Passport card question and Bermuda cruise

sunryz710

I asked specifically if a passport was needed for our cruise to Bermuda from Boston. I was told YES. We have had passports since 2002...so we are all set. We had some other people interested in going with us....so I wanted to make sure what the answer was.

So....I guess there is alot of varying info out there.

Same here. I asked our TA if our daughter needed one and was told yes.

Although I will say when I did our on-line check-in, these were the choices for proof of citizenship

• Passport
  • State Issued Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Report of Birth Abroad

Here's what Carnival says :

What is the required travel documentation for all ports (excluding Europe)?spacer.gifTRAVEL DOCUMENTATION - all ports

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of immigration requirements.

CRUISE TRAVEL

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

Recent guidance received from the Department of Homeland Security indicates the documentary requirements under WHTI for “closed loop” cruises are not limited to cruises that travel only to contiguous territories or adjacent islands. This means U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card, Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

I *made* my BF get a passport last Fall for our upcoming cruise because it was *suppose* to be a law by then... Two cruises later and one coming soon, you still don't *need* it.

He never lets me forget the money he spent getting it "for no reason". :rolleyes:

I *made* my BF get a passport last Fall for our upcoming cruise because it was *suppose* to be a law by then... Two cruises later and one coming soon, you still don't *need* it.

He never lets me forget the money he spent getting it "for no reason". :rolleyes:

Blame it on the government. They're the ones who made the rule changes. ;) You were probably right at the time.

So now what are going to do with the contradictory (read incorrect) information provided by a first time poster?

You have information from the government. You said NCL's wording is unclear. How about RCI? I just went to their Web site, and here's what they say: (I just took the Closed Loop Cruise paragraph as it's a long page)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000Nt9HhEHAgqgG-TdhsnEXWuy:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Guess what? It's the same as what the government says. [red]The same as NCL[/red]. If you look it up on Carnival's site they'll tell you the same thing.

I want you to think long and hard about why I was offended by what you said.

So why are you bring RCI into this? I choose not to respond any further since it's pointless to get you to understand my concerns. I asked anyone recently completing a Bermuda cruise to respond. I have never solicited any information from you.

PS It's not the same as NCL's wording:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska (SEATTLE), Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

So why are you bring RCI into this? I choose not to respond any further since it's pointless to get you to understand my concerns. I asked anyone recently completing a Bermuda cruise to respond. I have never solicited any information from you.

PS It's not the same as NCL's wording:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska (SEATTLE), Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=PassportRequirements

It's not verbatim the same as NCL's wording, it MEANS the same thing NCL's wording does. I brought RCI, and later Carnival into it because because they all confirm what I've said and all conform to what the government says. ALL THE CRUISE LINES ARE SUBJECT TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT RULES.

I don't understand your problem. The first thing I cited was the US government's Web page that explains it. How much more documentation do you need?

According to NCL's website, you do need a passport:

the WHTI is the passport card.

It's not verbatim the same as NCL's wording, it MEANS the same thing NCL's wording does. I brought RCI, and later Carnival into it because because they all confirm what I've said and all conform to what the government says. ALL THE CRUISE LINES ARE SUBJECT TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT RULES.

I don't understand your problem. The first thing I cited was the US government's Web page that explains it. How much more documentation do you need?

I DON'T NEED OR HAVE EVER ASKED FOR YOU DOCUMENTATION! GOT IT! :mad:

Try reading my first reply to this topic:

I'm with njhorseman on this. However, I wish someone recently off a Bermuda cruise would chime in and confirm.

I need an answer before my June of '10 cruise.

Do you see anywhere where I asked for your assistance posting Government rules? I agree with rules already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want a reply from someone who has returned from Bermuda on a closed loop cruise. Guess what? It ain't you so quit wasting your time.

I DON'T NEED OR HAVE EVER ASKED FOR YOU DOCUMENTATION! GOT IT! :mad:

Try reading my first reply to this topic:

I'm with njhorseman on this. However, I wish someone recently off a Bermuda cruise would chime in and confirm.

I need an answer before my June of '10 cruise.

Do you see anywhere where I asked for your assistance posting Government rules? I agree with rules already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want a reply from someone who has returned from Bermuda on a closed loop cruise. Guess what? It ain't you so quit wasting your time.

I understand. I frequently value the statement of someone I don't know who has posted anonymously on the Internet over the explanation of the federal government agency that made the rules governing the situation and confirmation of same from three of the world's largest cruise lines that have an obligation to ensure said rules are followed by their passengers.

My neighbor to the east is correct, no passport is needed for closed loop travel by U.S. citizens to the Western Hemisphere.

The passport card is good for land travel between Canada and Mexico (we have two borders nj :D). It also works for closed loop cruises.

DHS made a specific finding that closed loop cruise ship travel represents a low risk and that is why they made the exception. Unfortunately exceptions are confusing to everyone. I've even heard of government employees giving the wrong answer (gasp!).

If you have the money and travel once a year outside the country on closed loop travel or other travel then it's probably not a bad idea to obtain a passport. If you are only going to cruise once and you never travel outside of the country then a passport would probably be a waste of money.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable for a cruise to Bermuda?

My mom, sister and I are cruising to Bermuda in October.

My mom and I own passports, my sister doesn't have one..

She hardly travels and would like to save money by getting a passport card over a true passport.. will it work?

I have a passport card. On the back it says, Valid for international land and sea travel between United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Don't know if I really need it for my cruise to Bermuda, but I got it anyways.

Thank you for reassurance. You facts are helpful. I got my passport but we're having trouble w/ one persons. It should be cleared up soon but my cruise is paid for and it made me nervous even though it is not until 2010:D

Archived