Why do you prefer Carnival?

BearClaw28

The cheeseburgers on Carnival are awesome! And on the Miracle they had self serve fries! What can beat that?? :p

I actually disliked the burgers on Princess! And I always love cheeseburgers. So Carnival wins that round! :)

Oh...and good value and they have those aft wraps!

I like RCL Voyager best out of Galveston, awesome ship, lovely and classy decor.

15 s.f. one way or another just isnt that big of a deal

Ecstasy is my next favorite.

Conquest for variety, but dont really like the new big screen, ruins the pool for me.

It is, if it's in the bathroom. I like RCCL too, but their showers are pretty much useless (Radiance class).

often, but not always. even more often for the 'entry level' cabins, like interiors and oceanview cabins...

well then, let me be the first to suggest you try the steak house / supper club, if it's available on your ship. that'll be the best food you find on the ship, no doubt... i'd be interested in your professional / trained opinion :)

they do, but carnival's are often better in comparison. cruises of the same number of nights often have more port stops, and tend to stay longer than on other lines. i've noted this in particular in the carnival vs. rccl kinda comparisons...

First of all, thank you and everybody else for taking the time to respond to my query.

I'm going to be going on my 2nd cruise ever this Monday on the Triumph, my first was in the early 90's and I don't even remember what cruise line it was. My parents will be on the ship as well and they've been on tons of cruises but never on Carnival so I know I'll get their compare and contrast while on the boat. I was just curious for other opinions and for what to expect. I'm thinking about taking a longer cruise in Europe next year but don't know which cruiseline I should book, these opinions are helpful.

When I call myself a foodie, I don't want that to be interpreted that I hold my nose in the air to anything that isn't 4 star cuisine. I love all types of food and can fully appreciate a good burger or a simple roasted chicken. When I get back, I plan on doing a food based review.

Bear Claw, Foodie here too. The menus look pretty good and I'm taking into consideration it is like a 3000 person banquet for every meal. Considering that I have high expectations.

I'll start with the Sushi.

Destiny bound on Monday

Yeah I was reading a few Menus online and it looked pretty good. I'm afraid I'm going to look very gluttonous ordering 4 apps and 4 entrees. Good thing my brother and parents will be dining with me so it won't look too bad. I just want to try everything.

I agree with you on the banquet preparations in the kitchen and plan on taking that into account. I don't think I'll be getting anything prepared ala minute. I want to go in with tempered expectations despite all the good things I've heard.

I have the late seating so I know I'll hit the sushi at least once. I don't expect Nobu though. ;)

speaking of great ports any CCL cruise that stops at St Maarten I'm there. So presently have no CCL cruise booked.;)

Bill

The Glory stops at St Maarten!!

Sep 12, 09....7 days from Port Canerval

The Victory, Miracle, Glory, Dream all make stops there. All depends what dates you need

My wife and I dicided on Carnival for our first cruise and have done two more since and I one booked for October. We have had the time of our lifes on all three and see no reason at all to go to a different cruise line. We had thought about doing a Princess cruise for our upcoming trip, but we were worried about differences and if we would enjoy and have as much fun. Not to mention the differences in the people cruising with us. Would they be as friendly as the passagers on Carnival. Would the staff be totally different. So we just said, let be safe and do another Carnival cruise, and now we are positive that we will have a great time again.

We had friends we met on our second cruise who recently did a RCCL cruise. They told us never again, they didn't have nearly as much fun on RCCL as they have had on their two Carnival cruises. They are now looking to do another Carnival cruise.

aside from the aforementioned value versus other lines...

the FUN factor...

i appreciate the relaxed atmosphere, the stellar nightlife, the live music all over the place, the PIANO BAR, the funny cruise events, other entertainment like the comedians, and of course the food, cabins, relative lack of extra charges, and all that.

as a still relatively young adult, i also take comfort in the fact that there are a larger proportion of young or YOUNG AT HEART cruisers on carnival... for that reason, i'm likely to stick around for a little while here. :cool:

Mark, I think you really hit on it. The people on Carnival cruises seem to be more "Young at heart". I think they are also friendlier. On a cruise I want to relax AND have fun. Our cruises on NCL,RCL, and X were great (for me all cruises are great :D). But the really fun cruises were on CCL. And I think (like you said) it's because more people are young at heart. DW and I are in our early 50's, and we stay out as long as there's something going on, usually 1-2am. We're both up by 7:30, but we take naps around the pool during the day, in between activities, so we're raring to go by dinner time to do it all over again.

If I'm paying for it and all things are equal, then price is always the reason. Now if someone else is paying for I'll go on any cruiseline and any ship. Other than that there are times when itineraries dictate the cruiseline.

.....Rick

I have sailed on Carnival and RCL, and I enjoy both. Price is not really a factor, since Carnival is more expensive about the same number of times that RCL is more expensive. I don't know why people say RCL is always more expensive...check the prices on their websites. For example, check out the 3 day from Miami. Same departure dates, same port, same destination....Carnival is almost always more expensive (and for the extra money, you don't even get to go to a private island). On my last cruise, I switched from a $60/night/person RCL cruise to a $90/night/person Carnival cruise...same week...same departure port...same basic destinations.

I enjoy the entertainment on RCL better, as well as the activities (skating, rock climbing, etc.) I like the private island destinations on RCL. The food was a bit better on Carnival. Also there seemed to be way more trivia contests on Carnival if you like that sort of thing.

I really (really) disliked all the dancing on tables in the main dining room on Carnival, and the guys doing card tricks at the table. On RCL, the singing by the staff is limited to the last night, and they have strolling musicians instead of card tricks.

I have sailed on Carnival and RCL, and I enjoy both. Price is not really a factor, since Carnival is more expensive about the same number of times that RCL is more expensive. I don't know why people say RCL is always more expensive...check the prices on their websites. For example, check out the 3 day from Miami. Same departure dates, same port, same destination....Carnival is almost always more expensive (and for the extra money, you don't even get to go to a private island). On my last cruise, I switched from a $60/night/person RCL cruise to a $90/night/person Carnival cruise...same week...same departure port...same basic destinations.

I enjoy the entertainment on RCL better, as well as the activities (skating, rock climbing, etc.) I like the private island destinations on RCL. The food was a bit better on Carnival. Also there seemed to be way more trivia contests on Carnival if you like that sort of thing.

I really (really) disliked all the dancing on tables in the main dining room on Carnival, and the guys doing card tricks at the table. On RCL, the singing by the staff is limited to the last night, and they have strolling musicians instead of card tricks.

RCCL is always more expensive then CCL out of the New York area. Its several hundred more sometimes. Ive checked many times and still do. So, I stay with CCL. Sometimes RCCL runs specials, but thats usually when we cant go!!

"Bang for the buck"

Agreed!

My family and I have sailed on several cruise lines ~ Carnival is the most consistent and you get MORE than what you pay for. The service is great. They have a great variety of food ~ they really try to impress, and usually do! The soft-serve ice cream and pizza keeps our son happy and that makes mom & dad VERY happy! IMO Disney is the best cruise line EVER, but for the price of 1 Disney balcony cabin we can cruise 2 or 3 times a year on Carnival! It's a no-brainer!

Agreed!

My family and I have sailed on several cruise lines ~ Carnival is the most consistent and you get MORE than what you pay for. The service is great. They have a great variety of food ~ they really try to impress, and usually do! The soft-serve ice cream and pizza keeps our son happy and that makes mom & dad VERY happy! IMO Disney is the best cruise line EVER, but for the price of 1 Disney balcony cabin we can cruise 2 or 3 times a year on Carnival! It's a no-brainer!

Now ya talkin!!;)

Mark, I think you really hit on it. The people on Carnival cruises seem to be more "Young at heart". I think they are also friendlier. On a cruise I want to relax AND have fun. Our cruises on NCL,RCL, and X were great (for me all cruises are great :D). But the really fun cruises were on CCL. And I think (like you said) it's because more people are young at heart. DW and I are in our early 50's, and we stay out as long as there's something going on, usually 1-2am. We're both up by 7:30, but we take naps around the pool during the day, in between activities, so we're raring to go by dinner time to do it all over again.

If I'm paying for it and all things are equal, then price is always the reason. Now if someone else is paying for I'll go on any cruiseline and any ship.

i'm glad you agree :D my little bro (21) put it to me very well on our last cruise - 'everyone here just wants to make friends'. it's true! and everybody should be open to that.

i 'made friends' with a bunch of people (30's, 40's, 50's and greater, that i'd probably never come across) that i'd probably not often happen across... but a harmony in the piano bar can do wonders...

now, mind you, in my every day business life - i meet plenty of people in this same demo. and mind you, i'd count many among my best friends or mentors... but here's where the young at heart comes to play.

i just appreciate that i can find like minded individuals, in a decent proportion, onboard, instead of judgmental or otherwise non-receptive people across the manifest of the ship. works for me ;)

Price, people, crew, ports and food.

I've cruise 11 times on Carnival and one each on NCL Spirit and Island Princess.

On the NCL and Princess ships it was like being in a floating Nursing home. Granted the itinerary was great on both ships and we had a good time in the ports but the ships were a ghost town after 9:00 every night.

Also it was almost like there were "unscheduled" motorized scooter races on the lido everyday....BEEP!!! BEEP!!! BEEP!!!! Not my idea of fun.

Price, people, crew, ports and food.

I've cruise 11 times on Carnival and one each on NCL Spirit and Island Princess.

On the NCL and Princess ships it was like being in a floating Nursing home. Granted the itinerary was great on both ships and we had a good time in the ports but the ships were a ghost town after 9:00 every night.

Also it was almost like there were "unscheduled" motorized scooter races on the lido everyday....BEEP!!! BEEP!!! BEEP!!!! Not my idea of fun.

lmao:D

speaking of great ports any CCL cruise that stops at St Maarten I'm there. So presently have no CCL cruise booked.;)

Bill

We were on the Glory on May 2nd and it stopped in St. Marteen. It does every other week!;)

Fun,

Food,

laid back,

Room size,

VALUE,

friendly service.

not boring and beige.

teak decks on most ships.

I do not have to dress up as much.

I wear a friggin tux for a living.

The fact that I can actually afford a suite, vs inside room on some lines.

Most passengers are young at heart and not stuck up.

Some of my friends think I am crazy for liking Carnival as much as I do,

but their loss.

Tom in Long Beach

Carnival provides a good product for the dollar.

One year we tried 3 times to go RCCL and every time the cruise (for a family of four) was $1,000 more.

Now if you have RCCL's oldest ship going out of a port that Carnival has a new ship going out of .... you may be able to go RCCL cheaper....and there are always the exceptions like sales.

But in general, you are going to pay more for RCCL and "some would say" rightfully so...because RCCL offers some different things like ice skating etc.

Personally, we have stayed with Carnival because of the exceptional care they have given our son with Autism. He knows what to expect (which means a lot for a child with this disorder). Now that he is older (just turned 18) he knows a lot of the staff (he heads out on his 32nd Carnival cruise next month) and that makes him feel more at ease.

I like Carnival for their karaoke and piano bar. RCCL offers karaoke but from what I am told (not personal experience but from people who have sailed with them) ... they use an MP3 for their karaoke and do not have pitch control. That would not work for me. I have a restricted range and have to have the songs pitched in a certain key.

While we clearly love Carnival's product.....as we have gotten older (and are no longer restricted to the school schedule)... we do select the times we cruise more carefully.

Because of the 1A's I feel that Carnival is more solo-friendly than other lines. Sure, there are deals to be had once in a while on other lines, but by and large, I can usually always find a lower price on Carnival by booking a 1A. And as a solo, that's plenty of room for me. The only time I will pay more is for a specific itinerary that Carnival doesn't offer.

Our last 3 cruises have been on DCL, we chose CCL (Pride) this time for 3 reasons, first, our friends were going on it and had already scheduled, second, it's 45 minutes to the baltimore port and finally, we both just need to get away for a while, it could have been on Bob's Big Boat and I'd of been happy to have some get-away scheduled. I haven't been on CCL since 1995, I'm sure it's changed, I hope it has atleast. We leave in 16 days, I'm looking forward to it. Have no expectations of it comparing to DCL, just plan on enjoying it for what it is, if it does compare to DCL then I will be pleasantly surprised. Cost isn't a big factor to us, we like what we like.

We have another cruise scheduled for 3/28/10 on RCCL, have never been on them. Doing RCCL because it is the only line that does the Motorcycle Cruises where you bring your own bike to ride the islands.

What are some of the reasons why you prefer Carnival over the other cruise lines? Or why do you prefer other cruise lines over Carnival?

Aside from price.

I prefer RCCL over CCL because the people who sail on it can read and understand a question.

Look at all the CCL cruisers here who answered your question with "Price" even after you posted "Aside from Price".

STeve

Just kidding.:p:D:p:D

Good product they offer,just like Walmart.

Welcome to Walmart:)

I have no basis for comparison, but I stay with Carnival (17 cruises) for many reasons.

I guess the most important is I thoroughly enjoy the experience, and I'm familiar with the cadence of Carnival ships. I've been platinum for a while and just can't find a reason to switch and give up that perk.

I think the MDR food is good to great, with a great variety. There are parts of the Lido dining experience that I enjoy too. Pizza, burgers, omlete station, carving station, salads.....deli, fish-n-chips....but I really don't eat there often...I like the MDR for most meals.

I've sailed in every category of cabin but to economize and sail more often we book IS Gty's and that is plenty of room for sister and I.

The entertainment and activities are enjoyable even though I don't often participate any more.

To me boarding a Carnival ship is like going back to my hometown for a week. I don't have to think about where I am or what I'm likely to encounter. It's truely the best of what I think a vacation should be, total relaxation intermingled with as much activity as I choose to become involved in, along with lots of fun people and a happy, friendly crew.

Archived