Roatan, Honduras ??

ColoradoLad

The recent news is serious: some news agencies state that it is close

to "civil war".

Roatan, although very different is going to be a very doubtful port

if the mass murders and terrorism do not stop on the mainland.

Read the "yahoo news" search.

Bottom line: this is an issue.

Roatan was my all time favorite port.

Joke is Honduras has no Naval force: unlike Mexico

to insure real safety.

Colorado

Pray for Honduras: for those twenty something killed yesterday: women and children. (on the mainland).

PS

yes, Mexico does have warships and cutters: armed at every port and they are very much "on duty".

I cannot find anything and I have searched both yahoo and google.

I also just talked to a family friend who got back last week for 10 days in Roatan and he said he didn't hear anything was wrong while he was there. Do you have a link for this story?

The only news items that show up on Roatan on Yahoo!News effrective December 26 are related to toursim. 033102stupid_prv.gif There is no mention of any trouble there.

But there is PLENTY of news on Honduras and much of it is related to all that trouble that was mentioned in the original post. :( Search terms using both Roatan and Honduras only resulted in another article on tourism.

I suspect, that for the moment, Roatan is fine. Knowing what's happening on the mainland is good but for the time being there is no need to get all worked up about going to Roatan. If a civil war does break out on the mainland, Roatan will probably be getting in influx of refugees.

Mexico is in North America and in many ways IS better off and more stable than its Central American neighbors to the south.

I think we might be reading into this much more than is the reality of the situation. I see nothing about "civil war". Everything I read indicates that the problem is with a "band of thugs" on the mainland, who were deported by the U.S. in the late 90's who are causing the problems. There are many areas in Mexico which are not safe for tourists, but we continue to travel there. I don't think any of this will affectm Roatan, and I surely am not going to let it bother me in the least when I visit next week. It is like compareing Margarita Island with Venezuela. Venezuela is dangerous, with political problems, but the island is not affected.

mikvie has made a good point:

I have been to Mexico and I nave been to Margarita Island and I have been to Roatan - I never felt unsafe in any of those places. It really depends on where you go in any country. There are parts of Mexico I would avoid and there are parts of Honduras I would avoid (Roatan is NOT one of them) and I would avoid parts of mainland Venezuela. Do you really think cruiselines are going to take their passengers to areas where they know real danger exists? A little common sense is in order here.

I have to agree with Zeno. I just hope the cruise lines pay special attention to this and can forsee problems coming (if indeed they do) before they actually strike.

As a sidebar-we walked out past Yaba Ding Ding (great name) to a market and found all of the people friendly to a fault. Overall these are some of the nicest people you could meet. I was amazed when looking at some craft items, how the vendor would tell me the price and then start lowering it before I had a chance to even make a "counter offer" if I had intended to. It was like they were sorry for asking so much (which wasn't much at all).

-Monte

I would feel as safe in Roatan as in any major city here in the USA. Use common sense, of course don't wander around alone or at night and watch for what seems unusual. Roatan is a wonderful island. I too have been to Mexico, Roatan, and Margarita Island. Margarita Island is not the Land of Enchantment, but a super place to visit if you stay in the main tourist area. Don't let what you are reading keep you from enjoying a wonderful place like Roatan. NMNita

Be assured that NCL and every other cruise line pay close attention to the US State Department advisories. They will not put their guests into harms way; tends to cause others to cancel their trips! Interesting how cruise passengers get angry if a port is canceled due to rough seas or bad storms, but want the ship to steer clear of any potential trouble spots due to political strife.

We are due to sail for Roatan on the Sea this coming Saturday. I feel secure.

The Smith's

I was there last week. We took a van to Les Boucaineers on the West End. I felt safe. I saw nothing that made me feel uneasy. Lots of poverty though. You have to realize that Roatan is on an island, not connected to the mainland where the problems may be.

Natalie

Archived