How do you keep from 'snoozing' away your sea days?

We recently returned from the Freedom, and spent more time than we'd planned 'sleeping' during the sea days. DH is 47 and I'm 51, so we're not ready for a retirement centre, LOL. But, the gentle, tranquil, rocking motion of the ship does it every time. I'd all sorts of plans to attend the art auction, shopping lecture and even attempting the water slide. NOT!

There was a Disney Cruise Line commercial a few years ago which shows an old man 'snoring' away at the beach, on deck and at the spa. I don't want to be that type of cruiser.:(

How do you stay awake during sea days? (Now I'm starting to think like my DH, who thinks port-intensive cruises are the better way to go.)

Thanks!:)

Hi DisneyCruisers.

I know what you mean, but so sorry, I have no solution for you.

I too tend to fall asleep any time I stay still for more than ten minutes on ships. I drink three cups of coffee at dinner, then find myself nodding off indifferent0018.gifas soon as the lights go low at the show. Try to read a book in a lounger on the verandah and am snoring in minutes. indifferent0008.gif The motion of the ocean works better than Ambien.

If it's any help to know, I was once told that drowsiness when on a ship is really just a mild form of seasickness. Unfortunately taking any of the anti seasick pills will put most people to sleep even faster.

I get very little good quality sleep at home for many reasons. I love the sea days when we sleep and recharge our bodies.

BTW we are a good decade younger than the OP and do not feel like we waste our time doing what we like.

I think most cruisers find themselves napping during the day. Just plan your nap when there isn't anything you REALLY want to do and have a wake up call. There is nothing wrong with napping since you are up early for excursions and up late watching shows, in the sun and fresh air that we aren't used to. We tend to sit up at the bar and meet people and get talking so sleeping isn't in the mind all that much.

How do you stay awake during sea days? (Now I'm starting to think like my DH, who thinks port-intensive cruises are the better way to go.)

Thanks!:)

I set an alarm and make myself get up. I enjoy the nightlife, but I don't stay out 'til the crack of dawn. I don't want to sleep my vacation away. I can sleep at home! :D

I keep pretty normal hours even on the ship. In bed 10-11pm on most nights and up around 5-6am. I don't do daytime naps or I'd be all messed up on my sleeping. Easier for me to just stick to a pretty normal schedule.

I maintain my home routine a bit whilst on the ship...up at a decent hour (usually no later than 7am or so :( ), breakfast, do a bit of reading, enjoying the sea, spending some time on the balcony, journaling (this is a good way to pass time, keep up with what you've been doing and creating a bit of a memoir), mealtimes as usual, hit the gym in the afternoon/evening, then dinner in the dining room and whatever show is going on, maybe hit the martini or piano bar, and in bed by midnight or so.

That's not to say that if I am tired and I don't feel I have anything better to do that I won't take a nap for an hour or so, but there's no harm in that...so long as you are doing what you enjoy on your vacation, that's what is important! thumbsup.gif

I'm guessing if you are falling asleep easily during the day, it's your body saying "thanks for the time to relax!" Consider it one of the benefits of vacationing :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one though, DH and I felt so strange on our first cruise - napping so much!

On vacation, whether a cruise or land vacation (won't be taking many of them anymore), I'm up at the same time as home 6am or so, and not back into bed until after 2am. Took much to see and do while on vacation.

I can sleep at home.

We laughed about this same topic at dinner on our Alaska cruise last year.

It seemed like the naps were getting longer and longer on sea days.

We thought maybe they were pumping something into the air to make you sleepy!:eek:;) LOL

We kind of keep to our schedule.. We normally get up at least by 7-7:30am at home and go to bed any where from 11-11:30pm. We also take a nap at home. We do work, but we are lucky that we work from home.

We may change that schedule by a 1hr or so, but not by much.. I'm not the type of person that wants to stay in bed all day... But we are more "relaxed" with our schedule on sea days. :p When we do land vacations or doing a port day we tend to get up earlier.

Oh, I know I can sleep at home, my question was how do you KEEP from snoozing, or falling asleep?:p I guess everyone's body chemistry is different. I'll put it this way..the gentle rocking motion of the ship doesn't give me a burst of energy, it seems to make the pillow more inviting, LOL!

I enjoy sea day "cabin time" and sleeping late on sea days. Sometimes..we'll hunker down all day and tell the steward to not to bother just towels and ice.

In fact even on port days when we have to get up to "ENJOY..ENJOY" it kinda seems hurried to make a shore excursion etc. Sometimes it even feels like "work"...Be there a X time..must be back at X time..show up on time..get with group. Good for a day or so..but it's like an obligation.

But, then again...we get Balcony rooms and the room is so nice, room service..balcony..great view..sea days are the best.

I just don't feel the need to wake up early to do any caper's 'ship activity' in the morning...sleeping..relaxing..having breakfast on the balcony, a cocktail and just private time staying away from the lido crowd, the pool cluster, etc.

I'm not a morning person tho. YMMV.

Archived