what order to do things in Rome

Rhisibabe

Hmm - there are about a hundred answers to this.

On our last trip, the week before last, here's what we did:

• Train from Civitavecchia to Roma Trastevere
  • #3 Bus to Cielo park (just before the Colosseum)
  • Purchased combined Colossum/Forum/Palatine tickets at the Palatine box office (to avoid lines at the Colosseum)
  • Part of group visited Colsseum & Forum, others went up the hill to Santa Maria Maggiore and San Pietro in Vincoli
  • Got back together at Campidoglio, walked to Treve Fountain
  • Walked from Treve to Pantheon
  • Lunch and gelato near Pantheon
  • Walked to Piazza Navona (San Luigi dei Francesi is along the way, but the Caravaggios are being restored and not on view)
  • #40 bus from Piazza Navona to Vatican
  • St. Peter's Basilica
  • Walked to San Pietro train station for train back to Civitavecchia

Can anyone tell me what order they did things in Rome and what stations they got on and off at. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Hire a private tour and see it all. We did and it was fantastic! We hired Fabrizio who owns www.allarounditaly.net and he is the very best. He loves his business and wants you to experience Italy at it's best. Tell him the Spice girls recommended him, especially Karen.:p

You're welcome. There are lots of other ways to do it, depending on what you want to see, the time you arrive, etc.

For example, I've noticed that most people prefer to use the Ostiense train station, which is close to the metro, and take the metro line two stops to the Colosseum. This way is likely a few minutes faster than my method (Trastevere station to bus/tram route #3), but I prefer to avoid the metro whenever possible (and it's quite easy to avoid in Rome, as it doesn't really go to most of the places tourists are interested in).

If you can tell me which sites you are most interested in, and approximately what time you think you'll be arriving in Rome and how long you'll have, perhaps I can help you put together a specific itinerary.

Earlier this month, we took the train using BIRG tickets from Civitavecchia to the Roma Ostiense station. Then walked to the connecting Metro station and took the subway for 2 stops to the Coliseum using the same BIRG tickets. We had pre-ordered tickets to the inside of the Coliseum so walked to the front of the long line and entered quickly. After seeing what we wanted there, we walked to the Palatine Hill/Forum entrance and walked that. We exited at the other end of the Forum and walked on to the Pantheon. We had planned to taxi to the Vatican Museum, but we were early for our 1:00 pre-purchased tickets. So we caught a taxi to St. Peters Square and explored inside St. Peters. So we then had to walk the outside sidewalks for about 15 minutes to get to the Vatican Museum entrance. We quickly did the long hallway walk thru the museum to the Sistene Chapel. We then exited out of the "tour group" doorway of the Chapel back into St. Peter's Square and walked the few blocks to the Roma San Pietro train station where we used our BIRG tickets to return to Civitavecchia. We had ample time and could have spent another hour in Rome, but the heat was too much for us by that time, so we headed home to the ship's pool.

I would like to do add that take a taxi whenever you feel you are lost ( direction) to save time. It only costs 5 euro most cases.

I planed our trip on google map, but often I could not find the street google tells me to take from A to B. With limited time, you really don't want to waste it on finding your way around. We missed the train we are supposed to get on and the next train was 15 minutes late. By the time we got to port, there is no taxi around ( from port entrance to ship is a long way, 40 min walk?), shuttle is gone. We almost missed our ship!

• Purchased combined Colossum/Forum/Palatine tickets at the Palatine box office (to avoid lines at the Colosseum)
  • Part of group visited Colsseum & Forum, others went up the hill to Santa Maria Maggiore and San Pietro in Vincoli
  • Walked to Piazza Navona (San Luigi dei Francesi is along the way, but the Caravaggios are being restored and not on view)
  • St. Peter's Basilica

How long did this take you? Thanks!

We left the ship around 7:15 and got on the 7:59 train, which put us in Rome at 9:00. We were at the Treve fountain around noon and had lunch near the Panthon about 1:30. We were on the 4:59 train from San Pietro that got to Civitavecchia at 6 PM and were back on the ship about 6:15 or 6:20.

Thanks EuroCruiser. The main things we want to see are the Colosseum, ? forum, Treve Fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps and St Peter's Square, so it sounds almost the same as you did. Did you find it a rush or were you able to look at things properly?:rolleyes:

We weren't particularly rushed, but we also didn't spend long periods of time in any one place.

The addition of the Spanish Steps slightly complicates your itinerary. First timers to Rome usually want to see it, I know I did, but once you've been there it's hard to imagine what all the fuss was about. It's a staircase. Yes, a rather large and particularly pretty one, but still a staircase. It doesn't have the interest or importance of Michaelangelo's cordonata up to the Capitol.

However, I understand the desire to see it. I'd suggest adding it in after the Pantheon. You can jump on the #116 electric bus at Piazza della Rotonda and take it directly to the Spanish Steps. Once you've had your fill of the steps, jump on the metro A northbound (toward Battistini) and go three stops to Ottaviano. From there it's about a 5 - 10 minute walk southbound on Via Ottaviano (depending on how fast you go) to Piazza San Pietro. Both the bus and the metro are covered by the BIRG ticket.

I'd agree with euro_cruiser. Adding the Spanish Steps adds a little more work to an easier plan. I personally don't think the steps are worth the extra work. Tourist sights are a personal choice, but I would vote to skip the steps and spend that time at one of your other destinations.

Unfortunately with 2 children the tours are out of the question as they are too expensive so we'll be doing it on our own. Thanks for telling me which stations to use.:)
We too travelled with 2 kids and my main suggestion is that, while it is relatively easy for adults to walk most of your planned itinerary, the kids will tucker out MUCH faster--even over relatively short distances. If you can afford a private tour, then I recommend using a cab here and there to save some walking.

We weren't particularly rushed, but we also didn't spend long periods of time in any one place.

The addition of the Spanish Steps slightly complicates your itinerary. First timers to Rome usually want to see it, I know I did, but once you've been there it's hard to imagine what all the fuss was about. It's a staircase. Yes, a rather large and particularly pretty one, but still a staircase. It doesn't have the interest or importance of Michaelangelo's cordonata up to the Capitol.

However, I understand the desire to see it. I'd suggest adding it in after the Pantheon. You can jump on the #116 electric bus at Piazza della Rotonda and take it directly to the Spanish Steps. Once you've had your fill of the steps, jump on the metro A northbound (toward Battistini) and go three stops to Ottaviano. From there it's about a 5 - 10 minute walk southbound on Via Ottaviano (depending on how fast you go) to Piazza San Pietro. Both the bus and the metro are covered by the BIRG ticket.

I also agree that the Spanish Steps are greatly overrated--especially in the summer. If you must go, make sure it's in the spring, when the flowers are out and it's pretty. Otherwise, it's kind of out of the way and very skippable.

Thanks EuroCruiser. The main things we want to see are the Colosseum, ? forum, Treve Fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps and St Peter's Square, so it sounds almost the same as you did. Did you find it a rush or were you able to look at things properly?:rolleyes:

Having done this a few times, I'd suggest:

1. Train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini station

2. Walk/taxi to Colisseum (~4 Euro)

3. Walk to Forum

4. Taxi to Trevi Fountain (~5 Euro)

5. Walk to Pantheon

6. Walk to Piazza Navona

7. Walk/taxi to Vatican (~4-5 Euro)

8. Walk/taxi to San Pietro station to catch train back to Civitavecchia

The amount of walking you can do will depend on the following:

1. How old are your kids?

2. When are you visiting Roma? If in the summer, the heat will limit your endurance.

3. How much time do you actually have in Roma? How long do you have in port and which trains do you plan to catch?

I will also add that this itinerary is pretty standard, i.e. touristy and unimaginative. It omits many worthwhile, and in my opinion, better things to see and do in Roma--especially for kids. If you'd like to know more, let me know, otherwise I will shut up now. :)

Thanks everyone. In answer to Terpnut's questions the children are 13 and 15 and are used to us dragging them about sightseeing. We are going in a couple of weeks' time so we know that the heat is going to be a killer. We're in port from 7 am to 7 pm so hopefully we'll be able to fit everything in. I'll take on board everyone's comments about the Spanish steps and see how we're doing for time on the day.:)

Having done this a few times, I'd suggest:

1. Train from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini station

2. Walk/taxi to Colisseum (~4 Euro)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I can't remember if I said this here or on another forum. There is no need to go all the way to Roma Termini and, in fact, it adds significant time to the trip. Get off the train either in Trastevere and take the #3 tram/bus (usually a tram, it's running right now as a bus while track work is performed - don't know how long that will last) or in Ostiense and take the metro north two stops to the Colosseum.

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on this board. I have a question about being able for two adults to walk from the Forum to the Panethon and then to Treve Fountain? Is is possible or do you have to take a taxi? Also another question are reliable taxis easy to find in either of these locations?

Thanks for any help.

Kathy

The centro storico of Rome is really quite small and can easily be walked. The Forum to the Pantheon to Treve fountain is not far at all.

As to taxis, Rome taxis are not allowed to stop and pick up passengers at random, the way we do in the States. They are supposed to pick up people either at official taxi stands or in response to phone requests to a specific location. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't find some who will ignore the rules.

There is a taxi stand on Via dei Fori Imperiali near the Colosseo metro stop. Treve is in a pedestian area but there's probably a stand out on Via del Tritone.

Remember to check that the driver is using "tariffa 1" (I think that's how it's spelled), which is the rate for inside the GRE. Tariffa 2 rates increase much faster.

Here is a link to the official city web site with information on cab rates. If you scroll down to the bottom, past the airport taxi info, you'll find the in-town rates: http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_VII/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Tariffa_fissa_da_e_per_aeroporti/Fixed_rates_from_and_to_the_airports/

Thanks everyone. In answer to Terpnut's questions the children are 13 and 15 and are used to us dragging them about sightseeing. We are going in a couple of weeks' time so we know that the heat is going to be a killer. We're in port from 7 am to 7 pm so hopefully we'll be able to fit everything in. I'll take on board everyone's comments about the Spanish steps and see how we're doing for time on the day.

Your kids are quite a bit older so attention-span, and not stamina, will be your main problem. :)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I can't remember if I said this here or on another forum. There is no need to go all the way to Roma Termini and, in fact, it adds significant time to the trip. Get off the train either in Trastevere and take the #3 tram/bus (usually a tram, it's running right now as a bus while track work is performed - don't know how long that will last) or in Ostiense and take the metro north two stops to the Colosseum.
I happen to agreed however, for newbies, I think it's simpler to suggest going to Termini. For example, if you catch one of the intercities or express trains, they don't make any of the intermediate stops. Also, on my most recent trip to Roma, even my regional train did not stop at Tuscolana (where I had planned to get off to get to San Giovanni in Laterano). I'm not sure why, but at least I know my way around and could adjust. Thus I don't recommend the intermediate stops unless you are absolutely certain you'll be able to get off there.

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on this board. I have a question about being able for two adults to walk from the Forum to the Panethon and then to Treve Fountain? Is is possible or do you have to take a taxi? Also another question are reliable taxis easy to find in either of these locations?

Thanks for any help.

Kathy

These are all very easily walkable for two reasonably fit adults. As to taxi stands, euro_cruiser posted the two best locations for the Forum/Colisseum and Trevi. The Pantheon taxi stand is just to the right of the Pantheon (when looking at the front entrance) on the southwest corner of the Piazza della Rotonda.

As to taxis, Rome taxis are not allowed to stop and pick up passengers at random, the way we do in the States. They are supposed to pick up people either at official taxi stands or in response to phone requests to a specific location. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't find some who will ignore the rules.

There is a taxi stand on Via dei Fori Imperiali near the Colosseo metro stop. Treve is in a pedestian area but there's probably a stand out on Via del Tritone.

The taxi stands are indeed easy to find near most of the tourist spots. And FWIW we did occasionally flag down cabs in some odd places without a problem.

I'll also add that you will occasionally run into the unscrupulous taxi driver who wants a fixed (and always much higher) price to go somewhere. Just refuse this and go to the next taxi. Always use the meter.

For example, if you catch one of the intercities or express trains, they don't make any of the intermediate stops. Also, on my most recent trip to Roma, even my regional train did not stop at Tuscolana (where I had planned to get off to get to San Giovanni in Laterano). I'm not sure why, but at least I know my way around and could adjust. Thus I don't recommend the intermediate stops unless you are absolutely certain you'll be able to get off there.
Good point. While I suspect this is rare, as all regional trains from Civitavecchia to Rome in the mornings are scheduled to stop at Tuscolana, one should always have a back-up plan. By the way, if you are using a BIRG ticket, be sure you board a regional train, not an IC or ES City, as these trains are not covered by the BIRG ticket.

If you have the time and interest, you can see all the details of train schedules, stops and times on www.trenitalia.com. There is an English language portion of the site, but it reverts back to Italian as you get into the details. To see the stops for a particular train, click on the train number.

• 1 month later...

• St. Peter's Basilica

Euro cruiser...thank you for such an informative perspective. We are going to do the same itinerary on Sept. 30th, with the addition of the Spanish Steps, and wanted to know what places you have experienced en route that offer a good lunch, gelato, espresso etc., as I have read varying views in the forum. Let me know and thanks!

Of my three favorite places to eat in Rome (at least, my three favorite right now), the two that are along this itinerary (or reasonably close to it) are Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (via Madonna dei Monti 16), which is near the Forum and Ristorante La Pigna (Piazza della Pigna), which is near the Pantheon.

Odds are it will be too early for lunch when you're near Fori Imperiali (sigh), but La Pigna might work out just right. It opens a little late for lunch, at 1 PM I think.

Of my three favorite places to eat in Rome (at least, my three favorite right now), the two that are along this itinerary (or reasonably close to it) are Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (via Madonna dei Monti 16), which is near the Forum and Ristorante La Pigna (Piazza della Pigna), which is near the Pantheon.

Odds are it will be too early for lunch when you're near Fori Imperiali (sigh), but La Pigna might work out just right. It opens a little late for lunch, at 1 PM I think.

I think La Pigna might work out nicely as well! What about a gelato and espresso place that you like?

I think La Pigna might work out nicely as well! What about a gelato and espresso place that you like?
The two best gelati places in Roma are: Gelateria Della Palma at Via della Maddalena, 20 (just north of the Pantheon) or San Crispino at Via della Pannetteria 42 (just east of Fontana di Trevi). :)

Archived