Do travel agents offer any incentives??

I have called many different agencies and the rates are the same (Carnival) and I'm wondering if there are any agencies that offer incentives to book through them - such as onboard credits or prepaid gratuities, etc?

Just trying to figure out why I'd go through an agent and not do it on my own. Carnival reps seem so much more helpful and informative. :rolleyes:

Oh sure they do. Try contacting the major online TA's .The ones with "Cruise" in their name would be a start. Some , but certainly not all ,advertise here on CC. Many have have Groups to book into. That gets you the OBC's, amenities and possible lower cruise rate.

Carnival still allows TA's to provide additional discounts (rebate of commissions) so you certainly should be seeing better rates thru TA's.

Don't expect much of a discount rate on a cheap Inside cabin (like cat 1A) on a 3 night cruise .

Why use a TA ? Will Carnival contact you to refare at a lower promo rate ? Will Carnival help you choose the the cruise that best fits your needs (it may not be Carnival!).

Concur with the above post that you can find discounts at outside travel agencies, but you do need to do some homework on your end. When you said you called the various agencies, did you just cal your local TA? From my experience, the bigger discounts are from the internet agencies. Go online and do some Google search for internet cruise agencies and then sign up for their mass spam email listing.

The really cheap fares are from those one-off fares from the email listing where they give you OBC/prepaid gratuities/bottles of wine and so on.

As you wait for the sales that fits your budget/time frame, if you are Costco or AAA members, those agencies offer deals to their members on some sailings as well.

There are also web sites out there that use the same business model as people use lending tree for getting home loans. You pick the cruise and make a request and various travel agents bid for your business with discounts/incentives.

I’ll be on my tenth cruise and I haven’t used the same agency more than twice as I always shop around for the lowest price/best incentives.

That being said, if you are new to cruising and you prefer someone to guide you through the entire process step by step and be there to answer all questions relating to the ship/cruise line, then these mass market travel agencies may not be to your liking.

While some T/A's might offer incentives, I personally would not pick an agent based solely on that or a low-ball price. If their service is crappy, I don't care how they try to cajole me to use them. Won't happen for me.

Rumor has it that Carnival pays TA's less than other cruise lines, so you need to be careful.

Some of the best TA's are online. There are a few things you need to look for and questions:

1. Is the speciality of the agency cruising? Look for agents that specialize.

2. Ask, for instance, what would you do if I booked a cruise and six months from now the fare comes down? The answer should be that they will be aware of it and will adjust your invoice.

3. Ask if there are ANY fees you need to pay -- for cancellation or ??? The answer should be NO. TA's are paid by the cruise line.

Some cruise lines list recommended TA's on their website. You may want to check.

I am really frustrated right now because my TA, that I and my family have been using exclusively for the last 12 years, is not willing to match $ onboard credits per cabin that other cruise agencies are offering. The cruise fares are all identical, but the perks are different. Between all of my family members, we have 50+ cruises, not counting the many referrals that I sent to my TA. I would think that my business is important to her, but she just tells me that what she offered is the best that she can do. A $75 credit per cabin versus a $200 credit per cabin. What would you do?

I am really frustrated right now because my TA, that I and my family have been using exclusively for the last 12 years, is not willing to match $ onboard credits per cabin that other cruise agencies are offering. The cruise fares are all identical, but the perks are different. Between all of my family members, we have 50+ cruises, not counting the many referrals that I sent to my TA. I would think that my business is important to her, but she just tells me that what she offered is the best that she can do. A $75 credit per cabin versus a $200 credit per cabin. What would you do?

I would explain to her that during these difficult economic times, you have to go with the best deal. If she isn't a TA that specializes in cruises, telling her that you are changing to one who is for the benefits might soften the blow. There are some excellent TA's out there with incentives.

Rumor has it that Carnival pays TA's less than other cruise lines, so you need to be careful.

Some of the best TA's are online. There are a few things you need to look for and questions:

1. Is the speciality of the agency cruising? Look for agents that specialize.

2. Ask, for instance, what would you do if I booked a cruise and six months from now the fare comes down? The answer should be that they will be aware of it and will adjust your invoice.

3. Ask if there are ANY fees you need to pay -- for cancellation or ??? The answer should be NO. TA's are paid by the cruise line.

Some cruise lines list recommended TA's on their website. You may want to check.

Carnival does not pay less commission they pay the same as any major cruise line. I was a TA for 10 years and left the business just about a year ago. All cruise lines pay store front travel agents anywhere from 10-15% commission based on productivity. So the least amount an agent will get paid is 10% and that is for all major cruise lines if the agency sells a lot of Carnival then they can climb the ladder to 15% commission. Commission is based on the cuise only fare minus taxes and non-commissionable fees. Major cruise lines like Carnival do not pay travel agents commission on air, insurance or transfers. So for example if the cruise fare is $799 per person usually $150 or more is non-commissionable amount (whatever that is I am guessing port taxes or something all I know is that they go up each year) and then about $30 is for government taxes.

So in the end the travel agent makes 10-15% commission of $619 per person. Some travel agents then share this commission with agency owners usually half and half. Though some travel agents are strictly on salary only.

Cruise line give travel agents the same rates they would give people calling in on their own. Some travel agents give back some of the commission to clients as pre-paid gratuities, on board credits, etc.... From my understanding Royal Caribbean does not allow agents to apply commission to the actual cruise rate (no rebating) can't remember if Carnival does this too. As one poster says you can't expect a whole lot of goodies if you are booking a 1A 3 night cruise. The most a TA could make on that is maybe $30 -50 which usually half of it going to the agency owner.

If you want to be in total control of your booking then go and book it direct. If you want someone to advise you and be an advocate for you then go with a travel agent. But keep in mind you need to find a good TA. If you go the TA route ask them if they honor price drops and if the monitor them daily (the place I used to work for did - everyday even the weekend) you can also ask them if they book with preferred suppliers for instance some travel agents who make 15% commission with certain cruise lines may push them---stay far away. What you want is an agency that is somewhat unbiased regarding cruise lines so that they can fit you with the proper cruise line...while many lines are alike they are also different and NO Carnival rep will tell you that. Another thing to look for is if the Travel Agent is paid by commission or paid just a salary. I was salaried and received no commission...it is much different this way because everyone worked together. Much better environment that supported our clients.

Carnival does not pay less commission they pay the same as any major cruise line. I was a TA for 10 years and left the business just about a year ago. All cruise lines pay store front travel agents anywhere from 10-15% commission based on productivity. So the least amount an agent will get paid is 10% and that is for all major cruise lines if the agency sells a lot of Carnival then they can climb the ladder to 15% commission. .

The reason I mentioned "rumor has it. . . . " is because I read this on a CC thread this week. Nice to know that it's not true.

The reason I mentioned "rumor has it. . . . " is because I read this on a CC thread this week. Nice to know that it's not true.

I see, well as my mother always said there can be truth to rumors. I still subscribe to the travel industry news publications and so far no word yet but I suspect somewhere down the line that will happen th truth is as much as I support travel agents having been one the role of TAs will fizzle out IMO except for luxury travelers. At the end of my career I worked two years in a luxury travel agency for the very wealthy. That I could see surviving because the majority of these people liked having people doing the work for them and also handeling conceirge arrangements like luggage valet and restuarant reservations. But for the average traveller I think that travel agents will eventually become obsolete. I wish it wasn't true because I did enjoy that line of work but in no way could I survive on the salary.

I apologize if I sounded argogant after I read my post it sounded that way, I am not but when you type as a opposed to a verbal conversation it comes off that way.

Well, as I discussed in my post #3 from above, it depends on what you need your agent to do. Looking at your signature, you have many cruises under your belt, so it’s a question of what service your agent can provide for you that you value over another mass market agency.

The various services provided by agents have been discussed by other posters, so you need to decide for yourself what services, if any, if provided by your current agent that you really enjoy and if it’s worth the extra price.

Just speaking for myself only, I am anal/cheap (bad combination) and I like to be as hands on as possible on my vacation planning, so I have no loyalty for any specific agency. I monitor my cruise prices daily/weekly after I book the cruise initially and I jump on the savings faster than my agent. I emailed him ASAP when I saw the price drop so he was able to reflect that in my cruise price for my Alaska cruise.

And whatever questions I have on my upcoming cruise, I either contact the cruise line directly (they almost know me on a first name basis by now with my weekly/daily questions) or I ask my questions here at CC if the question is not cruise line specific. So for me, the extra service provided by a “personal” agent is not necessary.

But that is NOT to say it’s not necessary for you as you may be willing to pay that extra fee to receive whatever extra services you deem worthy. And in my initial post, I mentioned that for first timers, a mass market agency may not serve them well. They might be better off with a local TA or a cruise line travel planner (or whatever they are called) that is better in hand holding them through the cruising process..

Finally, your TA many not be able to discount anymore as they need to make certain profit on your booking and the other mass agencies may be able to undercut her prices. May not be a question of them not valuing you as a loyal customer.

Even if you don’t use this agent for this cruise, not to say you will never use her again in future sailings.

To be honest with you, Harry, you and I sound a lot alike. By the time I call my TA, I have already done all of my homework. I know the date, the ship, the specific cabins that I want, and I have already checked out the prices on numerous web sites. Most of the time, all she does is provide me with her price, and then I tell her to go ahead and make the reservation. I guess that that is why I am a bit upset with her right now. I do all of the work for her, yet she makes her commission and off we go. I think that I am out of luck for this cruise coming up in February, but will have to think long and hard about funneling my business her way in the future. :o

To be honest with you, Harry, you and I sound a lot alike. By the time I call my TA, I have already done all of my homework. I know the date, the ship, the specific cabins that I want, and I have already checked out the prices on numerous web sites. Most of the time, all she does is provide me with her price, and then I tell her to go ahead and make the reservation. I guess that that is why I am a bit upset with her right now. I do all of the work for her, yet she makes her commission and off we go. I think that I am out of luck for this cruise coming up in February, but will have to think long and hard about funneling my business her way in the future. :o

Between these cruise boards, Internet web searches and email access to all the cruise ships, cruise vacation booking can be a DIY (Do it yourself) project. Back in my first cruise in 1995, nobody could book any cruise directly with the cruise line. Everything had to be funneled through a TA. That’s no longer true and if you are a hands-on type of person, you can do it yourself and save on the commissions by looking for a mass market agency.

Just like buying from Home Depot – if you know what you are doing, you can save some money versus going to a local hardware store that will provide you the step by step service, but needs to charge you more for it as they have a different overhead structure.

It’s up to you to decide if your local agent is providing you the $125 worth of services compared to a mass market agent.

Archived