Balcony safe for toddler?

Sherette7769

Our next cruise will be with NCL Pride of America in Hawaii. Never having cruised with NCL, I would like to know how safe the balcony rooms are for toddlers? Is there plexiglass that covers all of the railing, or only part? My son is quite the adventurous one, and even though I'd watch him like a hawk - I would rather avoid the extra worry if possible by booking a non-balcony room.

Based on your post, I wouldn't risk it. If he were to get out on the balcony and climb up on the chair...

If you do decide to go with a balcony you MUST check the lock on the sliding door; we have been in cabins where it did not work.:(

Go with an ocean view or inside. Will a balcony really be worth the extra worry? I don't have to tell you what could happen should he climbs on a chair or slips through the railings...

I don't believe it would be possible to slip through the railing. A toddler climbing on a chair and falling over the railing would be difficult enough.

I personally, for piece of mind, would book an oceanview over a balcony if I was traveling with a toddler.

PE

When my nephew was a toddler he managed to get out of his crib, get a chair, unlock the front door, steal the next door neighbor's trike, and disappear. The police found him on the railroad track. We were terrified that he had fallen into the creek behind their home.:eek: He's 43 now.

So much for trusting my brother to keep an eye on him while mom was away.:rolleyes: He fell asleep.

Take a couple of extra precautions and enjoy your balcony:

1) NEVER allow your child on the balcony unless unaccompanied by you

2) That said: At Home Depot, buy a $20 alarm that shrieks loudly if the sliding door is opened. Consists of 2 adhesive-backed pieces, one for the door, one for the frame, mounted within 1/2 inch of each other, high above the child's reach. One piece has the battery-powered alarm, with a manual cut-off switch.The other has a magnet that keeps the alarm from sounding unless the 2 parts become separated. Test them out of course, but they are quite reliable and failsafe.

The danger would come if the child either drags a chair or table to the railing, nuff said, OR wedges his foot between the plexiglass and the partition to the adjoining balcony and manages to start climbing. That's why he MUST be accompanied, and not left alone to play, which I'm sure you wouldn't do anyway.

We cruised with our kids when they were young (2). We did a balcony and we were just ready. I had a climber too and we made sure the rules were known (they are 6 and 8 now and still will not go onto the balcony alone YEAH!!!) and we had the alarm too. I think you should be fine, but you know your child the best. Have fun whatever you chose!!!!!

... I had a climber too and we made sure the rules were known ...

Toddlers are know for ignoring rules. The alarm is a good idea.

They can not fall or slip and go overboard. They can, with some effort climb on a chair and get over the rail.

With that said, all the incidents I have seen posted here the past few years were able bodied adults that "fell overboard". Hopefully this DOES NOT start a long discussion on that, as my point is I have never heard of a child going over. I am sure it has happened sometime, somewhere, but I have not heard of it.

Personally I would not trust an alarm or depend on it. It's a man made product that can fail. That said, why risk it? You will not enjoy yourself if you are constantly worried about what Jr. is going to do. I remember staying in a motel at the beach once that had a swimming pool right outside our door. We were staying with relatives...the room choice was not ours. Anyway..my son was 3 at the time and very active. Needless to say, I had a miserable time keeping constant vigilance of watching him day and night. I would never do that again. I would feel the same way about a balcony.

We sail at least once per year with our children. They are now 10 and 13. However, we started sailing with them when they preschoolers. At that time, we always booked oceanview cabins. Could we have booked balconies? Probably, but I simply would have been too uncomfortable. The balconies railings are fairly tall, but for us it was not a chance that we were willing to take. When they were a bit older, we started booking adjoining balconies or suites. This strategy worked well for us, but the most important thing is what you will be comfortable with.

Take a couple of extra precautions and enjoy your balcony:

1) NEVER allow your child on the balcony unless unaccompanied by you

2) That said: At Home Depot, buy a $20 alarm that shrieks loudly if the sliding door is opened. Consists of 2 adhesive-backed pieces, one for the door, one for the frame, mounted within 1/2 inch of each other, high above the child's reach. One piece has the battery-powered alarm, with a manual cut-off switch.The other has a magnet that keeps the alarm from sounding unless the 2 parts become separated. Test them out of course, but they are quite reliable and failsafe.

The danger would come if the child either drags a chair or table to the railing, nuff said, OR wedges his foot between the plexiglass and the partition to the adjoining balcony and manages to start climbing. That's why he MUST be accompanied, and not left alone to play, which I'm sure you wouldn't do anyway.

If they get the alarm, one more step is to pray they don't book the balcony next to ours. ha!! No ideas please.....

Just book an OV

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise where we'd booked a balcony room. Our son is nearly two years old. I was nervous about the idea of a balcony, but for some reason the thought of danger didn't occur to me until we were already on the cruise. Luckily, the balcony door had a lock about five feet off the ground (this was Carnival), so we were safe with that. Of course, I never let him onto the balcony alone and yes, the thought of him pulling up a chair and hoisting himself over the rail did occur. But luckily, he's not a big climber yet. For our next cruise, I might very well consider an oceanview room just for peace of mind, since he will be nearly 3 at that time.

We just returned from a cruise where we'd booked a balcony room. Our son is nearly two years old. I was nervous about the idea of a balcony, but for some reason the thought of danger didn't occur to me until we were already on the cruise. Luckily, the balcony door had a lock about five feet off the ground (this was Carnival), so we were safe with that. Of course, I never let him onto the balcony alone and yes, the thought of him pulling up a chair and hoisting himself over the rail did occur. But luckily, he's not a big climber yet. For our next cruise, I might very well consider an oceanview room just for peace of mind, since he will be nearly 3 at that time.

I agree...peace of mind is far better than having a balcony.....he is only going to be a baby for a very short period of his life.....then when he gets older you will be free to enjoy it without worrying.

The Pride Of America's balcony rails are different then other ships. There is no solid piece of glass but they are rails. USA - Hawaii

I definately would not take a toddler on a balcony cabin on that ship. I could never enjoy the cruise for fear he would somehow slip between rails or that a rail ould break. I couldn't even dare to sit out there and read with a toddler there.

I really had no concern with my (almost) 17 month old on the Spirit. In fact I kep the balcony door open and she was pretty much free to come and go from outside to inside. Of course I kept an eye on her at all times but unless she posititioned the chair and climbed up (in which case she would still have a hard time finding a way to fall over), there really is no safety issue. But it is all about what you are comfortable with with your particular child.

We've sailed with our 3-year-old daughter twice since she turned 2, both times with a balcony (and we're doing it again next month). Set the rules very sternly and keep the door locked when you're not out there. Your toddler will be fine.

We've sailed with our 3-year-old daughter twice since she turned 2, both times with a balcony (and we're doing it again next month). Set the rules very sternly and keep the door locked when you're not out there. Your toddler will be fine.

I have to agree with this post. Originally thought that you should just book an Oceanview but if you set the rules straight and are stern about them... then there should be no problem. Then again, I am not a parent and only have a dog... Maybe you should just get the oceanview if you have reservations.

I wouldn't do it. I googled "toddler balcony" and saw some very sad things.

I was thinking you could call NCL and ask their customer service person if they had any recommendations or solutions.....I used to sail with a toddler but not without a tether and life jacket whenever she was topside. And that was with me being close to the waterline.

I can't imagine a fall from a balcony. Good luck with your decision.....

Archived