Sunscreen for Scalp

Froggy,

I live in southern Maine and have seen spray esp for scalp with other sunscreen products at the Walmart and grocery stores. I'm sure they are not greasy. Honestly, a hat will save you the trouble. I have blonde hair with a part and I've found that wearing a hat is most benefitial.

Use a facial sunscreen...they are more like a facial lotion---not greasy at all. If you are bald, any kind of sunscreen will do. If you're worried about the part in your hair, pull it straight back so there is no scalp showing! Works every time!

It protects your hair from damaging sun, or your scalp from damaging sun, and your ears which hardly anyone ever thinks about covering with sunscreen or getting sunburned. DH has had part of one ear removed because of melanoma just because he always wore only a baseball style cap - or worse yet, no hat. He now wears a floppy hat that covers his head and ears. and yes, he may look dorky, but at least he won't get sunburned.

Just think how tiny your ears are and how painful it would be to have a needle stuck in it to numb it while removing part of it:eek: Isn't that enough to make you want to wear a hat?

Check your local drug store for sunscreen developed for faces - like most face lotions they are made to be non greasy. I can not remember the brand - but a friend who played beach volleyball use a water proof sunscreen for faces that resisted running off due to sweat. Competitive volleyball is not an activity that allows you to wear a hat.

I have several friends and family members who are concerned about more of their scalp being exposed as the years go by;) - and it has worked well for them. Don't forget to apply liberally to the ears, behind the ears, and around your neck. A cousin learned the hard way how quickly those areas can burn.

I think with just a little time reading labels you will find one. Good luck.

I am very fair haired and my hair is not very thick, so I have a lot of scalp exposed to the sun unless I'm wearing a hat. The very best sunscreen for hair/scalp I have found is made by Arbonne. It's a pump spray and does NOT make your hair greasy at all. It's a bit more expensive but it is well worth the cost.

I've tried salon sunscreens and they were too heavy for fine hair, but this one is just right. It also protects your hair which is great if you've invested in colour!

I just one from Banana Boat that is a liquid spray, looks like a hair spray bottle. I am fair skinned so my scalp and ears burn fast. I use this when going to the race track for the day and haven't had any problems. I pour some into a small spray bottle for travel.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but thought I would share in case someone else is searching the same topic.

"Sundition" is great for the scalp. It's no greasy to your hair too. You can only get it online.

Archived