Transportation to Rome and Florence and non-ship excursions

flaming red

Hi out there,

We are doing RCCL Med. cruise in Oct. 09 and am in need of helpful advise for good tour operators for non-cruise ship excursions, I'm not impressed with the fact that RCCL doesn't offer line passes for Vatician museums in Rome, when time is so limited (1 day for each Naples-Amalfi Coast, Rome, Florence, Nice-French Rivera, Marseille.) I've checked out Viatour extensively, but no ship pick-up for tours in Rome or Florence.

Also, if anyone can provide information about transportation options and costs, to get fom the ports to Rome and Florence. And finally should we consider including stops while in route to these two cities? FYI we will not be going home from either location-we will be going back to Barcelona to fly home, and plan two days there before our sailing.

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic. If you go to the Ports of Call board for Italy, you'll find lots of helpful information on taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and from Livorno to Florence on your own. Also great recommendations for private tours -- but keep in mind, these aren't cheap in Europe.

Here's a link to the board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Also, go to the rol call for your sailing. There will be folks there trying to put together groups for independent tours. To find your roll call, go to the Roll Call section, find your cruise line, then your ship, and then the date of your sailing. EM

We were a group of 7 last October and we booked almost all private tours. www.ladolcevitatours.com - we have recommended them to others since and all have been very happy with their services.

Have a great time :)

Oh, I must add, we did a tour of Pompeii and drove the Amalfi Coast and afterwards we wished we had just chosen one activity for the day. Being pressed for time is not the best way to tour any area. Both were wonderful and I'm glad we got to see both, but limited time was just not the way.

Archived