flying to Ft. Lauderdale- sailing Miami question

Joie

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale, having one night before our cruise, sailing the Liberty out of Miami. My question is which do you prefer to do...stay in Ft. Lauderdale and go Miami the next day or go directly to Miami and stay there? We are a family of 4 and would like the most economical way to do this. right now we have the Holiday Inn Port of Miami booked at $208 for the night.

i know alot of people fly into Ft. Lauderdale and sail from Miami...so any input is appreciated.

We just got back from the Liberty a few weeks ago. We flew into FLL and stayed two nights at the Biscayne Bay Marriott in Miami.

When we cruise out of FLL we stay at the Hyatt Place in FLL, close by to shops and restaurants, etc. Usually get a fairly good rate.

I personally prefer staying in FLL, but we were with a group and so transportation and hotel were pre arranged and in Miami. Our TA had arranged everything and the transportation person did a great job picking us up, then taking us to the ship, then getting us again after the cruise and taking us to FLL airport

If I had my choice without a doubt I would spend my time in FLL.

As I said above our TA handled our transportation this past cruise with a private company.

You could check that out or check with the hotel to find the most economical way to get there.

If you don't mind staying in Miami it would probably be cheaper to stay somewhere there that has a free shuttle.

We just happen to like the ports of FLL and Canaveral a lot better than Miami:)

i don't think there are ANY free shuttles to Miami. I have not come across any hotel that will do that.

We used "GO" shuttle from the airport on the last trip and I believe it was $80 for the 4 of us.....airport to hotel door.

$208 per night is that for 2 rooms? If not, that's pretty high. Should be able to book a room for half that.

Transportation: Southwest always has the cheapest airfare for us, so we're always flying into FLL and cruising our of POM. The cheapest (oops sorry, the most economical) transportation bill I've been able to come up with is renting a car. I use Dollar rental and spend $52 total ($35 plus tax and fees) for a day, by using the promo code KISSE. I have one rented for October 23rd. It would be cheaper but there's a $10 fee for return it to the Miami airport. The Dollar at Miami airport has free shuttle service to POM. [Word of caution, the car return location at MIA is hard to find, make sure you have great directions]. June 2008 there was some construction and it took me 45 minutes to find it, and I had been there 5-6 times before. And, if you ask the 1-800 person on the phone they don't know about the free shuttle service to POM. Trust me they do, I've used 3 times already. Once you find the car return return, you'll be on a shuttle and at the port in about 20-30 minutes.

In addition to this being the cheapest, you have the luxury of having a car to sightsee or go whereever you want. Also gives you more options for hotels. As far as where to stay, if you want to do South Beach then stay in Miami, otherwise I prefer to stay in Ft Lauderdale. I've also read there are some nice places south of Miami that are nice, but I haven't been down there.

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale, having one night before our cruise, sailing the Liberty out of Miami. My question is which do you prefer to do...stay in Ft. Lauderdale and go Miami the next day or go directly to Miami and stay there? We are a family of 4 and would like the most economical way to do this. right now we have the Holiday Inn Port of Miami booked at $208 for the night.

i know alot of people fly into Ft. Lauderdale and sail from Miami...so any input is appreciated.

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami is fine for those on a budget and the location can't be beat! It's directly across from Bayside Marketplace and the entrance to the Port of Miami.

If you're sailing from Miami and flying into Ft. Lauderdale it's easiest/cheapest to get a shuttle from FLL straight to your hotel in Miami. Most on here use and like SAS... http://www.ridesas.com/

You can walk across the street from the Holiday Inn to Bayside for shopping and dining, then in the morning just take a cab to the port, it's very close and a cheap cab ride.

The $208 is for the Holiday Inn Bayside. We have stayed there 2 other times and LOVE the location. Like you said we just walk across the street, and have all kinds of stuff to do at night. We always fly in the day before.

I will look up the SAS and see about that.

Renting a car is out.....they also charge for parking so it wouldn't be any cheaper for us, and since we only walk across the street for dinner and shopping with music at night then we really don't need the car.

I was just wondering IF when you stay in FFL for the night, how do you get to the Port the next day? ( without a rental I mean)

Renting a car is out.....they also charge for parking so it wouldn't be any cheaper for us, and since we only walk across the street for dinner and shopping with music at night then we really don't need the car.

What renting a car does is enables you to stay anywhere between FLL and Miami, so you can check for hotel deals in spots that are less convenient to the airports/cruise ports (which always carry a price premium). Same for dinner and shopping. It's a matter of weighing the pros/cons of each option, and deciding what's the most important to you.

Where did you get your price from? They have rooms for $136 . I would ask them about that rate. Might be the time you are going as to the price difference.

The price is a larger room for the 4 of us, and it's for April 2010.

We've stayed there before and love the location. Lots of things going on across the street at Bayside, with food, drinks, shopping, and music. And when you wake up in the morning you can see your ship sitting there waiting for you.......

• 1 month later...
The Holiday Inn Port of Miami is fine for those on a budget and the location can't be beat! It's directly across from Bayside Marketplace and the entrance to the Port of Miami.

You can walk across the street from the Holiday Inn to Bayside for shopping and dining, then in the morning just take a cab to the port, it's very close and a cheap cab ride.

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a place to stay for months now. This looks perfect!!

Archived