Any tips on how to pack wine in luggage?

krikir

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to pack wine in your luggage to protect it from breaking? I know we are allowed 2 bottles of wine per person, so we thought we would bring some to cut the cost of buying drinks on the ship.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:)

I alwaus carry a lunch box .Insulated and sturdy .i bring back bottles and cups in it .Wrap each one in a T shirt .Make sure they are secure with no leeway for movement .Put it in a corner of the suitcase .It should be fine

I brought back 8 cups from alaska!!!

have worked in the past. If you're flying you need to pack it in your luggage but if driving just bring it in your carry on or an old liquor box from a past trip. Don't worry about the amount as they collect corkage charge in dining room but not for in cabin consumption.

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to pack wine in your luggage to protect it from breaking? I know we are allowed 2 bottles of wine per person, so we thought we would bring some to cut the cost of buying drinks on the ship.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!:)

Although it can be done, with weight limit restrictions on airlines, it is much easier and less stressful to make a stop when you arrive at the port to purchase wine and place it in your carry on bags.

If you must pack it, bubble wrap those bottles well and put them in several thicknesses of non leak plastic bags of some kind. They treat the luggage very rough, and wine bottles are something I would not be ready to pack because breakage could really ruin everything you take along, as well leak through to luggage underneath yours. Good Luck!

I wrap mine in bubble wrap, then put the bottle into a vacuum seal bag and vacuum seal it. Wrap in more bubble wrap and pack it in the middle of the lugguage around cloths. I vacuum seal it in case it breaks. That way nothing gets on your cloths and such. Granted, I have never had one break.

Although it can be done, with weight limit restrictions on airlines, it is much easier and less stressful to make a stop when you arrive at the port to purchase wine and place it in your carry on bags.

If you must pack it, bubble wrap those bottles well and put them in several thicknesses of non leak plastic bags of some kind. They treat the luggage very rough, and wine bottles are something I would not be ready to pack because breakage could really ruin everything you take along, as well leak through to luggage underneath yours. Good Luck!

I'm with TOTO. It's much easier for us to go find a wine shop between the airport and the port. No hassles with weight restrictions, or breaking bottles. The wine bottles would take up too much space that we need for our other bottles of adult beverages.:):)

At most domestic US ports, this isn't an issue. We have never left from an international port, so don't know if that would cause a problems

Thanks everyone for the advice. We will be coming in to New York from Canada, so we have to pack it in our luggage. Is there a possibility I could get it at the airport when we land? I have heard that princess reps are usually waiting for you right when you exit the baggage claim area?

No one has mentioned "Box Wine". This is a very convenient way to bring the equivilent of 4 bottles in your suitcase. Walmart sells an excellent box wine. I was floored to find out it cost $9.97 for the box (that is less then 2.50 for a bottle). I know you don't trust me that it is really good wine, but it is. The name is Oakleaf and it is delicious. I put it in between all my clothes in the suitcase, with a heavy plastic bag wrapped around it. I have never had a problem. Good luck.:rolleyes:

it's not worth trying to buy wine along the way. I don't know about Canad ian prices but guess that they are higher than on the ship. If Princess is providing transfers from airport to pier you won't be able to stop at Total Wine on the way to the ship. If you find a willing cohort on your roll call that is driving they could pick up your prepaid order and bring it to the ship. I think it's less trouble to just buy it on board or at the first port.

I don't know if this will work with wine, as my husband and I bought liquor in plastic bottles to pack on our checked luggage. But we bought diapers and wrapped the bottles with them. then applied the large ziplock baggies to both ends and duct taped them, packed them between the clothing. Worked for us!

No one has mentioned "Box Wine". This is a very convenient way to bring the equivilent of 4 bottles in your suitcase. Walmart sells an excellent box wine. I was floored to find out it cost $9.97 for the box (that is less then 2.50 for a bottle). I know you don't trust me that it is really good wine, but it is. The name is Oakleaf and it is delicious. I put it in between all my clothes in the suitcase, with a heavy plastic bag wrapped around it. I have never had a problem. Good luck.:rolleyes:

I totally agree the Oakleaf wine is delicious, bought it for our last cruies because I didn't want to carry alot of bottles and was very surprised and pleased at the taste. Got mine at Walmart also. :)

There are several nice brands of boxed wines now... Corbett Canyon is my favorite for traveling. The small box (3 liter) packs well. Remove the wine pouch from the box, and place pouch in a sealed zip-lock or two. Pack in center of checked luggage (if flying). No problem. It also fits better in the tiny fridge. ;)

It's much easier for us to go find a wine shop between the airport and the port. No hassles with weight restrictions, or breaking bottles.

If you find a willing cohort on your roll call that is driving they could pick up your prepaid order and bring it to the ship. I think it's less trouble to just buy it on board or at the first port.

Both of these posts are good advice. :)

But we bought diapers and wrapped the bottles with them. then applied the large ziplock baggies to both ends and duct taped them, packed them between the clothing.

Diapers work really well because they will absorb any liquid that leaks if the bottles break. :)

Archived