dining

torcruise

I have learned that you get to choose when you want to eat, or choose any time. we want to choose late dinning so we can meet new people. But what if we can't make it one day? what happens when you are in port, do you have to get back to the ship to eat at you time?

I have learned that you get to choose when you want to eat, or choose any time. we want to choose late dinning so we can meet new people. But what if we can't make it one day? what happens when you are in port, do you have to get back to the ship to eat at you time?

Hello

I just wanted to let you know that I did ask this question on the other site, I usually go into the Barcelonia - Venice site , along with the other ones and so where along the way I was told by another lady that if you are in port and you miss you supper that you will have to try and eat at one of the other buffets or what ever is still open when you come back and this lady also told me that there is always room service. And if you think that you are going to be late as this lady told me try and let them know at the table that you will be not coming so they do not wait for you

I sure hope this helps you a little bit

Pom:D

A lot depends on where you're cruising. If it's in the Caribbean or Mexico, or even Canada or Alaska, you're back on board and the ship departs before first seating. It's rare that ships stay in port later than 5 or 6pm.

If you choose traditional dining, that means assigned seating and times, they won't allow you to change your dining time whenever you want. And if you cruise on a ship that has both traditional dining and freestyle, you have to choose one or the other, you can't have traditional for a few days and then change over to freestyle.

If you choose a specific time to dine ("early" or "late" seating, or "traditional" dining), you are committing yourself to only eating dinner at that time, in that dining room. If you're in port, you need to make it back to the ship for the time you've chosen. If not, then the ships have other dining options, like the buffet (which doesn't require a time commitment), or room service, or some of the specialty restaurants, if your ship has those.

If you know that you'll not make it back to the ship (like, you've booked an excursion that will be getting back late), then it is polite to let your dinner companions know -- the strangers or "new people" that you'll meet on the first night -- as sometimes the waiters will wait until the table is filled before they start serving. Or if you can't tell your companions, then tell the head waiter, or someone in the dining venue. If you don't know, then be ready to apologize to the folks the next time you see them.

This would be true, too, if you know that you're not going to eat dinner the next night because you're going to do something else on the ship (eat at the buffet, or one of the other dining venues).

Personally, these are the very reasons why I don't like traditional dining: don't like to feel obligated to tell others if or when I'm eating dinner. I also am not all that interested in meeting new people over dinner. I enjoy being able to meet people on the ship, to be sure -- at one of the bars, or one of the activities on the ship, or on an excursion. With the flexible dining we can all decide to eat together, and just show up at the dining room, and in a short while, be seated and eating dinner. Or if I'm late getting back from something, there's no real rush -- I just show up. Anyway, it works for me.

Have a great cruise!

Unless your ship is staying overnight, there's really no reason why you won't make your assigned dining time....almost everything on the ship is arranged around dinner! You will have to be on the ship 1/2 hour before it's scheduled to leave port anyway....

Archived