Where NOT in Ft Lauderdale ???

RichNY

A group of us are looking for infomation on hotels to avoid for our pre and post cruise stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions on where to saty would be greatly appreciated. We would prefer to spend less than $150...:) ...and we will need 4 rooms.:D

Thanks.

Do NOT book anything on State Road 84 (SR84) ;)

Try to stay at any of the fine hotels on 17th Street, ie Embassy Suites, Marriott Marina, Rennaisance, Hyatt Pier 66, Amerisuites and Holiday Inn Express

Familiarize yourself with biddingfortravel.com then bid on priceline. I used it for the very first time for a hotel pre and post cruise in FLL in April (15 & 24 -- spring break week for me) We got the Marriott Marina for $74 each night. Thier website listed rooms for $260/nt so I'm very pleased.

A group of us are looking for infomation on hotels to avoid for our pre and post cruise stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions on where to saty would be greatly appreciated. We would prefer to spend less than $150...:) ...and we will need 4 rooms.:D

Thanks.

OK, even tho you are a Yankee Fan, I'll do my best to help you out. :D

I booked 2 rooms for April, 2005 using Princeline.com and received the Marriott Marina at $80 per room + tax. I put in 3* Fort Lauderdale Downtown, I think the only other alternative to this is Embassy Suites, and I would have been happy with that choice.

I think I have seen others get 4 rooms at one time. Remember it goes right on YOUR credit card immediately.

Let us know how you make out.

When are you cruising? That will make a difference in the price. :)

GO PATS!

Thanks for all the suggestions..If we could get into the Marriott Marina that would be great...We will need rooms for 4/16/05 and 4/23 & 4/24. We'll be on the Jewel of the Seas.

Northender thanks for the "shot"..LOL..some of my best friends and traveling companions are Pats & BoSox fans...and I still like them...:D I'll check with the rest of the gang.

Any opinion on the BW Marina & Yacht Club ???

Its a Marriott property which is a plus. Marriott properties tend to be pretty consistant. Located next to I95 off of Stirling. Don't think its within walking distance to shopping or restaurants but you'd be a short cab ride from anything you need. ;)

This Marriott Courtyard is brand new http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=FLLHT , see if the rates work for you.

Have you considered ocean front on Hollywood Beach? Its a well kept secret that too many people overlook.

Any opinion on the BW Marina & Yacht Club ???

We were going to stay there pre-cruise, but her many bad reviews and decided against it. We got the Hyatt Pier 66 for $95.00 for one night prior to our cruise in January. 4* rating on Priceline and received mostly good reviews. You get the smaller lania building, but it is right at the pool and marina area.

Thanks for all the help..It looks like we are changing plans...

First , for our arrival day someplace clean and cheap. Some of our flights wont get in untill 3pm so we wont be spending too much time there, one night.

Then on the return, 2 nights at someplace better. With any luck we can PL the Pier 66 or the Marriott Marina...We'll put a plan together after the New Year....

I am echoing the bad reviews for Best Western Marina. Stayed there in 1996 and it was bad and have read posts on Cruise Critic that indicate that it is even worse now.

We've stayed at Spring Hill Suites near the FLL airport and it was fine. They have transportation to the port. Just sign up as early as you can.

The new Courtyards looks great.

The new Holiday Inn looks nice, it should its brand new. What exists now on SR84 are a lot of day rooms and hourly rooms etc. Plenty of Pawn shops nearby if you need cash. Lots of check cashing places as well. ;)

Last time I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Stirling Rd and it was very nice. It's a typical Hampton Inn w/ Continental Breakfast and business type rooms. There's a very large Comfort Inn that shares the driveway and there were a lot of cruise passengers staying there and they were all saying that it was nice also. Both hotels are within walking distance of a few shopping centers that have a kmart, ross, walgreens and things like that... a few fast food places and both hotels have free transportation to the pier. You just have to let the front desk know.

Around 1999 my family had their sailboat docked at a marina in this area and sometimes we'd stay around that area because we didn't want to sleep on the boat that night. It's sorta an "iffy" area, like many parts in Fort Lauderdale it's sorta a mixed bag type of neighborhood. What I can tell you is that behind those hotels is the citrus isles neighborhood which are all high-end homes on all deep water canals and beautiful homes so again, it's mxed bag. Little Red's Diner is a mom and pop place and the food is actually some of the best for diner food in the area and frequented by a lot of airport staff as your so close to the airport. I would feel comfortable staying in one of the major chain hotels in this area, but at night if your out wandering around then you'll definately be spotted as a tourist and more vulnerable to whatever. If your driivng around in a car then I see no problems. Not meaning this is a high crime area, just advising you its a mixed bag area and its usually easy to tell who the tourists are. Hint: the ones with tans and white sandels while the rest of us have on winter clothes :) Menina

Do NOT book anything on State Road 84 (SR84) ;)

I was wondering why?... At present I am booked at the new Holiday Inn located on #84.

Thanks

win dixie is there and I believe a walgreens with a liquor store if I'm not mistaken. going to try and smuggle some liquor on the ship, huh! :)

Does anyone know if there is a grocery/liquor store near the new Holiday Inn Express on State Road 84?

RichNY, my Yankee fan buddy - don't know if you have picked a hotel up yet, but if you go to the Pompano area, stay away from Paradise Beach Resort.

Not very nice place. Just came back from that so called resort, and would NEVER stay there again.

Adele - A Certified Member of

The Red Sox Nation

We are staying at the Sheraton Airport for our pre-cruise. I understand they don't have a shuutle from hotel to pier but do have one from airport to hotel.:confused: And the cab fare is real cheap. I have also read where there isn't much around there, but we get in late anyway, about 7:30 pm, so just mainly need some place to stay over night.:) I got two rooms for $50 a piece. I thought this was really a good deal.:D :eek:

Delores

Archived