No AT&T phone service on baord Silversea?

chicagogal

Someone just posted on another thread related to internet charges that there is no Silversea contract with AT&T and AT&T phones or blackberries won't work on board Silversea. Please tell me this is not true? Has anyone used theirs on Silversea? Mine has worked on Windstar, Oceania, Viking River Cruise etc all over the world. (Russia, China etc.)

It is true! A friend of ours who is on the Spirit T/A with us checked with SS, because he wanted to be sure. He needs to be in contact worldwide for business purposes and he has to get a new Blackberry that uses Verizon in order to be able to stay in contact. Don't remember which one uses AT&T and which uses Verizon, but I think the Pearl is AT&T and the Storm is Verizon. Doesn't bother me, because I cut ties when we're on cruise. If we have a problem we'll use the ship-shore phone. It was nice on Regent, because we were platinum and had 4 hours of free ship's phone time.

I just used an ATT phone on the Shadow in June. Did not turn on the Blackberry at sea but the phone did work. The service was not very good in Alaska until we came back farther south on the last two sea days. Phone connected to Cellular at Sea, the rate was 2.49 per minute. In port normal rates apply. Silversea is listed on ATT Wireless website along with the countries for international roaming for phone service, not sure about Blackberry services.

You guys are great!

One other question along the same lines, did anyone purchase any sort of international plan? I have an i-phone, and a quick look at the package charges for regular phone use did not seem to offer any significant savings. It does look like data is super expensive, so I will just check email on the laptop.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Silversea does NOT have a contract with AT&T! If you're in a normal service area like Alaska of course your AT&T phone will work. However, if you're open ocean where you have to rely on the ship's antenna to connect to the satellite signal you won't get service. If you have a Verizon phone and, I'm sure, other service providers internationally you will have service. You can call SS and confirm that if you like; our friend already has.

I used the phone not only in normal service areas but on the last two sea days on the way back to SF. I believe Silversea's contract is with Seamobile and Cellular at Sea is joint venture with ATT. It was the third cruise that I have used my ATT phone at sea, not just in port. Check the Cellular at Sea website, there is a link there to the ATT roaming charges for Silversea.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Silversea does NOT have a contract with AT&T! If you're in a normal service area like Alaska of course your AT&T phone will work. However, if you're open ocean where you have to rely on the ship's antenna to connect to the satellite signal you won't get service. If you have a Verizon phone and, I'm sure, other service providers internationally you will have service. You can call SS and confirm that if you like; our friend already has.

I believe they have a contract with Seamobile, so you would be paying roaming charges through ATT and another fee to the satellite service (usually about $4.99 per minute)

We only shoot the messenger when he feeds us misinformation.

I signed up for International Roaming 5.99 Mth--- I Phone --can cancel if no Overseas trips for a # of months

for Example Calls in Greece On Land were $1.19 Minute

Calls from ship were 3.99 minute Don't think the AT&T roaming helped with these charges

Did Data on SS PC's did not use my I-Phone for Data

Just got the bill today

I'm going to have to apologize to you all. Our friend just got a call back from SS and they do now have AT&T service at sea. The person that he originally talked to at SS gave him bumb dope. Apparently, this service just became available recently. Don't have any idea what the charges are with or without the international plan. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

I signed up for International Roaming 5.99 Mth--- I Phone --can cancel if no Overseas trips for a # of months

Hmm, if you use tmobile there is no international monthly roaming fee. You just have them place the roaming on your phone and pay by the minute when you use it.

Thanks for the information dougburns.

I used the phone not only in normal service areas but on the last two sea days on the way back to SF. I believe Silversea's contract is with Seamobile and Cellular at Sea is joint venture with ATT. It was the third cruise that I have used my ATT phone at sea, not just in port. Check the Cellular at Sea website, there is a link there to the ATT roaming charges for Silversea.

This is what I was hoping for - and expecting. Thanks!

Since we are frequently out of the country, we have an International Plan with AT&T that costs a few dollars a month, every month. The fees are lower than those you would otherwise pay.

This is what I have, too. And you can even add and drop, as needed, just before and after each trip. Same for AT&T blackberry data plan

I'm going to have to apologize to you all. Our friend just got a call back from SS and they do now have AT&T service at sea. The person that he originally talked to at SS gave him bumb dope. Apparently, this service just became available recently. Don't have any idea what the charges are with or without the international plan. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Thanks for the updated info. Honest mistake!

Archived