Travelscoot "Brand" Scooter and Cruising

nieciez

I have a question for any of you who cruise with your Travelscoot brand scooter. How well does it do getting up the gang way at embarkation….this can be a pretty steep incline at some ports depending on the tide. And which battery do you have, the SLA or Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery. I’d like to take it easy on the budget with the Standard model but then I don’t want to sell myself short if it will make that much of a difference in performance. I hear the Lithium battery can overload on steep inclines. Has this been a problem with ship gangways?

I have a Li Ion battery on my Pride Traveler and it doesn't do well on steep inclines---an 8 degree incline is the most it can do easily. The whole thing shuts down and I have to hit the reset button.

I have a travel scoot with a lithium ion battery. I have not had incline problems but I always get a "running" start before I go up an incline. I have been lucky and not had people stop in front of me. I wonder what would happen if I had to start going up immediately from a stopped position.

Husband has a Travelscoot that we use to go to a local amusement park (HersheyPark) that has a lot of hills. There have been times when he had to stop because of people in front of him. We found that all I needed to do was give him a little push on his back and away he goes. It indeed is amazing.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

How well the TravelScoot works on an incline is going to depend on which battery you're using and how much weight the scoot is having to pull up the incline.

For best results you want to approach any incline straight on. Give yourself a running start on flat ground so you have some momentum going.

I am over 400 lbs. and have trouble with inclines. I don't know the angle of incline on the gang way, and my first cruise isn't until next March, but I'll probably walk up the incline and get my 135-lb hubby to ride my scoot up it.

I have a friend who is 250 lbs and the only time she's had trouble with a ramp is when she didn't approach it straight on and get a bit of momentum going first.

If you use the SLA battery the battery will not overload and shut off when it is overtaxed like the lithium ion battery will. The l-ion battery is more technologically advanced, and will shut itself off when it gets overloaded. To start it up again you have to briefly charge it, give it a good push, or turn around and go back down the ramp and let gravity fix it for you.

Hardy Huber (TravelScoot inventor) has also created a new higher capacity l-ion battery. It is not available for sale yet but I saw the prototype last weekend. It has a range of 22 miles and can be pushed harder than the existing battery before it overloads. This is helpful for a much heavier person, but someone of average weight may not ever overload the l-ion battery. Hardy said the new battery should be available in 7-8 weeks.

I don't work for TravelScoot, I'm just a very satisfied user.

Elizabeth

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com

P.S. Denise, I know you've probably already had your question answered, but lots of people read this board so I wanted to respond for them.

I have a question for any of you who cruise with your Travelscoot brand scooter. How well does it do getting up the gang way at embarkation….this can be a pretty steep incline at some ports depending on the tide. And which battery do you have, the SLA or Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery. I’d like to take it easy on the budget with the Standard model but then I don’t want to sell myself short if it will make that much of a difference in performance. I hear the Lithium battery can overload on steep inclines. Has this been a problem with ship gangways?

• 2 years later...

I had no problems with the inclines getting on and off the cruise ship on my Alaska cruise (Li-ion). I don't weight a lot (120 lbs). The cruise employess were very deligent about insisting on helping and being right there with me whether I needed it or not, both ways up and down (Celebrity Cruise Line). I also went out and about on some dirt trail rides while I was there and had no problems. I just love my travelscoot.

I think the ultimate incline test would be the ramps in San Diego taking you over to Tiquana back. They go on and on forever. Anyone done those?

My problem right now is I'm getting ready to fly and need to know what airline ACCEPT our lithium-ion batteries. I see where Alaska does not. I want to see the ones that do. Exicting news about the new upcoming battery.

AceAngel, I have traveled extensively with my travelscoot including trips to and from various European cities using American, Brussels, British, Iberia, and Malev Airlines. If you read the FAA website you must take the lithium battery off the scooter and put it in the cabin with you. The lithium battery can begin burning if it gets very hot (like on a plane that is sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off for over an hour). I've not even had them give me a second glance about the battery. Now TSA and my artificial knees is a different story. Good luck with your flights.

I have had y TravelScoot for several years now and have cruised with it 3 times. I weigh about 250 or so and have had difficulties when accessing steep ramps. You DO need to have a "running start" so to speak, and nobody in front of you. Other passengers have been very kind in helping push me up the last bits, but I prefer to hop off and walk it up myself, leaning on it for stability.

Other than that, I love my Scoot !

• 1 month later...
AceAngel, I have traveled extensively with my travelscoot including trips to and from various European cities using American, Brussels, British, Iberia, and Malev Airlines. If you read the FAA website you must take the lithium battery off the scooter and put it in the cabin with you. The lithium battery can begin burning if it gets very hot (like on a plane that is sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off for over an hour). I've not even had them give me a second glance about the battery. Now TSA and my artificial knees is a different story. Good luck with your flights.

Hi, I'm hoping to take my mother on an E. mediterranean cruise next fall. What European cities were you able to visit on your travelscoot? She has a manual wheelchair; do you think a manual would be fine? Thank you!

We have been to London, Paris, Rome, Athens, Florence, Monaco, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Casablanca, Cairo, Santorini, Patmos, Kusadisi, Jerusalem and Athens as well as Northern Europe. I found the Scandinavian countries to be best for access as they have lots of bike lanes that are great for scooters. Nothing in Europe is as easy as the states as curb cuts are few and stores and restaurants frequently have several steps (although in nice weather there are also sometimes tables outside with fewer steps at some restaurants). I prefer to use the scooter as it gives me more independence and my husband doesn't get worn out with the pushing.

We have been to London, Paris, Rome, Athens, Florence, Monaco, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Casablanca, Cairo, Santorini, Patmos, Kusadisi, Jerusalem and Athens as well as Northern Europe. I found the Scandinavian countries to be best for access as they have lots of bike lanes that are great for scooters. Nothing in Europe is as easy as the states as curb cuts are few and stores and restaurants frequently have several steps (although in nice weather there are also sometimes tables outside with fewer steps at some restaurants). I prefer to use the scooter as it gives me more independence and my husband doesn't get worn out with the pushing.

Do you have a three wheeled travel scooter? If so, are they relatively easy to tip over? Would the travel scooter be easier than a manual wheel chair in Europe/Greece?

I have a travelscoot which is three wheel. I have never tipped over in it but I am not exactly adventurous with it either. I use it on level paved surfaces for the most part although I do go up and down hills/ramps. I do not make quick turns. The travelscoot is much easier for both me and my husband than the transport chair we used to have. I have not travelled with a standard wheelchair and cannot comment on that. Either a scooter or a chair would at times have to be bumped over curbs etc.

I'm going next week to show the International Civil Aviation Organization my Travelscoot and Li-ion battery at their Dangerous Goods Panel Conference.

My goal is to get their new International regulations to dovetail with the Jan. 2010 FAA regulations that streamline carrying our Lithium Ion batteries onboard airplanes.

The world should be simpler for us, not more complicated.

Peter

I'm going next week to show the International Civil Aviation Organization my Travelscoot and Li-ion battery at their Dangerous Goods Panel Conference.

My goal is to get their new International regulations to dovetail with the Jan. 2010 FAA regulations that streamline carrying our Lithium Ion batteries onboard airplanes.

The world should be simpler for us, not more complicated.

Peter

Best of luck Peter, let us know how it goes....fingers are crossed!

As far as I can tell, the less you weigh, the less trouble you'll have maneuvering the gangway on a TravelScoot.

A steep incline can be challenging; those with less of a pitch are OK. The better "head start" you get, the better you'll do. The crews on Holland America have always been extremely accommodating. I do not ride it down the gangway in port either...that would be a disaster waiting to happen!

I love my 'Scoot. I've used it two years now...on one cruise when I needed hip replacement surgery; and this past January, one month post-surgery. I will probably take it this January as it's a godsend in the airport and in ports...other than that, I walk. But I have herniated discs in my back, so that's why I need it now.

• 4 months later...

hi - almost ready to purchase a travel scoot - with lithium ion battery - suggestions - do we need a second battery? should it be the same one? we are doing a 30 day back to back beginning in may - concerned about the need for a second battery - he will only use it off ship and at airports. thanks

Myself, I felt more comfortable having two....ordered the scooter with the Li-ion and I bought the Sealed Lead Acid as a back up. Heavier than the Li-ion but cheaper than buying 2 of the Li-ions.

I purchased two lithium ion batteries at the time of original scooter purchase. I like having the security of always knowing I can get back. If I run the first battery down (only happened twice) I know to start back to my home or ship or wherever I started from. I have found I can go about 8 miles on one charge. I am sure that would be different given speed, incline and weight of the the driver. I went with lithium to keep the weight as low as possible. I have a large scooter I use in my neighborhood and although it has a much larger battery it does not hold the charge as well as the lithium.

We velcro the two batteries together and place them where the one battery would go. We have noticed no difference in driving or rolling it. It is slightly heavier when lifting it into the back of our Highlander. Having the two of them velcroed (made up word) together makes it really easy to plug the second one in if the first one runs out of juice.

Archived