Bare what? (cosmetics)

Jane110

I've been reading with great interest about the Bare Essentials foundation but never tried it.

Today, I was in a store with a friend and saw a similar product called La Bella Donna. Same concept, a lot more money. So I asked the salesperson the difference between her product and BE and she says her line has broader range of colors and her product does not have mica in it (which gives a silvery finish). I bought a jar and will test it tomorrow.

However, now I had to learn all about this concept and did a websearch so I know a lot more, but still have questions for those of you already into this kind of make-up.......

First, my search gave me two products similiarly named - one is called Bare Essentials and the other is called Bare Escentials (& the label on the product is then called i.d. bare minerals).

Then my search brought me to another product, which looked great, called Mineral Secrets.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences on these companies and the products.

All the companies tout how wonderful your skin will look, how the product won't fade, etc. but them one of them goes on to try to sell you a "mineral veil". If the product gives you such a flawless look, why would you need a mineral veil on top of it?

Lastly, I saw the "kabuki" brush on all the websites for $28, but someone on Ebay was selling it for $10. - but the photo showed it wrapped in cellophane. Anyone know if it's the same size as the $28. one? The one wrapped in plastic seemed to have shorter bristles, but it's hard to tell under wraps.

Thanks.

Jane

I too am interested in La Bella Donna mineral makeup. I have tried emailing them about their products but it comes back as undeliverable. As for BE, I believe the correct spelling is Bare Escentuals, the (ss) version is just a typo. I really wanted to like BE but I just couldn't get a shade for my skin, they were either too pink or too orange, even the warm and cool shade mixes such as 2.3 were wrong for me. I also was unsure of the unnatural sheen.

La Bella Donna interests me but it is a lot pricier than its mineral makeup competitors. Unless there are ways of sampling it before purchasing it I will be giving it a wide berth. The beauty of the big cosmetic companies such as Bobbi Brown and Lancome is that they will give you generous samples to try before laying out big dollars. And I love the fact that if you buy one of their products and find you don't like it after all, they will refund your money without question.

Seagulls,

I bought the Belle Donna in Bergdorf's, which means that they likey sell it in Neiman Marcus if there's one near you. So contact them instead of Bella Donna. Maybe they'll send you a sample of a few colors for you to try?

I used it today and I like it alot. I bought the palest shade. However, I have no doubt that if I didn't like it, I'd get a full refund. That's one of the perks of buying high end items in a quality store.

Jane

I have used BE for a few years, and like it very much. QVC carries a very good selection, and even offers "try me" kits.

I recently tried Laura Geller cosmetics, also from QVC. Her foundation is a pressed powder in a compact, and I have found that is it not as messy as BE. I use a foundation powder and an all over color called Bronze and Brighten.

It evens my skin and the bronze powder gives a nice color, not that orange false tan you may think of when using a bronzer. Hope that helps.

I too am interested in La Bella Donna mineral makeup. I have tried emailing them about their products but it comes back as undeliverable. As for BE, I believe the correct spelling is Bare Escentuals, the (ss) version is just a typo. I really wanted to like BE but I just couldn't get a shade for my skin, they were either too pink or too orange, even the warm and cool shade mixes such as 2.3 were wrong for me. I also was unsure of the unnatural sheen....

Seagulls, you might want to try mixing your BE with the BE Mineral Veil. One of my very dear friends is African-American. She, too, couldn't find the right BE shade for her skin until she tried mixing it with the Mineral Veil. Viola -- she now has the perfect shade for her skin. HTH

Lisa :)

The Mineral Veil is to dust on top of the foundation to set it. In addition, it is supposed to create the illusion of softness. Kind of like being photographed with gauze in front of the lens. Alas, it does not cut down on the sheen.

There seems to be quite a few companies now manufacturing these Mineral cosmetics. I wonder if, in time, they will outsell traditional creams?

I've been using the La Bella Donna for the past 3 days and I like it very much. The jar I got will probably last 3-4 months, so at that time I'll make a decision as to whether I switch back to liquid or stay with it.

But as far as the mineral veil not cutting down on the sheen........well, I guess you're referring to the "silvery finish" that the mica creates in the BE products. Bella Donna has no mica, so there's no sheen.

I *think* BE is sold at Sephora. Next time I walk past one I'll check and if they do, I'll try the mineral veil. Right now I'm happy with the look I'm getting from Bella Donna - but if Mineral Veil makes it even better, I'll buy it.

So, still no one know if the kabuki brush sold on Ebay is the same as the one BE sells???

Jane

The best brush for applying minerals is the Luscious Kabuki...it is made out of goat....yes I said goat !!! It is the softest brush it feels like mink !!!

I honestly believe minerals are a girls best friend...

Be careful when purchasing a finishing powder for minerals, I love one that does not have cornstarch in it...

I *think* BE is sold at Sephora. Next time I walk past one I'll check and if they do, I'll try the mineral veil. Right now I'm happy with the look I'm getting from Bella Donna - but if Mineral Veil makes it even better, I'll buy it.

So, still no one know if the kabuki brush sold on Ebay is the same as the one BE sells???

Jane

Some Sephora locations do sell BE. I purchased my original try me kit at the Sephora at Downtown Disney, Anaheim, CA for $60. It contained 3 brushes (which right there made it worth the money!) plus a DVD and 4 different containers of the mineral cosmetics- two foundation shades, "Warmth" and Mineral Veil. I was hesitant to purchase a large size of a particular shade worried that if it didn't work out, I'd have sunk in the money for nothing (as I don't live near this location or any store that sells BE and can return to), so this was an excellent option for me to try out their products and now I have cute little travel sized containers. The Sephora in Aladdin Las Vegas did not carry BE when I was there earlier this month but the employee I asked said they expected to start carrying it sometime in the new year.

As far as the Kabuki brush, I couldn't say. I gather there is more than one brand. For me, getting a $28 brush in a $60 kit was the way to go, but if you're not using BE, you may not want to spend $60 for the kit with other items in it.

The luscious kabuki brush from Forever Minerals runs 21.00...they have samples of foundation for 2.00 that includes the shipping...the best thing about minerals is that you can blend 2 shades together to get a perfect match...try doing that with liquid foundation...

I wore BE for 4 years prior to changing to Forever...it became my saving grace 2 years ago...

I live in CA and work at a place called ULTA that sells cosmetics, hair products, and frangrances among many other things. I don't know if any of you have heard of ULTA but they do sell Bare Essentials.

Bare essentials, Bare escentuals, and bare minerals are all the same thing and they are awesome.

The mineral veil is actually something you apply last to give yourself the soft skin natural look. There is no sheen to it. It is not something you have to have if you want to keep your cost down.

La Bella Donna still interests me. I will be in Ft Lauderdale a couple of days prior to cruising in February and I intend to check with the Nieman Marcus store there to see if they carry it. I do know that the BE Mineral Veil does not eliminate the silver sheen of BE foundation. I guess it is a matter of taste as to whether you like the look. Meanwhile I am happy with my Bobbi Brown and Lancome foundations. I do think though that Mineral Makeup will become more and more popular as it is perfected.

I don't beleive so, the luscious kabuki is more dense, fuller and softer, then a regular kabuki...it is the magic to minerals...the minerals will stay in the luscious kabuki till they are released and buffed into the skin... I remember when I started using minerals about 5 years ago that I had a regular sable foundation brush and the minerals would fall out before I would get them up to my face....plus the foundation brush had a long handle...the luscious kabuki I have is short in length and you have much more control on the placement of the minerals when you have something only 3 or 4 inches from your face instead of 9 or 10 ...

just my 2 cents,

Lana

A couple of people have mentioned that BE foundation has a sheen to it from mica. The only product I have with a sheen is the eye "glimmer" that is supposed to have it. I don't see any sheen in the foundation, blush, warmth bronzer, mineral veil, or the regular (not glimpse or glimmer) eyeshadows that I've tried. I haven't tried any of the other mineral makeups so I have nothing to compare to but I am happy with the Bare Escentuals.

I haven't noticed the silver sheen, either. I thought maybe it was just me, but it looks very matte on my skin. I think that is going to take some getting used to (I've only been using it about 2 months) as I was accustomed to a more dewey finish, but I really like the coverage and application, so I'm hooked!

LOVE MY BE. I have also not noticed the purported sheen in the foundation. I have found it to be very matte.

I have also seen BE at ULTA here in Pittsburgh, but not at the Sephora here. The thing about QVC is, if you don't like it, you can send it back within 30 days.

Kim

Thanks all.

I'm going to check at a Sephora when I walk by one next and I'll check online for both the kabuki brush and the luscious kabuki brush.

I've been using a short handled Chanel brush with a rounded dome for my Bella Donna minerals. It's a high quality brush that seems to work fine and the minerals cling to it well. However, if I'd be interested in trying one that's even better, if possible. The website talked about the different coverage you get if you use the flat kabuki brush vs a domed top brush.

I've asked a few friends if my foundation looks different - better or worse. No one says it looks different. That's actually fine with me, because using the minerals eliminates the need for powder over my base, so it's cutting down a step and eliminating the need to purchase a product.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy and wonderful new year.

Jane

Hey Jane,

Just a quick note- I have ordered from DermStore.com twice for Bare Escentuals products and have been able to obtain a 25% discount using the coupon code BEADDICTS! It's great to get that good of a discount and they've been very good about shipping the items to me in a timely manner.

Oops! I just went to DermStore.com to make a purchase and the coupon code does not seem to be working anymore. Has anybody else used this one recently? I loved that discount!

Hello again,

Just wanted to let you all know something about the Mineral Veil. As mentioned earlier the Mineral Veil does have mica in it (aluminum) and has been reported that it causes Alzheimers.

The other bare essentials do not have mica in them.

Hello again,

Just wanted to let you all know something about the Mineral Veil. As mentioned earlier the Mineral Veil does have mica in it (aluminum) and has been reported that it causes Alzheimers.

The other bare essentials do not have mica in them.

You might want to check out this site as they DO have other products with mica in them also....

I consider Mica a key ingredient and did not associate it with aluminum at all, it is in the line of mineral cosmetics that I carry and in almost all other cosmetics on the market today...

http://www.baresense.com/loose_foundation?b=1

and also found this site listing safe cosmetics, foundations

http://www.zerozits.com/SafeCosmetics/Foundation.htm

Lana

HI, I live in CA also and have seen the ads for ULTA stores, havn't been there yet. Will they let me sample the BE type make up in store to see what it is like, and see if I am allergic, have some problems with make up that way. Also is this BE make up for older ladies skin as well as younger ladies skin ? I really don't watch QVC and havn't seen this make demonstrated, so this thread on this board peaked my interest. Is it expensive ?? I know everyone probably already knows this stuff , so am sorry to be redundant. Thanks.

Cori

Archived