Debarkation

packard89

We have some friends that are begging us to go on the Fantasy with them Aug. 27th-31st. The problem is...August 31st is our sons 1st day of school and after being away from him for 4 days, we don't want to miss seeing him of to his 1st day of school. If we told Carnival that we have an emergency at home will they let us off the ship any earlier? (Yes, we plan on carrying off our own luggage.)

Thanks,

Kirsten

Your best plan is not to have too much luggage and to carry it off yourself at the regularly scheduled time for doing so which is nearly always very early. You don't owe the ship any explanations of why you want to carry off your own luggage.

You can do 4 days with carry on bags only so walking off should not be a big deal. Lots of people do it especially on a 4 day cruise. You will still have to go through customs and immigation but that is no big deal.

We have some friends that are begging us to go on the Fantasy with them Aug. 27th-31st. The problem is...August 31st is our sons 1st day of school and after being away from him for 4 days, we don't want to miss seeing him of to his 1st day of school. If we told Carnival that we have an emergency at home will they let us off the ship any earlier? (Yes, we plan on carrying off our own luggage.)

Thanks,

Kirsten

Earlier than the final day of the cruise or earlier on the last day ?

What on earth is debarkation? Taking the bark off the trunk of a tree? Removing a dog's bark?

Some use the word "disembarkation" to mean leaving a ship at the end of a cruise. Some use "debarkation" for the same meaning.

You don't need to make up a story to leave the ship early on the day of debarkation. No need to make up an "emergency" story. Just let them know you need to leave early. BUT, I don't know of any ship where you'll be leaving early enough to see a child off to school, unless your child is only starting half day kindergarten, and his start time is in the afternoon. But, if your child starts school in the morning, no way will you be off the ship in time to see him off. The earliest you will be able to leave is probably, if you're lucky, 8am. And by the time you get though Customs and find your transportation home, it will be quite a bit later.

If you want to leave the ship before the end of the cruise, that will not be allowed. You'll be violating the Jones Act and will be fined for that.

If his first day of school is the day you come back you won't be off the ship in time to see him off to school. The ship usually does not get to port until 8:00 am. He should be already at school by that time I would think. Personally I would stay home on that occasion. You also have to take into account that the ship has to go through customs before they let anyone off. That usally takes 30 min. or so right there.

Thanks for clearing up the meaning of debarkation, Lol. I wasn't sure if that was the correct term.

I do need to clarify 1 thing, and I'm embarrassed to say that my son is 13 years old, not in kindergarden. I've just never missed seeing him off to school on his 1st day. I'm lame....I know. His Aunt will be staying with him and I was hoping to be off of the ship and at his school by 8:30 to see him off real quick. So, I was really hoping to be walking off by 7:45.

Thanks for your input.

Some use the word "disembarkation" to mean leaving a ship at the end of a cruise. Some use "debarkation" for the same meaning.

You don't need to make up a story to leave the ship early on the day of debarkation. No need to make up an "emergency" story. Just let them know you need to leave early. BUT, I don't know of any ship where you'll be leaving early enough to see a child off to school, unless your child is only starting half day kindergarten, and his start time is in the afternoon. But, if your child starts school in the morning, no way will you be off the ship in time to see him off. The earliest you will be able to leave is probably, if you're lucky, 8am. And by the time you get though Customs and find your transportation home, it will be quite a bit later.

If you want to leave the ship before the end of the cruise, that will not be allowed. You'll be violating the Jones Act and will be fined for that.

After your ship arrives in port, it needs to be "cleared" by the port authorities. Then you may need to go through customs after you disembark.

I don't think you will make it off the ship before 8AM.

Believe me, if your son is 13, his first day of the school year is MUCH more important to you than him. There were plenty of times when my kids were pre-teens/teens and I was at work by the time they left for school. I don't think it was traumatic for either of us.

Go on your cruise, and you can greet your son when he comes home from his first day.

If his school is fairly close by have Auntie bring him down to see your ship before you are able to depart the ship. He can telephone you with his cell phone and you can chat. That way if you can't get off the ship in time, you have made contact and possibly waved at each other.

Auntie can take him to school and you will see him later in the day.

If his school is fairly close by have Auntie bring him down to see your ship before you are able to depart the ship. He can telephone you with his cell phone and you can chat. That way if you can't get off the ship in time, you have made contact and possibly waved at each other.

Auntie can take him to school and you will see him later in the day.

Why would auntie need to take him near the ship ? He can call from home to their cell phone just as easily ! Probably wouldnt even be able to get near the ship anyways due to security.

Thanks everyone for your input, I've read a few reviews on the Fantasy and several people said that they started self assisting as early as 7:00 a.m., as long as I am walking off the ship by 7:45, I will be ok. So...I think we're going to go ahead and book.

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your input, I've read a few reviews on the Fantasy and several people said that they started self assisting as early as 7:00 a.m., as long as I am walking off the ship by 7:45, I will be ok. So...I think we're going to go ahead and book.

Thanks again

Keep in mind that the web site indicates that the ship is scheduled to arrive in New Orleans at 8:00am. It generally takes customs at least 30 minutes to clear the ship to allow people to begin debarking - and that is if everything goes right. It is not uncommon for customs be delayed for one reason or another. By all means book the cruise if you want to, but realize it is a long shot you will be home in time to see your child off to school.

Archived