gluten free cruise travelers

seagopher

I would like to hear from anyone who has had either positive or negative experiences with their gluten free dietary needs on the Celebrity cruise ships. I wonder if they now have gluten free pasta, pizza, or bread. I will on the Equinox next March, I know about contacting special services, have done this in the past, but for gluen free pasta, or pizza it does not work. When so many enjoy pizza and pasta you would also like to enjoy some gluten free items.

My sister in law and kids are gluten free..they were with us last week on Millie. AFter the first dinner in the main dining room, they were wonderful in working with her on gluten free meal options. I think the buffet may have had gluten free pasta, can't guarantee it...but I know they for sure had gluten free bread for her.

Twice we've had table mates with celiac. Let the wait staff, particularly the maitre de, know you need gluten free meals. They will take care of you. They do have gluten free bread. On last cruise with a celiac, the maitre de would bring the next evenings menu and have the afflicted guest choose an entree. The next evening the guest would get his entree with gluten free side dishes...vegetables, etc. His desert was usually a surprise.

We sail regularly with a friend who must eat a gluten-free diet. Celebrity has been wonderful in working with him. The maitre 'd came to our table each evening to review the next day's dining opportunities and he was delighted with his meals throughout the cruise. He just cruised on Infinity (without us :() so let me ask him how that cruise was and if they served gluten-free pasta.

My daughter also has a food allergy (dairy) and we have found that Celebrity has been the best at attending to her dietary needs overall.

• 1 month later...

I recently sailed with Azamara (which is a sister line to Celebrity). Most of our wait staff had recently come from Celebrity. I had the same experience as most of the other posts - the head waiter would have me preselect my meal for the next day, and I was never disappointed in my meals. In fact sometimes, my tables mates preferred my own gf "surprise" dessert over their own!! :D

I agree with your comment - my feedback to Azamara was that it was a great start, but there is so much more that they could do. Gluten free pizza and pasta are so common now, that you would think it would be easy for them to include. They could also add rice crackers or rice cakes easily to a buffet given how common these have become.

But... given the quality of their gf bread (which was mediocre - it was made with rice flour so crumbled very badly) I don't think they're ready yet to expand their selection. I was also extremely concerned about cross contamination - so I don't think that their staff has been trained well enough on food allergies.

From what I've heard, Celebrity is the best at dealing with special needs, but hopefully they listen to feedback and offer guests with special dietary requirements the same kind of experience that other guests have with their cruise.

Archived