New River Cruiser

dwkucera

My wife and I are considering our first river cruise in Europe. We have been on 14 conventional cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but know nothing about river cruises. Because our vacation schedule is already full for this year and next, we are planning on doing the river cruise sometime in 2011. Of course, that gives me plenty of time to read these boards to gather information. One thing I do need help with is trying to get a handle on the charisteristics of the different river cruise companies and their product. i.e. I know how most of the large cruise ship lines compare - Carnival vs Royal Carribean vs Celebrity vs Crystal etc. Could someone give me a quick run down on how each line compares? Also, what is the best time to cruise? I understand that low or high water can sometimes be a problem.

Dave

Hi Dave,

We have been on almost 40 cruises, but have never been on a river cruise. We have cruised Celebrity, Azamara, RCCL, Oceania and Crystal. We have never been on Carnival, Princess, Norwegian or HAL. We are presently booking our first River Cruise and chose to book Tauck Tours since we have been on over 10 of their land tours and 2 of their boat cruises --one was on a 60 passenger sail boat and the other a 90 passenger yacht. We know Tauck's service and will be on a Egypt/Jordan cruise tour in November doing the Nile with them. So, for the past several weeks, I have been getting brochures from all the major riverboat lines and comparing cruises for 2010. After so many people telling me that Tauck is too expensive, I checked each company against Tauck. Tauck was $50 a person higher at the end of a Rhine river cruise than another top end company I checked. The other company had us leaving the boat for four days at two hotels which names they could not tell me. The food for the last four days at the two hotels only included breakfast. On Tauck all the meals are included and the cruise is for 12 nights. So, I suggest that you compare each one you are interested in and look to see if there is paid gratuities, wine and beer included, if all the shore excursions are included in the price, the smoking policy, and the age of the ship. Happy sailing.

Sheila

Hi Sheila and Dave:

I've never been on a big ship cruise but have done 3 river cruises so far and have a 4th one booked. Tauck is one of the top of the line companies and if you're looking for luxury go with them BUT if you're interested in creature comforts at a reasonable price, may I suggest Vantage? River ships, as you know by now, are much smaller and usually have one dinner seating for everyone. Vantage has open seating at all meals so you sit with whomever you please at every meal. Cabin size is pretty much standard on all the cruise lines with the top floor being most expensive and going down from there. Two things that sold me on Vantage over several other companies was the included round-trip airfare and most shore excursions were included. On Castles on the Rhine that included Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, which many of the others did not visit at all, or it was extra. Only thing I really I wish Vantage had was a pool and/or hot tub, but I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.

My wife and I are considering our first river cruise in Europe. We have been on 14 conventional cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, but know nothing about river cruises. Because our vacation schedule is already full for this year and next, we are planning on doing the river cruise sometime in 2011. Of course, that gives me plenty of time to read these boards to gather information. One thing I do need help with is trying to get a handle on the charisteristics of the different river cruise companies and their product. i.e. I know how most of the large cruise ship lines compare - Carnival vs Royal Carribean vs Celebrity vs Crystal etc. Could someone give me a quick run down on how each line compares? Also, what is the best time to cruise? I understand that low or high water can sometimes be a problem.

Dave

If you are over 50, I suggest Grand Circle Travel (http://www.gct.com 1-800-221-2610). Request some of their tour information and start to compare with other providers.

I've been on 4 river cruises and many large ship cruises. I've run the gamut of travel from luxury to budget.

I've taken 2 luxury river cruises. The other two I would consider first class. The luxury cruises were not worth the extra money. Grand Circle was IMO the best value and very well done.

GCT ships do not have glitz and added amenities, but they are very nice. Except for the upper outdoor deck, the ship is smoke free. Seating for dinner is open with casual attire and excellent waiter service. Two glasses of wine are included every night with dinner along with several menu selections. Breakfast and lunch is a buffet with waiter assistance. Buffets offer a nice variety. Exceptional effort is made to accomodate special diets and requests.

Usually a pre and post cruise tour can be added to the cruise. For most cruises, air fare and transfers are included in the price. Watch for GCT specials throughout the year. The staff and crew are friendly & helpful. Their included tours are very well done in small groups with individual head sets...no problem hearing the guides. The optional tours are fairly priced and well planned.

Don't expect evening entertainment as on cruise ships. There will be cultural lectures and regional ertertainment.

The majority of passengers are 55 plus, but definitely "NOT over the hill." GCT does offer a few trips that include younger people. They are advertised as family or grandchild specials.

I'm looking forward to another river cruise with GCT in a few weeks.

If you decide to book with them, contact me and provide your email address. I will provide you with my name and a past passenger reference # which will give you a credit toward your trip.

Have fun with your research and planning.

May and Sept are wonderful months to cruise. April has lock closures every year for maintainance. There have been threads about the best lines and times to cruise. People ten to either hate or absolutely love their first cruise. We have been on Uniworld, Vantage and Viking. We will travel with AMAwaterways in Sept. We look for an itinerary, then the lines don't it and make a spread sheet. Then we pick the best one for us. Sept brings our 9th cruise and Uniworld wins with us. Next year tehy will have butler service in the suites. We do not book suites. They also offer dining on the sundeck weather permitting. All lines have their good and not so good. For us food ca differ on each cruise. With Viking food on Elbe was great, food on the Sun Antwerp-Basel was so-so. Cabins were comfortable on all. C.Schumann cabins small because of the river. You just have to know before you go. Also most of Viking ships have no elevator. It takes research and specific questions asked here. This board is a wonderful source of info. Good luck finding one to suit your wants and needs. Pat

If you decide to book with them, contact me and provide your email address. I will provide you with my name and a past passenger reference # which will give you a credit toward your trip.

Have fun with your research and planning.

Could you contact me using the email link in my signature?

Archived