Complicated Reservation: Need Help

yoyocruiser

I need some assistance from you experienced CC folks, especially those who make reservations for family groups.

I am preparing to make a reservation on the Pearl for the 7 day itinerary in early January. We have four children--all in college. I would like to reserve the AB Suite--which will sleep five people (probably a bit crowded but the college kids don't care AND are rarely in the room--except for the mornings when husband and I are out). I am CERTAIN that all four children will not be able to go--we'll be lucky if this fits the schedule for three of them. I just don't know which three.

Here is the question. How difficult is it to change the name of a person in your suite--not cancel the slot--but change the person who will take the slot? In my mind it seems as if you cannot make any changes once a reservation was made. OR, can you cancel one person (lose that money) and then pay for the new person? OR, can you add people AFTER you have made your initial reservation. For example--can I make the reservation (and Pay) for husband and I, and then as the others confirm that they are going, can I add them as the 3rd, 4th, and perhaps 5th passenger? Or do you have to know everyone who will be in your cabin from the get-go?

For family groups, would you recommend the AB over two adjoining mini-suites or balconies--the cost is similar and it seems the AB has many more amenities.

Thank you very much for your help!

yoyocruiser

Here is the question. How difficult is it to change the name of a person in your suite--not cancel the slot--but change the person who will take the slot? In my mind it seems as if you cannot make any changes once a reservation was made. OR, can you cancel one person (lose that money) and then pay for the new person? OR, can you add people AFTER you have made your initial reservation. For example--can I make the reservation (and Pay) for husband and I, and then as the others confirm that they are going, can I add them as the 3rd, 4th, and perhaps 5th passenger? Or do you have to know everyone who will be in your cabin from the get-go?

For family groups, would you recommend the AB over two adjoining mini-suites or balconies--the cost is similar and it seems the AB has many more amenities.

We recently had experience with your first question, we were permitted to change the name of the second guest on a reservation, but were told you can't change the name of the primary guest. This was prior to final payment so other rules could apply after final payment. My suggestion would be to book with NCL via phone and ask your questions to be sure but I know they did let me change my second guest on my reservation here just recently and there were no charges involved for making that change.

As to which way to go, the AB or two minis or balconies, the suite perks are pretty nice. If it were me, I'd be comfortable with 5 in the AB and getting to enjoy the suite perks. It's a personal choice as you know but I would always go suite if I could. :)

Assuming they are cozy types, the extra perks for the AB are really great.

Folks have indicated often that a name had to change more than once. In fact, it might be better to book only 2 if the 3rd may not make it, then you do not risk cancellation costs - though the 5th person would be pretty cheap.

I think there MIGHT be a risk in adding the 5th person at the last minute. Sometimes they do reach the ships capacity and do not allow extra people. Or so I have read here.

I need some assistance from you experienced CC folks, especially those who make reservations for family groups.

I am preparing to make a reservation on the Pearl for the 7 day itinerary in early January. We have four children--all in college. I would like to reserve the AB Suite--which will sleep five people (probably a bit crowded but the college kids don't care AND are rarely in the room--except for the mornings when husband and I are out). I am CERTAIN that all four children will not be able to go--we'll be lucky if this fits the schedule for three of them. I just don't know which three.

yoyocruiser

How large are your college-age children? Truly, the two beds in the second bedroom are not full-length (one is a pull-down berth, as you probably already know), and it sounds like you are really planning for five adults. I think you'll find it pretty tight - on the balcony, too. But if you are a close-knit clan, hey, smile, laugh, and have a grand time. Actually, you could lay down easy rules early: If Mom and Dad are in bed when the kids get home, then the door separating the large bathroom and the living room will be shut, and all the kids will have to use the smaller bathroom in the second bedroom. And be quiet! :) Make sure you have a pull-out sofa in the LR for the fifth person - not all sofas on all ships are.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies.

Regarding the suite size--we do realize that if three kids go it will be fairly tight. Three are girls--all pretty small--and one pretty large 18 year old--my guess is that we'll end up with 1-2 of the girls and my son.

I was thinking that adding them after we made our initial reservation would probably be the best course--so long as we did not wait until the last minute. I am thinking I will book the suite for husband and I during the next week. Mid-fall, after they are back to college and they become clear about their Christmas vacation plans, I will add whoever commits to going (and I am banking on it only being 2-3 out of the four). If they all wish to go I guess I will add two to the suite and then book an inside cabin. I would think that if we had our plans made by November that it would not be an issue with the ship booking up. Of course, these things are always a bit of gamble unless you just pay for everyone up front and book both the suite and an extra room. But I think I am willing to live with that risk. Does that seem to make sense?

Again, I thank you folks for your replies. Actually I did not know that the second bed in the second bedroom was not full size--and that would certainly be an issue if I had four BOYS! As always, CC folks have the information!

yoyocruiser

My first attempt to discuss this was with a TA who told me that I had to have the exact people identified for the cruise as there could not be changes. I have not spoken with NCL yet as i want to really do my homework before I seek to speak with them. I do not think that the TA was correct--I don't think that the TA thought I was serious and I think he was perhaps trying to speak generally.

yoyoocruiser

yoyocruiser

no problem with name changes. If the docs have been printed there may be a charge for re-printing.

Nita

Archived