Le Havre D-Day tours

We will be on the Crown sailing on 8/24/09 and we notice the D-Day Beach tours through Princess is sold out. We find alterantives, i.e., "BattleBus", but they leave out of Bayeux two hours away and won't pick you up in La Havre. Has anyone found an alternative tour outside Princess that leaves from Le Havre or are we stuck with a taxi setting our own tour?

thanks

Bill

We will be on the Crown sailing on 8/24/09 and we notice the D-Day Beach tours through Princess is sold out. We find alterantives, i.e., "BattleBus", but they leave out of Bayeux two hours away and won't pick you up in La Havre. Has anyone found an alternative tour outside Princess that leaves from Le Havre or are we stuck with a taxi setting our own tour?

thanks

Bill

My husband and I are also looking for D-Day Beaches tours. If you find something and are interested in sharing, let us know.

Best,

Cynthia

Have you checked out the Roll Call for your cruise ?

It is a good way to share the cost of private tours

I came across these tour guides might be something you are looking for

Not sure if they pick up at the port

http://www.normandytownandcountry.com/d-day-beaches/

http://www.normandy-battlefields.org/tours.html

http://www.westcapades.com/index2.htm

http://www.best-of-france.net/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=D-day_normandy_landing_beaches&type=2&code_lg=lg_us

Thanks. I will contact the providers you sent the links for and inform the board of anything positive I find out.

Thanks

Please report back we are going next July so it will be good to know which one will pick you up at the port

Lyn

We just used Colin McGarry.....He was fantastic! He has a mini van that will accommodate up to 8 people very comfortably. He is very flexible as to how long you want to stay at each site.

You would want to contact Overlord Tours. We were on Crown Princess June 25 sailing and enjoyed the tour of my life with them. I will get the web site and post it here for you. I'm telling you that I still get chills thinking about that day and that tour. Fabulous.

We had the most amazing tour of the Normandy area provided by Alain Chesnel, the owner of Overlordtour. It was like a history lesson came to life. His passion and depth of knowledge are limitless and his preparation, presentation and war memorabilia are beyond compare. I would enthusiastically recommend Alain and his company to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I should say all of your reviews are quite interesting and so much detailed. I was part of a group last month from le havre then cherbourg. Tours gave me opportunities visiting mont st michel just like dday beaches? All that i can say is all those local tour cies are offering some good prices, but still quite expensive. I mean a minibus daytour for 4-6 adults at 720€ is a too expensive !! we found a tour cie ready to do it from 500€ for precisely same services and a so great english-sp driver who used scenic routes and a comfortable minivan. you still can try them, they are westcapades , i mean their website is http://www.westcapades.com .fabulous trip!!

I should say all of your reviews are quite interesting and so much detailed. I was part of a group last month from le havre then cherbourg. Tours gave me opportunities visiting mont st michel just like dday beaches?

Did you do the Canadian Dday sites?

DH would like to see those places

We had the most amazing tour of the Normandy area provided by Alain Chesnel, the owner of Overlordtour. It was like a history lesson came to life. His passion and depth of knowledge are limitless and his preparation, presentation and war memorabilia are beyond compare. I would enthusiastically recommend Alain and his company to anyone.

My experience was exactly the same. It was the best tour ever. Our guide was Oliver and he was outstanding. We did meet Alain and made our reservations with him. I can't imagine anyone doing a better tour than Overlordtours. I have friends going and they have booked for next month. I wouldn't wait. I think that they only have the two vans. Don't miss this one. It is so personal and interesting. We LOVED it.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks

Please report back we are going next July so it will be good to know which one will pick you up at the port

Lyn

I would highly recommend Eric with Normandy Town and Country. http://normandytownandcountry.com/ Vehicle was very roomy and comfortable. Eric is very knowledgeable. We really enjoyed our day with him last year. Hate to have to suggest you provide a nice tip if you enjoy your day. Eric drives about 1 1/2 to pick you up at the port in the morning and then after your full day, has to drive 1 1/2 hours home.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Le Havre from the Constellation on Sept. 6 and we did a tour of the Canadian beaches with Overlord Tours and our guide was Stephane. We had a fabulous tour. He picked us up from the ship at 8.00 am and brought us back at 7.30p.m. We covered a lot of places and he was so knowledgeable, and had maps, pictures etc. I would recommend this company to anyone. Worth every penny!!!

We were in Le Havre from the Constellation on Sept. 6 and we did a tour of the Canadian beaches with Overlord Tours and our guide was Stephane. We had a fabulous tour. He picked us up from the ship at 8.00 am and brought us back at 7.30p.m. We covered a lot of places and he was so knowledgeable, and had maps, pictures etc. I would recommend this company to anyone. Worth every penny!!!

Thanks for the info

Can you give me an idea of the cost?

Lyn

Lyn, It cost us 650 euros for the van which they say would seat 8 but I would say it would seat 6 comfortably. We went with four and it was a great day! The price pp is very comparable to any ship tours and of course they don't go to the Canadian sector. Of course at this price they pick you up at the ship. Chris

Lyn, It cost us 650 euros for the van which they say would seat 8 but I would say it would seat 6 comfortably. We went with four and it was a great day! The price pp is very comparable to any ship tours and of course they don't go to the Canadian sector. Of course at this price they pick you up at the ship. Chris

Thanks for the info

I was quoted 800 E for the Canadian tour so I guess I will be shopping around ;)

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot say enough about Eric with Normandy Town and Country tours. My husband and two sons, ages 19 and 12 spent the day with him in July. We were also sailing on the Crown Princess.

Eric picked the up at the port and took them on the American Highlights D-Day tour.

When we rejoined them at the end of the day, all three were talking over each other trying to tell me the stories they heard.

They absolutely loved Eric. My 19 year old said he's never met anyone with more knowledge on a beloved subject. They raved about Eric's passion, knowledge, the stories he told and his skill telling them, even the lunch they stopped to pick up. :-)

Eric had them hustling all day. They visited Utah and Omaha beaches (where Eric drew pictures in the sand as they looked at the very places he was talking about), a museum, the American Cemetery (where they were deeply moved by "God Bless America" and "Taps"), various monuments (maintained by the locals which touched my husband deeply), etc. etc.

This was their favorite day of our 3 1/2 week trip. And I literally have not seen my three men this animated after any other experience.

I would book with Eric of Normandy Town and Country Tours without a moment of hesitation.

I cannot say enough about Eric with Normandy Town and Country tours.

You need to book them early.

I tried to book for next July ... already booked

That is the trouble with a small operation & recommendations on CC;)

Lyn

Archived