Earthworks Pottery and local artwork

BLStokes23

We will be visiting Barbados in a few weeks and would love to find some local artwork to purchase. I have found the website for Earthworks Pottery - it looks absolutely wonderful. I am wondering how far it is located from the cruise dock. Does anyone have any feedback or other suggestions? Any help will be appreciated!

Pelican Village (I believe I have that name correct) is within a few short blocks from the cruise ship - can't miss it. All shops are local arts and crafts. Where is your Earthware Pottery place? I am also interested to know of art galleries on the island.

Nancy

Nancy - thanks for your response. Earthworks Pottery is located in St. Thomas. I'm trying to get an idea of how far it is from Bridgetown. You can check out their site at Earthworks-Pottery.com.

Earthworks Pottery is about four or five miles from the cruise terminal.

A 20 minute, US$10-12 taxi ride each way.

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

Earthworks is one of my favorite places to visit and buy gifts here in Barbados. There is also a small gift shop and restaurant as well as a batik gallary on site. If you lucky you will get to watch the potters do their work as well as the batik artist at work as well.

Enjoy.

One more question - a little strange. We have been on several wild taxi rides up and around some pretty hazardous roads. I know the taxi ride is now about 20 minutes - are the roads pretty safe and not too hilly? This really will make a difference as to where we will be going.

As Barbados is a limestone island and not a volcanic rock island, we are relatively flat as islands go (not as flat as Anquilla and others but not to bad. The slope as you go up (or down) is not terribly intense expect in one or two places around the island.

I would say your journey from the port to Earthworks should be smooth. The first part is along a major highway here. you would then turn off at a roundabout and head more up and inland. The roads are not to twisting. There will only be one point in the area of the pottery thats slightly tricky and it's only because it's the residential area where the pottery is.

of course I will mention the drive way to the pottery, which can be steep. If it's not crowded that day the taxi driver can drive to the top by the pottery or he can park at the bottom of the hill and the owners have built a nice step walk way up to the pottery area (not very difficult walking at all).

Enjoy the day

• 3 weeks later...

All around the island you will see a large variety of Earthworks Pottery for sale in giftshops (including Cave Shepherd), and at most of the tourist attractions, such as Harrison's Caves, etc. The cost everywhere is identical to that offered at the pottery. At the pottery they do have some "seconds" which will be priced lower, however.

Lois

Ah!!!.. The infamous "Seconds Shelf" at Earthworks. Some people think these items should cost more, cause they really are one-of-a-kind at Earthworks. Most of the pottery I have purchased from Earthworks is from that shelf.. Back right hand corner from the front door.

If you don't mind an imperfection as slight as a drop of color in the wrong spot or , like one I have, a bowl that has a piece of steel lodged in the middle of it from a firing gone wrong (David Spieler, the owner, sanded it down for me as I was making my purchase). And as long as I don't put it into the microwave (which I wouldn't anyway), the steel only makes it that more interesting.

No problems buying Earthworks from any of the other shops, but go to the pottery for the experience.

Enjoy.

We have stopped at Earthworks on every visit to Barbados. Found them on our first cruise and they were a stop on an island tour. On our last visit (about two years ago, we bought 12 dinner plates (all different) so we could be reminded every night of the beautiful colors of the Caribbean.

We will be visiting again in about ten days on our next cruise. I have pre-ordered tiles from them (David is terrific) that we will be using to create a backsplash in our kitchen to match the dishes. I truly love their work and my only disappointment is that I can't carry more of it home.

By the way, this pottery makes awesome wedding gifts!

ENJOY!

Host Anne

Cruise Critic Celebrity & Hawaii Message Board Moderator

aygoyer@one.net

Archived