Alaska cruise help

mmpadp

My husband and I want book an Alaska cruise next summer (late July). We like balcony rooms on a lower deck generally in the center of the ship. My question is: Would it be to our advantage to book ASAP or should we wait and shop around for a good deal? We will be driving, so we must depart and arrive at the same port. Any suggestions? Any experience with getting or not getting your desired location by booking a little later. Thanks in advance for all your help.

We book as early as possible - particularly our May 31, 2010 to AK because we wanted a particular cabin on the Amsterdam. I think the advantage to booking early is if you have a specific cabin in mind - then just wait to see if the price drops (you can get the price drops prior to final payment) or see if you are offered an upsell or upgrade. So I vote for booking now and getting your ducks in a row!:p

I cannot comment on booking early or later. We have done this both ways. I would book early because it seems that you really want to see Alaska and why quibble over money (as important as it is).

Some ideas...Princess has 10 day round trip cruises from San Francisco (or did so this year).

And if you are headed up to the Pacific Northwest, do not miss Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

We were thinking of going in 2010, but have decided to put it off a year and make it a celebration of DH's retirement. Anyway, we book early, then watch the prices and get our price adjusted downward if the price falls. When I was looking for cabins for 2010, I found that the ones I really wanted were already booked. So, I would go ahead and book now so you can get the cabin you want.

We did our first Alaska cruise this year on the Serenade out of Vancouver. Great time! We usually book early to get our choice of cabins, but we didn't have this one planned. I was just looking at prices and because they were so much lower this year, we decided to go for it. As luck would have it, we got an aft balcony (our favorite) only four months before the cruise. Next year I believe the Rhapsody out of Seattle is the only ship doing a round trip itinerary. I would book as soon as you can so you can get the better choices of cabins, then just watch for price drops. Have a wonderful time!:)

Quick question - can you take advantage of price drops after you pay for the cruise (ie get some money refunded or in on board credit) or only before final payment?

I can only speak for HAL but if the price drops before you make your final payment, there is usually a reduction in your cost.

My personal cruise consultant at HAL says the the early reservations have a higher opportunity for FREE upgrades.

Archived