was very friendly. We checked in before our room was ready and left our luggage with the bellhops. When we came back later and got our room, the bags were already in it, as well as the requested rollaway bed. We also got the Priceline rate. If you haven't already, call the Marriott 1-800 number and tell them you want 2 beds in the room.

The double rooms have two Queen-size beds.

Thanks

I just wondered why it was suggested to ask for 2 beds.

a queen would be fine for us

we stayed at the SAS Radisson last time & we had a double which was also fine

Lyn

I suggested 2 beds because TB is a group of 4 people. Otherwise, you will be sleeping 4 people in one king size bed. We had our 2 kids, boy and girl, who won't sleep in the same bed and were able to get a rollaway for no extra charge. Finding rooms in Europe that hold more than 2 people is very difficult. Priceline assumes rooms for 2, but since this is an American hotel, it can hold 4. This is not always true, as many of the American hotel chains we checked in London only held 2 per room.

I suggested 2 beds because TB is a group of 4 people. Otherwise, you will be sleeping 4 people in one king size bed.

thanks for the explanation David.

Did not realize TB had 4 people in the same room.

Glad to hear they have king size beds;)

Lyn

Archived