for those who tan

Well, to be truthful the post title should really be,

"To Those Who Tan in Tanning Beds"

;)

I used tanning beds one crazy summer about 20 years ago. I didn't like them because I often felt like my skin was cooking (gee ... carcinogenic ... I guess it was! :eek: ).

But those who use them don't seem to be dissuaded so I'll save my breath (or rather my typing fingers).

We've had a number of debates regarding tanning, whether in beds or laying in the sun, every year here it seems.

Those who want nice skin and to keep it looking good for years automatically stay out of the sun and protect their skin.

Those who want to look temporarily "healthy" will never see the harm, until they are in their 40's or 50's, they will always argue pro.

Since the tanning beds are now recognized to be carcinogenic, I'd not be surprised to see the gov't move in and regulate or even ban them. It's really too bad the gov't has to protect us from ourselves :rolleyes:. At the very least, a warning posted in tanning salons should be in place. Since I've never been to one, I may be ignorant, they may already have that in place. That hasn't worked for cigarettes yet so I doubt it would for tanning beds, but at least people would cease to think of them as safe.

We'll have to wait to see what ensues.

A lot of people and even my family members say "Oh well" or "you can get cancer from anything"

True you can get cancer from a lot of things, but why put yourself in that position it's like smoking and saying oh well. :rolleyes:

It's not until people actually get cancer or a close relative get's it..then they say "oh I guess I shouldn't go" :rolleyes:

As much as I like the look of the tan, I'd rather keep my own glow that I was born with. :D

I have only been to a tanning salon a few times, and I never felt my tan looked natural, and it did not feel right. I have completely stopped going. I am 24 and want to remain looking young for many many more years. I use a tanning lotion, and use SPF lotion on my face if going out in the sun. I don't mind laying by the beach and getting a tan, but I want to protect my skin as best I can now, so I don't regret it later.

Good article...especially because they looked at 20 studies!

I am a reformed tanner...after a trip home to Brazil a few years ago a giant mole popped out and I had to get a chunk of my lip removed (which grew back!!) and it was negative but it scared me.

Amazing how something so bad for you makes you feel healthy. Sun is good for Vitamin D exposure of course, but I don't think they mean for you to roast in it.

I don't want people to point at me and call me "leather lady" one day.

I think people should cheat and just get a spray tan the day they return from their cruise so people will "think" you got it on vacation :)

I believe the leather ladies are the ones that sit in it all day:eek:.I try and get atleast 30 minutes of direct sun a day,it does the body good.:DI tan mostly my legs that way no panty hose for me.

10 minutes is sufficient amount of time to get the goods out of the sun. Anyway most people can't completley avoid the sun..so most do get the good effects of the sun without even trying anyway.

I never tan..if I want to I'll just get an "all natural" spray on (meaning something without harmful chemicals) but I don't do that much anyway. I enjoy being white as that's how I was born :D . My grandmothers friend was in her 80's and she looked amazing everyone always asked how she got her skin so beautiful and she said "I avoided the sun" and that woman's skin was beautiful and she barely had a wrinkle on her.

If I do go to the beach I keep applying the sunblock, bring a hat, uv protection sunglasses and I have a uv protected umbrella. :D

I avoid area's of smoke and I avoid long exposure to sun and I don't agree with tanning beds.

That's what they should ban, cigarettes and tanning beds. LOL

Don't know if any of you have seen this pic but if it was a bigger one you can see exactly what the damage it has done to this woman's skin:

OldTan.jpg

Of course anything in moderation, for the most part , is ok..but like one poster said, even in moderation you still pay for it later in life. That sudden mole that popped out on my lip popped out in two weeks and I did not like having a chunk of my lip removed...and I grew up in south america in the sun...no way do I want to take the chances...and now I know I risk being "leather lady" when I'm older..but better a change now than never.

It's one of those things you don't see the damage until years later, unlike eating or drinking, if we see the damage now!:)

I just want to point out... that picture of the "tanned lady" is a fake. She's wearing a suit.

I do tan. I think that tanning, like most things, is okay in moderation.

Okay, if the pic is fake then it's fake(there are other pics of her also and it does NOT look like a suit) but I also want to point out that, you can indeed look like that or something similar because of the effects of the sun...especially after long, excessive exposure. That was my point of the post. :)

Moderation ladies is the key word here.My sister is vitamin D deficent,and the doctor told her to sit in the sun,not for long periods of time,but in moderation.I have a son that is 27 and people say I look like his sister because i have such nice skin.I have sat in the sun,not tanning beds my whole life,but with moderation.

Archived