You guys look like fun, knowledgeable people--could use your help!

Jeafl

We are taking a cruise next June with extended family, 9 people all together. They range in age from my parents (mid 60's) to my kids, (all teenagers). Also my sister and brother in law, (late 40's) as well as my husband and I (very, VERY young 40's) :)

I am trying to book this catastrophe in the making, and I cannot make a decision on which cruise to save my soul. I thought I could solicit some opinions from you guys!

Here are the choices we narrowed it down to. All mid-June 2010.

Victory--southern caribbean, 7 ports in 7 days, no days at sea

Splendor--Mexican Riviera, 3 ports, 3 days at sea

Liberty--4 ports, 2 days at sea

Here is the problem. My parents just did the Mexican Riviera last September. They said they would go again if that's what everyone else wants to do, but they would prefer not to if given the choice. My sister is concerned about it being hurricane season in the caribbean, so she wants to do the Mexican Riviera to avoid being swept overboard by a hurricane. (insert rolling eyes here...)

My husband isn't sure about the Victory because there are no days at sea, and he likes days at sea. I told him that no one will hold a gun to his head and make him get off the ship in every port, but he said there will probably be no activities on board since everyone else will be in port. And besides, he likes the ports (WTH??)

My kids don't care where we go as long as there is at least one zip lining excursion in some port.

At this point, I don't care which cruise we take. I just don't want to hear about it if someone is unhappy. Of course they left the decision "totally up to me".

Does anyone care to try and make sense of this mess and help me out??

Of those, I would take the Liberty. nice balance of Ports and sea days (to rest up in between).

I was faced with a similar choice for this summer and ended up choosing the Freedom 8 day eastern caribbean. 5 ports, 2 sea days.

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes, especially in June. The ship can maneuver around them and its typically much worse of chance of hurricanes in August/September as the ocean water is warmer.

You've got too many choices. If you can eliminate one then you can have a vote, majority rules. Sounds too simple. Good luck

What I would do is choose the one I want, book that cruise and tell everyone if they want to join me come ooooon down. If they want to go somewhere else, that is their choice.

I'd go with the Liberty. We actually like to stay on the ship during port days, you can actually get a lounge chair, a discount at the spa, and the ship is much quieter. Don't you love the confidence the family has in your decision. That way they can sit back and let you take the heat.:rolleyes:

Any cruise is better than a day at work. Good luck and have fun. I agree June is not much of a hurricane risk, we have cruised in August and the ship will avoid the storm, you might not get to hit all the ports.

That's why when I organize a group... I make the decision on the cruise (with some input from my trusted advisors....)... and then I tell people where we're going... no debate. You don't want to come... don't come.

:)

You've answered your own question...if they've left the decision "totally up to" you, then the answer is clear, do the cruise you most want to do. My recommendation is stop catering to other's concerns and make yourself happy, since they clearly didn't want to the chore of deciding.

You can assuage your sister's concerns about hurricanes by having her do some research on how many big hurricanes have hit in the month of June...answer, not many, and as others have pointed out, tropical storms can be fairly easily avoided by the ship's captain.

As for zip-lining tours for the kiddos, those are almost always available at ports in the Caribbean with a mainland component (as opposed to island ports), based on my experience. As for ports every day vs. an occasional sea-day...you could go with the Liberty for a nice mix, but depending on who's been where, you may prefer more ports.

My goal is to always have at least two new ports on every cruise I take. Seven ports in seven days is a bit of a whirlwind tour of the S. Carib, but as other's (and you) have said, you don't have to get off at every port.

Good luck!

BTW, I am usually in charge of setting up a cruise for a large group annually (folks from all over the country, age ranges from 20-something to 60-something), so I feel your pain. I tend to go with the most fun itinerary for the most economical price tag! :D

Take away Mexico. I live in California and I will not go to Mexico!

Now the other two. You did not say where the Liberty went.

We love ports to snorkle and go to the beach. What does your family love to do?

I am going on the Victory Sept 2010. Lots of ports to do. We plan on going into port part of each day on some of the port days -stay on the ship. We love port days to stay on the ship. Sometimes it is just us in the pool or on some decks. We relax, read, play a game. It is wonderful!

Look at each port and see what there is to do.

I love Western Carib more than Eastern Carib because we love Grand Cayman to snorkle and the beach.

Good luck, ask more questions and we can help.

I see you are from Illinois. Something else to consider, assuming you are all flying to your departure port -

Long flight to Los Angeles - many options if flying in the day before. Very few options if you want to fly home the day you return, unless you are ok with arriving home in the middle of the night or staying overnight and flying out the next morning.

Much easier flying to Florida - many, many more options as you are not crossing time zones.

If Liberty departs from Miami, I suggest arriving the day before, stay at Port of Miami Holiday Inn and spend the evening at Bayside.

I'm really not feelin' Mexico these days, so that would be out. Plus your parents have been there so I say skip it.

I understand your husband wanting sea days. Even though you know you don't HAVE to get off the ship, you just can't pass up a port day. :cool:

The Liberty sounds great. And you don't hear about very many hurricanes in June.

Don't stress. Just book it and if anyone is unhappy, well they left it up to you. :)

Got to agree with TEMPLED. If I'm in charge then it's up to me and who doesn't like it - tough - they don't have to come. Have your travel agent check prices because if you have a group or he/she can put you in one you will benefit. Flying really matters to me and I probably choose based on that. I don't like to fly so the less the better. I wouldn't worry about hurricane season either like everyone says. Ten to one they're not going to cancel you and you're going someplace. Enjoy it.

I hate it when our group "leaves it up to me"... so I have always narrowed it down to 2 choices and left it up to a vote.. Then if you don't want to come, don't

For us, given your choices I would pick the Liberty... We have no desire to to do Mexico ( although we do have a Cozumel stop in upcoming)

Good luck & wherever you choose have a great time...

We are taking a cruise next June with extended family, 9 people all together. They range in age from my parents (mid 60's) to my kids, (all teenagers). Also my sister and brother in law, (late 40's) as well as my husband and I (very, VERY young 40's)

I am trying to book this catastrophe in the making, and I cannot make a decision on which cruise to save my soul. I thought I could solicit some opinions from you guys!

Too many ports for the "oldsters". Don't want grumpies (think inheritance) :D

This would be my choice. Newer ship, love Mexico, hurricanes are seldom a problem, but you have to fly anyhow so no advantage there like there is for me, "oldsters" don't care for the Mexican Riviera, but this time it would be on a newer ship and plenty of sea days. (think inheritance again) :D

Dislike Conquest Class ships, so no help here from me.:(

Here is the problem. My parents just did the Mexican Riviera last September. They said they would go again if that's what everyone else wants to do, but they would prefer not to if given the choice. My sister is concerned about it being hurricane season in the caribbean, so she wants to do the Mexican Riviera to avoid being swept overboard by a hurricane. (insert rolling eyes here...)

My husband isn't sure about the Victory because there are no days at sea, and he likes days at sea. I told him that no one will hold a gun to his head and make him get off the ship in every port, but he said there will probably be no activities on board since everyone else will be in port. And besides, he likes the ports (WTH??)

Was on the Victory TWICE, my cruisemate's choice. Wouldn't do it again. :( Plenty of sea days on the SPLENDOR. :rolleyes:

My kids don't care where we go as long as there is at least one zip lining excursion in some port.

I don't do excursions, sorry can't help.

At this point, I don't care which cruise we take. I just don't want to hear about it if someone is unhappy. Of course they left the decision "totally up to me".

This says it ALL. When you tell them your decision, start with, "Since you left the choice TOTALLY UP TO ME . . . . "

Does anyone care to try and make sense of this mess and help me out??

At least, I tried. :)

Take away Mexico. I live in California and I will not go to Mexico!

Now the other two. You did not say where the Liberty went.

Good luck, ask more questions and we can help.

Sorry about that! The Liberty leaves from Miami and hits Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk, plus 2 days at sea.

Loved the Liberty - very pretty ship and the ports sound great! I agree that the Victory would be too much - and personally I don't see the attraction of the mexican riviera in the summertime.

This way you get some really nice and exotic ports and some sea days to 'rest' up!

Go visit the 'ports of call' boards where you can find tons of activities and excursion recommendations for the ports in question!

Have fun!

Sounds like you are between and rock and a hard place. No matter what you decide someone may be grouchy about it. Thats why I hate committees. Good Luck

My feelings exactly. I have a group of maybe 15 friends who constantly ask me to "setup" a cruise for all of us. :rolleyes: The minute I mention a cruiseline, a ship, or a date, I get flack from someone that "can't make it", so I just said to hell with them, I'll just inform them when I'm going and if anybody wants to come here's the phone number to call. I book 3-5 days before the cruise, so this leaves few able to make the dates. :D

glrounds--can I ask what you disliked about the Liberty and Victory?

Its probably nothing to most, but I in general dislike the layout of CONQUEST Class ships, the old go up to go down when moving from the aft of the ship to the front after dinner. But basically I dislike the ENTIRE Lido Deck surrounded by glass and steel, never open to the sea. This class is basically, a DESTINY Class ship with added cabins squeezed in and NO ADDITIONAL PUBLIC SPACE, so it always "seems" to be crowded to me. This is just my personal opinion. (I'll probably get flamed to death) :rolleyes:

I prefer the SPIRIT Class since it has an aft Lido Deck entirely open to the sea with an adult pool and jacuzzi, a bar and just walk through the doors to the buffet, a double promenade deck, entertainment venues spread throughout the ship, and smaller.

Its entirely personal, I wouldn't give it much credence.

Archived