what order to do things in Rome

Rhisibabe

I actually don't have a favorite place for gelato in Rome. More important to me than the place, per se, is that the product is Artigianale - made locally with fresh ingredients.

Della Palma, mentioned above, is very comfortable for Americans because it looks like home. Big, bright, and full of flavors (30+); however, they sell large scale manufactured goods with brand name products (for example, their mint chocolate chip a couple of years ago was "After Eight"). Although it's not my kind of place, I have to say that the kids loved it there.

I actually don't have a favorite place for gelato in Rome. More important to me than the place, per se, is that the product is Artigianale - made locally with fresh ingredients.

Della Palma, mentioned above, is very comfortable for Americans because it looks like home. Big, bright, and full of flavors (30+); however, they sell large scale manufactured goods with brand name products (for example, their mint chocolate chip a couple of years ago was "After Eight"). Although it's not my kind of place, I have to say that the kids loved it there.

I would have to agree that an artisanal product is typically heads and tails above a large scale manufactured product due to the dedication to the item. However I think that Della Palma will be a nice way to start as it is on our planned route, and will serve as a starting point in developing my gelato palette! Thanks to you both! Now on to figuring out our Florence excursion!

Thanks for everyone's post and insides so far. I will be traveling with 3 kids, ages 7, 4, and 1, and my in laws, (60s) in Nov 2009. Should we choose taxi in between places or do one of those hop on hop off tourist buses. I would like to do the local bus/metro system if it were just my husband and I w/ our oldest, but am afraid it'll be too much steps with the stroller. Any help/in sights would be great. Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's post and insides so far. I will be traveling with 3 kids, ages 7, 4, and 1, and my in laws, (60s) in Nov 2009. Should we choose taxi in between places or do one of those hop on hop off tourist buses. I would like to do the local bus/metro system if it were just my husband and I w/ our oldest, but am afraid it'll be too much steps with the stroller. Any help/in sights would be great. Thanks.
First, I'd decide and prioritize what you want to see/visit. Based on that, we can suggest options. For newbies, I recommend walking and taxis. Unfortunately, your group is seven so you will need two taxis if you all want to travel together. The metro isn't very extensive and is virtually useless, and the bus system, while good and extensive, is IMO a bit complicated to figure out and thus isn't ideal for a multi-generational group on their first visit. And I personally don't like the cost/benefit of a HOHO bus for Roma. The key really is to plan your days carefully to minimize your walking, study and use a good map or GPS, and to use taxis as a backup.

Also, if you're planning on using a stroller, make sure it is a good jogging or all-terrain stroller as European streets, alleys and plazas are very uneven and you will really struggle with a regular stroller. You may find that a stroller is more trouble than its worth when considering the uneven street and pedestrian areas, many steps and stairs (with no escalators or elevator options), and small cars/taxis that might not even have room for the stroller. You can't even negotiate an area such as the Foro Romano for example with a stroller (heck, I'm not even sure they allow them in there). My wife and I were married in Roma, but this was a primary reason we didn't take our kids there until they were able to walk 1 km or more on their own. Hopefully, you will make do. :)

Archived