what does the butler do for you?

jarmiste

Just discovered that we are booked into a penthouse suite and it has a butler (surprise birthday trip for me, but I accidentally saw the letter from the TA and it mentioned our room). Just wondering what the butler is for? I thought I saw a previous thread related to this but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Julie

Rickey, thank you so much. That was everything I needed to know and more. Appreciate it.

Julie

My Butler's name was Georgio on the Regatta. He was wonderful and knew from the first few days exactly what I wanted for snacks each day. Chcolate covered strawberries. The wine was always chilled upon arrival from a long day of touring and the glasses were also chilled. Coffee was served in the morning. I purchased a painting from a Port and he provded a cardboard tube for taking it home. This upcoming trip, no Butler but 2011 trip, Yeah!:D

Knitter, was this your wine that you brought on board with you or wine that you purchased from the ship? We are planning to bring wine, etc. with us to have in our room. Does it matter?

Can I just clarify one question also from that threat that Rickey referred me to: When tipping above and beyond what the ship adds onto your account, do you do this only at the end of the trip or do you tip extra cash each time the butler does something special for you? somehow I didn't really get the definitive answer from that thread. Thanks again.

Julie

Knitter, was this your wine that you brought on board with you or wine that you purchased from the ship? We are planning to bring wine, etc. with us to have in our room. Does it matter?

Can I just clarify one question also from that threat that Rickey referred me to: When tipping above and beyond what the ship adds onto your account, do you do this only at the end of the trip or do you tip extra cash each time the butler does something special for you? somehow I didn't really get the definitive answer from that thread. Thanks again.

Julie

Hi. Julie. Each Port, I bought Wine. He would ask each morning which one I wanted Chilled. I tipped at the end of the cruise in addition to the prepaid gratuities. I tipped him well because he would serve me coffee in bed. (Not to be taken out of context :eek:). Now I wish I had a suite in November. Nothing like being pampered.

...and thank you for brightening my morning as well! Now, I'd be happy if I could get my husband to give me coffee in bed, I think I'd know that hell had frozen over. ha ha. Thanks Knitter, I'm already so looking forward to the pampering.

Julie

Julie, as you probably know, an automatic gratuity for your Butler will be included in your room account.

However, should you decide that he has done something extra special, it would be nice if you would give that to him directly along with your thanks. If you were to add it to your room account, it will be divided up among all the butlers....

Dick

Thanks for that advice Dick, I was thinking it would be nice to give him (or her, I presume a butler can be a "she" as well?) cash. And of course, to other staff who have gone out of the way to be helpful.

Can't wait for this to begin!

Julie

Another great perk when you have a butler is the course by course dining from the specialty restaurants. He brings you the menus, you order and he sets up the table in your room or on the balcony. The meal is brought to you one course at a time. The butler returns for the dirty dishes and brings the next course. Heavenly!!!! Can't wait until next cruise for that! Enjoy and Happy Birthday!

Kathie

Another great perk when you have a butler is the course by course dining from the specialty restaurants. He brings you the menus, you order and he sets up the table in your room or on the balcony. The meal is brought to you one course at a time. The butler returns for the dirty dishes and brings the next course. Heavenly!!!! Can't wait until next cruise for that! Enjoy and Happy Birthday!

Kathie

And this is especially nice after a long day in port. Getting back, having a shower and not having to get dressed up to go to the dining room. Pure luxury:D.

Yes, Pam, we have three days prior. We love Rome and are excited to be going back. Rome was the first Italian city I ever visited (about ten years ago) and is still one of my favorite cities in the world. Thanks!

Kathie

We just flew in last night from our time onboard the Insignia, and I thought I would add that our butler, Paolo was wonderful. Also to add that one thing Paolo did, other than what is already mentioned, when we planned on dining in one of the restaurants and were bringing our own bottle of wine (yes there was a corkage fee), he chilled it in our cabin, and then brought it up to the restaurant for us. He made sure the wine steward knew it was ours. He had made our reservations for us, so at the appropriate time he went to our cabin and.... Voila! there was our bottle of wine waiting for us in Polo.

Paolo brought us breakfast every morning to our cabin, which was a total luxury, and I'll miss that a lot! :)

Jacquie

Archived