Suites with separate bedroom (other than NCL)

European_CruiseGirl

Hi all! I've been trying to locate suites that have a separate bedroom and livingroom but with no success. I know that NCL has a Penthouse suite (cat AB) and Courtyard suites (cat A4 and A3) that have a completely separate bedroom but I haven't been able to find any other. I'm not looking for a category that would be "the best of the best offered" as they just cost too much. :p

We will be cruising with our DD (now 13 months) and would like to have some privacy during evenings when she would be already sleeping so that we could talk and perhaps have a drink in the livingroom without waking her up. It's ok for her to sleep in our bedroom but we'd need something more than a curtain that would separate the bedroom and livingroom.

The ones I know about ...

Celebrity Suite, Royal Suite & Penthouse Suite - Celebrity Millennium class

Royal Suite - any of the Royal Caribbean ships

Penthouse Suite - HAL Vista class

We are doing a mini-suite on NCL. The only issue is that we have to walk past where the crib will be to get to the balcony. There is a curtain that we can draw, plus we will bring a portable white noise machine, so I am hoping she will stay asleep.

No need to feel dumb. :D

So then I guess I just opened up your cabin choices? Glad I could help. ;)

So you did. :) Now we can cruise from NYC to the Caribbean which is what we really would like to do (direct flight from our hometown in Europe....although of course the cruise down to FL (and vv) is quite windy so no sitting at the balcony then but that is not a problem).

We basically now have two choices which we would like the best - RCCL (Explorer of the Seas) or Princess (Caribbean Princess). Which one would you suggest or are they equally good for a family cruise? We'd appreciate anytime dining (no fixed table assignment or time), not a party scene and a child friendly environment (no need for the childrens club though as our child is under the age of two and anyhow her first languages (she will have three of them) won't include english. :)

We are doing a mini-suite on NCL. The only issue is that we have to walk past where the crib will be to get to the balcony. There is a curtain that we can draw, plus we will bring a portable white noise machine, so I am hoping she will stay asleep.

A portable white noise machine! What a wonderful idea!!! Going to google... :D

A portable white noise machine! What a wonderful idea!!! Going to google... :D

The best advice my MIL ever gave me - get a white noise machine . . . lol!! My husband is a horrible snorer and it has saved me numerous times.

So you did. :) Now we can cruise from NYC to the Caribbean which is what we really would like to do (direct flight from our hometown in Europe....although of course the cruise down to FL (and vv) is quite windy so no sitting at the balcony then but that is not a problem).

We basically now have two choices which we would like the best - RCCL (Explorer of the Seas) or Princess (Caribbean Princess). Which one would you suggest or are they equally good for a family cruise? We'd appreciate anytime dining (no fixed table assignment or time), not a party scene and a child friendly environment (no need for the childrens club though as our child is under the age of two and anyhow her first languages (she will have three of them) won't include english. :)

I have sat on the balcony out of all kinds of itineraries (including Canadian) and it is never really that windy when you are seated. Just bring a sweater or something to keep you warm in the chill.

As far as ship. I am partial to Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas (cause that's my next cruise ;) ). I think Royal Caribbean is great for families.

And they have in cabin sitting - so you could go out for the night while the baby is sleeping and the sitter would stay there for you.

I don't know what your cabin layout will be like, but the crib moves, right? My husband and I stayed in a hotel room when our daughter was a baby, and we wanted some privacy. There was no balcony, so we put the crib in the little hallway between the door and the room proper. We had to sneak by it to get to the bathroom, but other than that, she had a nice, dark 'room' of her own and we had complete freedom and privacy in the main area. Depending on your cabin layout, you could easily do the same. It would all depend on whether you could get past it into your bathroom. I know that on the last three ships I've been on, I could have fit a crib/pack n play between the cabin door and the bathroom door, and once you're there and have put the baby down for the night, you aren't going to be leaving the cabin, right? It's just a thought. :)

Celebrity Mercury has some inside and Sunset Verandah cabins that have a sliding wall that closes off the bed/bath area from the counch/balcony area. Downside: the bed is surrounded on three sides by non-moving walls, so you get to climb over your spouse if you need to get up to go to the bathroom at night. If you google "Sunset Verandah" and "Celebrity" you can see pictures, I'm sure I'm not describing it as well as I could. If I remember right, the inside ones are a Category 10? There are only a couple of them, but the upside is they cost the same as a regular Category 10. We're trying out the Sunset Verandah in April of next year, hoping we like it!

On the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess, the minisuites are laid out like the suites on the other Princess ships. So, you get quite a bit more space and if I remember right, you can access the balcony from the bed area instead of just through the living room area. Plus the bathrooms are AWESOME.

Also on NCL: check out the aft category AC suites on Norwegian Sun. They have a door to separate the bedroom from the living room, and balcony access from both living and dining room. The suite perks on NCL are AMAZING, and sometimes you can actually find great deals, especially on the older ships like the Sun. I think it's the same layout on Norwegian Sky (which only does the 3-4 night sailings to the Bahamas now), but I'm not positive.

Archived