Information Overload

Aussietripper

We are experienced travellers ((aged 55-60), this will be our 3rd cruise (but first timers to Alaska/Canada) and I love to do lots of research. However, my brain feels like it is about to pop!! We are intending to do home exchange in Canada, then take a cruise up to Alaska where we will be doing home exchange in Kenai. Need to do the cruise early June 2010 to be in Kenai for the first salmon run (hopefully). We hope to also spend a few nights in Seward/Denali/Homer. Probably about 10-14 days in Alaska itself.

So here's the cruncher!! Considering - Radiance of the Seas (leaves Vancouver 4th June/Inside Passage/Ketchikan/Icy Strait/Juneau/Skagway/Hubbard Glacier/Seward) or Ryndam (leaves Vancouver 6th June/Inside Passage/Ketchikan/Juneau/Skagway/Glacier Bay/College Fjord/Seward. Intending to get aft balcony if possible and know Ryndam is getting a re-fit. Would love some opinions on which itinerary or ship you think is best.:confused:

Would love some opinions on which itinerary or ship you think is best.:confused:

Ryndham....does Glacier Bay and College Fjiord. These are awesome glacier venues that are fading fast....visit them while you can.

I will admit a bias for HAL (and Princess) who have been "doing" Alaska longer than any other cruise line. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice Thinfool - my thoughts are heading that way too and we like the smaller number of passengers on the Ryndam as well.

Was mainly undecided between Hubbard Gladier/Icy Straight versus Glacier Bay/College Fjord. Thought had crossed my mind that if the weather is unkind to us, then maybe there would be more to do at Icy Straight rather than 2 full days onboard. Will now compare pricing, but think they should be roughly the same.

Deciding between these two itineraries is really personal preference. Most people will likely respond based on the great memories from their past trips. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here since both look great.

Having done Glacier Bay and Hubbard itineraries, if we were to go again and only had these two choices I would go with the Hubbard/Icy Strait on the Radiance. My reasons: The Hubbard glacier dwarfs those seen in Glacier Bay. Since you plan on a post cruise trip to Kenai you may have time to take one of the long Kenai Fjords trips out of Seward, which will give you an additional opportunity for tidewater glacier viewing. You'll also be able to see Exit glacier in Seward and Mendenhall in Juneau. The Radiance has pretty liberal port times, which will provide a lot of flexibility for planning excursions. We've gone whale watching in numerous locations, east and west coasts, and none compares to our experience at Point Adolphus from Icy Strait Point.

Again, this is my PO and you'll hopefully hear other opinions to help you decide. I know that I always find this type of research helpful when planning my trips. In fact I find the research and planning to be almost as much fun as the trip itself!:D

Thanks for your input Kathy - really appreciate your opinion. It is always very interesting getting different opinions - eventually one or the other will become more desirable for our personal taste. Yes, it does look as if Radiance has more port time and yes, we will do the Kenai Fjords trip out of Seward. As far as the Ryndam goes, the cabins seems to be larger and she will just have come out from a re-fit, so that sounded good! But at the end of the day, the itinerary and experience of Alaska is what counts for us!

Archived